sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2018 12:26 pm  #1

Star Trek, The CFL, The CBSC And The Dreaded “F” Word

Canada’s Broadcast Standards Council is at it again, this time issuing admonishments against cable stations that dared to allow the use of a certain notorious four letter word that starts with the letter “F.”

Two recent complaints from extremely nitpicky viewers are almost so spurious, it’s hard to imagine the CBSC wasted their time with them. And yet, they not only ruled on them, they sanctioned the stations behind them, even though they were on cable and not broadcast TV.

The first centered on the new “Star Trek Discovery” series that’s shot right here in Toronto. During a recent episode shown on Space (ironically enough called “Choose Your Pain”) two characters used the word “fuck” in some joking dialogue. (You can read the entire transcript of this horrible offence here.)

It happened during the 8 o’clock (PM) hour, exactly 60 minutes before the so-called safe zone for that language is allowed on Canadian TV. And so, a viewer complained, indicating he or she was shocked by such language coming from a normally “responsible” show like Star Trek.

For its part, Space admits it knew about the words, and issued a ratings warning about language, which it thought was enough. But after much rendering of verbal garments and gnashing of proverbial teeth, the CBSC decided that, yes, Space did violate the rules and must issue the usual mea culpas on air for this egregious sin.

(What the Commission didn’t note is that this version of Star Trek is actually made for online distribution as part of CBS’ All-Access service and thus language rules don’t really apply to what is supposed to be an online show. Instead, they contend Space should have edited the offending words out.)

Perhaps even worse is the second F-ing thing. This one happened during a CFL game on TSN4 last October, when the Ti-Cats scored and one excited player was heard on a crowd mic yelling, “Yeah, motherfucker!” “Fucking go, boy!” and “Fucking, yeah!”

Imagine – such language from players during a football game! Who would have expected it? The horror! Needless to say, a viewer complained because, again, it wasn’t after 9 PM, why weren’t they warned and won’t somebody think of the children? (You can read the complaint here.)

As a result of this – and the announcers not issuing a proper apology on air when the foul language occurred – TSN has to air some public sorrow for violating the broadcaster code.

Look, I’m all for certain standards on TV. But when does something that’s either clearly an accident during a live show or else a minor moment in an otherwise clean show merit this much time and energy from so many people?

I’m glad I don’t work at the CBSC. It would drive me f-king crazy. Only I couldn’t say it on TV until after 9 PM. Even if I’m on cable.

April 27, 2018 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Star Trek, The CFL, The CBSC And The Dreaded “F” Word

The broadcaster concluded with the following:  “We realize that coarse language should not air before 9 p.m. but felt challenged with the idea of editing such an iconic show with a cult following especially in light of how the coarse language was used”.  Space concluded with an apology for offending the viewer.

How about airing the show at 9PM for that week? Or, airing an edited version at 8PM and the uncut version during late night off hours? You could promote that through social media.

April 27, 2018 2:18 pm  #3

C'mon, give me a break! Those precious snowflakes heard a swear word on television? They must be traumatized and need a therapy lizard.

It's 2018 and most people have PVRs, record the show and watch at their convenience, bypassing the commercials. Does that commission actually believe that those snowflakes watch television in real time? Please.

April 27, 2018 4:45 pm  #4

I think most of us know that the CBSC is simply an excuse for broadcasters to avoid the CRTC. “We’ll police ourselves,” they told the feds and this group is the result.

It seems like a good idea on the surface, but consider what happens whenever a frivolous complaint is received. Someone from the station involved has to find the offending material and cue it up to watch it, and then take the time to respond to the viewer and the CBSC (and there’s a time limit on when they answer, so they can’t put it off for long.) They also have to prepare a statement if they’re found to be “guilty” of whatever sin they’ve supposedly committed and devote airtime to it.

When the typically outraged viewer doesn’t find the answer acceptable, it gets kicked over to the Commission. They then:

-Have to contact the station involved and get their side of it
-Watch the supposedly offending footage and have a transcript made up of the dialogue involved.
-Contact the viewer if needed
-Set up a session where a panel of judges sits around and discusses what happened
-Look up the code of conduct and debate if it’s been violated
-Issue a decision and tell the station what it is.
-Update the website.

All this takes time, money and effort. And for what? Because one viewer heard a dirty word an hour early? I’m all for having stations be responsible to the public, but in too many cases listed on the site, this seems to be a case of too much trouble for too little result.

CBSC Decisions Page 

And by the way, how come none of this applies to the movie channels, like HBO or the Movie Network? They show films featuring swearing, nudity and sex at all hours of the day. Are they exempt? If they're not, they likely wouldn't have enough material to show during the day and no one would subscribe. If the answer is that they're a paid service and you know what you're getting, my answer is: aren't you also paying for cable? What's the difference? 

Finally, a reminder of a complaint so stupid, even the CBSC noted it wasn't worth their time. But they had to spend hours investigating it, anyway. 

April 27, 2018 4:52 pm  #5

Sorry to overpost on this, but this may be my favourite quote from the Star Trek decision:

"The CBSC has consistently stated that the uncensored broadcast of the word “fuck” and its variations is not acceptable before the 9:00 pm Watershed period. The only exceptions made were in relation to live event programming and French-language programming."  

So THAT was Space's big mistake. They should have shown the thing in French!

As for exceptions being made for "live event programming," well, what else would you call a CFL game?

Sheesh!

April 27, 2018 7:18 pm  #6

I once said " that was a pucking great hockey game" on-air during my show on a rock radio station after a close game where we'd won, barely. I probably popped the P in 'pucking' to make sure I was heard correctly. Two days later I get called into the PD's office, had to explain myself, got praised for the attempt, then chewed out for not realizing that some of the listeners would either mishear the word, or hear it correctly, and still object.

This latest dumb AF kerfuffle about profanity sounds like the CBSC is an organization with people trying to keep their jobs, and justify their paychecks.

I think Stafford's had a scalding comment or three about the CBSC.

FWIW "RadioActive" your topics and postings keep everything percolating at a healthy rate, the content's solid, plus the way the b.y.b. works there's pretty much no such thing as overposting. People can read or not.

Last edited by betaylored (April 27, 2018 7:44 pm)

April 27, 2018 8:09 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

I once said " that was a pucking great hockey game" on-air during my show on a rock radio station after a close game where we'd won, barely. I probably popped the P in 'pucking' to make sure I was heard correctly. Two days later I get called into the PD's office, had to explain myself, got praised for the attempt, then chewed out for not realizing that some of the listeners would either mishear the word, or hear it correctly, and still object.

This latest dumb AF kerfuffle about profanity sounds like the CBSC is an organization with people trying to keep their jobs, and justify their paychecks.

I think Stafford's had a scalding comment or three about the CBSC.

FWIW "RadioActive" your topics and postings keep everything percolating at a healthy rate, the content's solid, plus the way the b.y.b. works there's pretty much no such thing as overposting. People can read or not.

I enjoy RA's postings too - very thoughtful and timely.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 28, 2018 9:27 pm  #8

@betyalored & @Dale Patterson

Thanks for your kind comments about my sometime overbearing verbosity. (There I go again!) I appreciate the sentiment, although I often think my fingers do the walking on this site a little too much!