sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2018 12:44 am  #1

Men Earn Almost 10% More Than Women In Most CBC Jobs

Well, well, well. It appears the CBC, that bastion of liberal thought and left wing expression, has been caught in a very un-liberal practice: paying some of its male employees almost 10% more than the women who work with them.

And while it doesn't happen when it comes to news reporters, the story, which appears in The Globe and Mail, explains that male editors,  producers and managers all earn more dough than their female counterparts in the exact same positions. The study admits that factors like length of service and something called "additional remuneration" is also at play, but the bottom line is that there's a gender pay gap going on at the Corp.

None of this would be so deliciously ironic, of course, if the CBC didn't make itself out to be standing directly for feminism, pay equity and gender fairness. Forgive me if this sounds like gloating, but if it wasn't for the national broadcaster's holier-than-thou and apparently hypocritical attitude about such things, I'm not sure this story would resonate with me so much.

I wonder how this revelation is going over with the female staff there this morning.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/article-male-cbc-hosts-earn-almost-95-per-cent-more-on-average-than-their/

April 20, 2018 6:17 am  #2

Re: Men Earn Almost 10% More Than Women In Most CBC Jobs

The study admits that factors like length of service and something called "additional remuneration" is also at play, but the bottom line is that there's a gender pay gap going on at the Corp.

So there isn't actually a gap. Younger people earn less than their seniors. Really shocking. I figure the current National configuration is actually an attempt to cut costs like that. By making it a team, each individual becomes replaceable, so they can easily swap out/let people go/not give them raises. No more star anchors or salary monoliths.

If someone makes enough of a stink about it on Twitter, I'm sure the CBC will start docking wages.