sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2018 9:23 pm  #1

Play-By-Play Man Among Those Killed In Saskatchewan Bus Crash

The terrible tragedy that unfolded on Friday in Saskatchewan has made headlines around the world. Even NBC News sent one of their longtime reporters, Ron Mott, to the scene of the bus crash, which is highly unusual for a Canadian story.

And it's now been revealed that this awful incident has a broadcasting connection of a different sort. One of the victims has been revealed to be the announcer who did the play-by-play for the Humboldt Broncos.

Radio broadcaster Tyler Bieber remembered as a passionate volunteer 

April 8, 2018 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Play-By-Play Man Among Those Killed In Saskatchewan Bus Crash

Another Bolt-FM employee, Brody Hinz, also died in the crash:

https://discoverhumboldt.com/local/two-bolt-fm-members-die-in-crash

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 8, 2018 9:08 pm  #3

There's a heartbreaking Canadian Press photo that speaks volumes, it's a close-up of a broken DVD of the classic hockey movie 'Slap Shot' lying on the frozen mud at the intersection where the crash occurred.

That photo, and the team photographs, and the stories of the families affected are what stand out. Radio hosts could have a tough time discussing this tomorrow, and in the days ahead.

Last edited by betaylored (April 8, 2018 9:17 pm)

April 8, 2018 10:10 pm  #4

April 10, 2018 5:44 am  #5

TSN1050's Gord Miller added a special touch to his #SticksOutForHumbolt tribute. He tweeted out a photo of hockey sticks placed outside his front door, as so many people have done to show their support. Except Gord placed a set of headphones, with mic attached to them, the same kind play-by-play sports broadcasters wear, next to the hockey sticks, to honor the loss of Tyler Bieber, from Bolt-FM.

When I saw that, I thought of what "grilled cheese" had said, and was glad Gord had tweeted out that photo, and I remembered that Dale P. had posted that there was another radio loss, and that Brody Hinz, the Bolt-FM intern, had also sadly died in the crash.

Last edited by betaylored (April 10, 2018 5:46 am)

April 10, 2018 11:13 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

I suppose I should have added, in big bold letters "SARCASM INTENDED", to my post. 

Obviously there were many other victims but since this is a radio board, it's natural to emphasize the radio side of the story.

Radio West has a similar thread on this:

http://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29302

April 10, 2018 1:25 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

I suppose I should have added, in big bold letters "SARCASM INTENDED", to my post. 

Nope, no big bold letters necessary g.c. the sarcastic second sentence was clearly meant to be just that, AND your first sentence, focusing on the radio side of the tragedy made a really good point. Most if not all of the coverage and discussions in the media have focused only on the players, and the Bolt-FM deaths did deserve acknowledgement. Radio, like hockey, is a pretty good, tightly knit group of people, which is why I appreciated Gord Miller's photo of the headphones.

Last edited by betaylored (April 10, 2018 1:26 pm)

April 10, 2018 3:50 pm  #8

April 10, 2018 4:00 pm  #9

betaylored wrote:

Radio, like hockey, is a pretty good, tightly knit group of people, which is why I appreciated Gord Miller's photo of the headphones.

And as radio and hockey have been joined at the hip ever since some newspaper guy grabbed a mic and  'fostered' the phraseology "He shoots.  He scores!" it 'all' seems to work here and elsewhere.

What a horror.  [although I must admit I was just as moved by the loss of all of those school kids when that bus plummeted in the gorge yesterday in India...not to mention what's happened to all of those kids, and their Moms and Dads in Syria]  Sometimes the world just gets 'it' wrong.

As a former partner in a junior hockey club...this one, in Humbolt...really was a little too close to home.  It's evil.

April 12, 2018 3:43 pm  #10

Thursday was the funeral for Tyler Bieber, the play-by-play man of the Humboldt Broncos. But it occurred to me as he's laid to rest that there's been one thing missing throughout any of the coverage surrounding him - there hasn't been a second of audio available of his actually calling one of the games. 

When an announcer passes or even just retires - think Jerry Howarth or Tom Cheek - the airwaves are full of excerpts from their broadcasting career to illustrate how they sounded. But there's been nothing for this unfortunate victim of that horrific accident. I can't believe the radio station he worked for didn't save anything.

It's too bad. I would have been curious to hear what he sounded like and given the sad circumstances that's silenced him forever, it would have been nice to pay tribute to him with a few seconds of his own sound.

April 12, 2018 6:09 pm  #11

I would guess that there's any number of parents and fans who have recorded the Humboldt games.

Once some time has passed, maybe some of Tyler's play by play will surface and be shared by his family, friends or fans with the general public. I agree R.A. one would think Bolt-FM would/should've had some sound saved.