sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2017 6:29 pm  #1

Jack Berkovits Claims CFRB Fired Him For Speaking His Mind

I rarely listen to Jack Berkovits on AM 640 but on Sunday's show, I happened to catch a caller noting how much he liked hearing his old show on 1010. Berkovits replied that he was fired for speaking his mind - although he did not elaborate on what issue might have led to his sudden dismissal. 

And then he claimed that after he was let go, he received calls from "all over the country" presumably seeking his services as a talk show host. And that he went with AM 640 because they were the only ones who would let him speak freely. 

I won't comment on that last statement, instead leaving it to the collective wisdom of the SOWNY-ites to say whether they believe this could possibly be true.   

December 31, 2017 6:38 pm  #2

Re: Jack Berkovits Claims CFRB Fired Him For Speaking His Mind

Berkovits volunteered to work for 640 on NY's Eve, which I'll give him credit for. Better than the endless repackaged rerolls on CFRB. 

In an interview with Sue Anne Levy on Sunday, he finally elaborated on why he was supposedly fired from 1010. He claims that he was getting death threats for his position on Muslims, and he was terminated when he refused to tone it down. He also insists he talked to a lot of "other stations" (I would love to see that list - how many actually do talk in this market?) and was allegedly asked to "tone down his Jewishness" which he refused to do. 

I have no evidence that anything he said isn't true, but I do have a hard time believing in this ultra sensitive day and age - when people will sue over anything - that a station would use this as an excuse to terminate someone or refuse to hire that same person.

Perhaps Jack should have a chat with 640 sponsor Lior Samfiru or the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

December 31, 2017 7:10 pm  #3

As long as the audience is happy with believing David Copperfield just cut his assistant in half; then does it really matter if he actually did just cut his assistant in half?

December 31, 2017 9:05 pm  #4

I just find it almost impossible to believe any would-be employer in this day and age would openly tell an applicant, "you're too Jewish." Even if they felt that way, and hopefully they wouldn't, they would certainly have the sense to say something like, "you don't meet our needs right now, but we'll keep your resume on file." Or "we're going in another direction, but thanks."

No way would they EVER say it's because of his religion or ethnic origin. And I can't fathom that multiple companies would do it, as Berkovits claims. The potential lawsuits and the damages would be back-breaking in court.

December 31, 2017 11:03 pm  #5

WHAT?! Jack exaggerating? Say it isn't so! After all, he sells THE best costume jewellery at 500% off then another 50% off and he'll pay the HST. Plus, his "going out of business" sale is well into its 17th year now. And, his restaurant? Well Gordon Ramsay, himself, couldn't come within a country mile of the shadow his Chef farts in, in comparison. 🙄🤔