sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2017 9:01 am  #1

The Tune-Out Effect of Tom

If you were listening this morning around 7:40, you'd have to wonder about the effect of an advertiser blathering on about the new driving rules on King Street, and how he's an awfully bad driver, although he's a safe driver. At that point, I just switched from Newstalk 1010 to the Sportsnet station, so I will never know if Tommy ever got around to talking about his suits. He constantly admits to running overtime while talking.

I know stations need every advertiser these days but is it worth it when people tune out, and/or turn the dial.

Last edited by betaylored (November 14, 2017 6:19 am)

November 13, 2017 2:23 pm  #2

Re: The Tune-Out Effect of Tom

Consensus at a High Street (closed Mondays) luncheon last winter was that Tom is one of the easiest to take because it is live (unlike the canned Frank Leo testimonials, for example)

November 23, 2017 8:59 am  #3

It's Thursday morning, November 23rd and Tom has just done his regular 7:38am ad on Newstalk 1010 where he describes the social function he attended last night.

Apparently a rabbi came up to him and critiqued his on-air skills, tactfully and  kindly encouraging Tom to talk more about his terrific store, and not so much about everything else.

Tom took the advice, and spent more time this morning talking about his business. I think there's something in the Jewish faith, the word escapes me, where you perform a service for someone. I think the rabbi did such a service last night, and Tom took his advice in good faith, so to speak

Last edited by betaylored (November 23, 2017 9:10 am)

November 23, 2017 11:14 am  #4

betaylored wrote:

I think there's something in the Jewish faith, the word escapes me, where you perform a service for someone.

mitzvah

November 23, 2017 7:40 pm  #5

So...that must mean that a 'bar' mitzvah is when some mensch foots the bill so that I can get schikered?   I'm getting shpilkes just thinking about it.  I better go take a schvitz and calm my self down. 

---------------------------

cG...speaking of mitzvahs...isn't it time for you to weigh in with some...especially for the downtrodden and unemployed in this business you continually seem to champion on behalf of cold-blooded management?  You must just HATE Charles Dickens.  Oh sorry...reading...books...that's so 1862.

Last edited by Old Codger (November 23, 2017 7:42 pm)

November 24, 2017 2:57 am  #6

cGrant wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I think there's something in the Jewish faith, the word escapes me, where you perform a service for someone.

mitzvah

Thanks cGrant