sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2017 5:00 pm  #1

CKTB Finally Ends Pointless CFRB Simulcast

It started with Mike Bullard and after he left, it continued with Jim Richards. Both Toronto personalities were prominently featured for a single hour on CKTB, Bell Media’s St. Catharines talk station. It’s not like either of the two hosts featured generic programming or topics specific for both communities.

Instead, it was simply an easy way to fill an hour they had empty and were too cheap to hire anyone else to do. And I’m aware from their on air comments that a lot of 610’s listeners deeply resented the Toronto intrusion that had nothing to do with their market.

Now finally, it’s changed, after CKTB introduced a 2-3 PM show this week that replaces the Showgram simulcast. It’s hosted by a guy named Jacob Bregsma, the lead singer of a local Niagara area band called “My Son The Hurricane.” (Sounds like a name Mike Stafford might have conjured up!) And it’s so new, it’s not even mentioned on their website as of this posting.

So far, I haven’t had a chance to hear a lot of it, but the few minutes I’ve managed to tune in seems to centre almost entirely on the fact that he’s a musician and is always talking about music, and that he’s a millennial. Whether he makes good use of that hour has yet to be determined.

But at least it’s original content and it’s good to see that an hour that used to come out of nowhere is being staffed by someone from the local area. Now all he has to do is stop talking about himself for the first ten minutes every day and get to something of interest.

August 17, 2017 8:06 pm  #2

Re: CKTB Finally Ends Pointless CFRB Simulcast

Maybe they should re-roll Staffy from 11-12p and at least get some listeners (would Bell buy this from Corus?)

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane