sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2023 8:00 am  #1

AM 740 Goes HD

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, and it could be very old news. But I just discovered that, in addition to its lower powered FM signal on 96.7, AM 740 has an HD signal as well. It's on the Classical 96.3 frequency on HD2. I'm not sure why they're duplicating the signal when they have an FM repeater, although it has a limited range. 

I'm going to try and tune it in on Monday and see (actually hear) how it sounds. And without meaning to insult those of an older age, I wonder how many average listeners in their 50+ demo are even aware of HD. Still, nice to have the extra option. 

July 10, 2023 9:32 am  #2

Re: AM 740 Goes HD

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure why they're duplicating the signal when they have an FM repeater, although it has a limited range.  

That's some good question to answer whiplash, right there!

But yeah, it's been on there at least five years.

July 10, 2023 9:42 am  #3

Not sure how I missed it. But again, seems a bit redundant. 

July 10, 2023 11:08 am  #4

The FM repeater has a very small interference-free footprint.  the HD2 covers a much larger area, given the Ehaat of CFMZ's 96.3 transmitter and the ERP of 96.3. Seemed to be a no-brainer at the time to upgrade the 96.3 transmitter for HD-2 capability.   Unfortunately little to no on-air promotion of HD-2 is done on the station(s)

July 10, 2023 11:14 am  #5

It's listed in the "Coverage Area" on their website, although you have to do some digging to find it. But it does appear most radio stations in the GTA have HD Radio, but have completely given up on it, rarely, if ever, mentioning it on air.

July 10, 2023 11:59 am  #6

None of the CN Tower stations are HD with the exception of CKFM, which is operating temporarily into a separate antenna. The Master FM antenna and combiner system is being replaced in total, and that will provide the power handling capacity and combiner bandwidth necessary for proper HD performance. 

July 10, 2023 12:02 pm  #7

HD2 sound quality (Zoomer Radio) not nearly as good as the HD1 (Classical).
HD2 like inside a rattling tin can ...Is that the best that can be from the original source? 

July 10, 2023 3:00 pm  #8

WPE9HAY wrote:

HD2 like inside a rattling tin can ...Is that the best that can be from the original source? 

It’s the best it can be without reducing the quality of the main classical signal, which would be a really bad idea.

July 10, 2023 5:22 pm  #9

Skywave wrote:

None of the CN Tower stations are HD with the exception of CKFM, which is operating temporarily into a separate antenna. The Master FM antenna and combiner system is being replaced in total, and that will provide the power handling capacity and combiner bandwidth necessary for proper HD performance. 

Has the replacement of Master started?

July 11, 2023 11:40 am  #10

Having conducted considerable audio research since this topic was launched yesterday by the SOWNY monitor,  if is my opinion that Seasons in the Sun by the late Terry Jacks (may he rest in peace) sounds no better on CFZM than on CKDO and CFOS 

July 11, 2023 9:21 pm  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

WPE9HAY wrote:

It’s the best it can be without reducing the quality of the main classical signal, which would be a really bad idea.

If you're only running two HD feeds, you can actually set both of them to 48 kbps, but my guess is they don't have enough spectrum with both 2nd adjacent frequencies on the same tower: 98.7 (their own) and 95.9 (KX repeater). Totally guessing as I don't see why else they wouldn't run it at 48 if they could. 

Last edited by torontostan (July 11, 2023 9:22 pm)

July 11, 2023 9:48 pm  #12

georgio1 wrote:

...by the late Terry Jacks (may he rest in peace)...

When did this happen?

He appears to be very much alive.

July 14, 2023 9:30 am  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

WPE9HAY wrote:

There is a reason for this...   It's the source feeding the HD2 at first Canadian Place mostly.   Could be processing, but it seems like the audio feed is more the issue than the HD signal itself causing it. 

I get why they are doing what they are.  

AM HD requires the site to be tuned to allow for it.   Sadly it's a CBC site that is old and the cost would be outside the benefit likely at this time.

96.7 is a very weak signal, and only covers downtown.   

96.3's HD2 covers a much broader area, and more cost effective to get on there.   To be honestly, if you have HD in your car, not sure why you wouldn't listen here by default for Zoomer Radio.

A station I don't understand that has dropped their HD signal is Elmnt FM.   Since they dropped it, the country station in Buffalo has their HD takes over randomly when it grabs the HD signal from there, dropping Elmnt's analog.   In the west end especially, 106.5 becomes hard to lock in because of this, unless you turn HD off on your car.  If it's some weird cost cutting measure, they may want to re-think if they want to cover the west with anything useful.