sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2023 11:54 am  #1

Alan Cross remembers when instrumentals still ruled the charts

The veteran broadcaster laments the loss of those songs without words, that were once a staple of the charts and now seem to be relegated only to background music. 

I only ever bought two instrumentals that I can recall, and both were a long time ago. One was "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" by Sounds Orchestral. The other was "Soulful Strut" by Young-Holt Unlimited. My brother bought "A Walk In The Black Forest" by Horst Jankowski when I was a kid. But other than that, every 45 we owned had lyrics. 

Alan Cross remembers when instrumentals still ruled the charts

February 19, 2023 1:10 pm  #2

Re: Alan Cross remembers when instrumentals still ruled the charts

There were many instrumentals through the 1960's and 70's. I enjoyed most of them.

Bert Kaempfert had several: Wonderland By Night, That Happy Feeling and Treat For Trumpets to name three. Paul Mauriet with Love Is Blue, Village Stompers with Washinton Square, Kenny Ball and Midnight In Moscow, Raymond Lefevre with Soul Coaxing, too many to mention from Herb Alpert. And that's just a small sample. What I loved about top 40 radio during those days is a station would play a Rolling Stones rocker and follow it with Love Is Blue. What a great diverse playlist there was.  

February 19, 2023 1:19 pm  #3

I couldn't agree more. You might get The Rolling Stones followed by Mama Cass. Or Blue Cheer's rocked out version of "Summertime Blues" which aired just before a Carpenters' record. How about a double play of Bubble Puppy and John Denver? A variety of hits and styles that would be almost impossible to imagine today, even on many oldies stations. That's what made Top 40 so great in its heyday.

It's one of the reasons I loved CKFH so much. They would play everything. Check out this example from a random week in 1970. 

February 19, 2023 2:06 pm  #4

MOR instrumentals or CFRB type music was also a factor back in the 50's into the 70's.  So called rock and roll stations actually playlisted a fair bit of MOR music which was still popular at the time.  Even Lawrence Welk had a  hit on top 40 radio in 1961 with Calcutta. 

February 19, 2023 2:19 pm  #5

When I was a teenager buying all my 45s from Wilson & Lee in Oshawa, I bought many instrumentals.

February 19, 2023 2:21 pm  #6

Not only did instrumentals disappear, so did novelty records. I think Weird Al was the last one to make a dent with one of them. There were tons of them in the 60s and 70s (Dickie Goodman's "Mr. Jaws" was #4 for weeks.) I don't think any have hit the charts in decades. 

February 19, 2023 2:25 pm  #7

John D wrote:

When I was a teenager buying all my 45s from Wilson & Lee in Oshawa, I bought many instrumentals.

Speaking of Mr. Donabie, you just happened to be on the cover of the chart I chose at random above. Look at all that hair!

February 19, 2023 3:15 pm  #8

Loved Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells.
Jessica by the Allman Brothers Band I hated and still hate with the fire of a thousand suns.
I seem to remember buying a 45 of a few hit singles and there'd be the instrumental version as the B side?

Last edited by betaylored (February 19, 2023 3:20 pm)

February 19, 2023 3:53 pm  #9

Born in the early '80s, sort of on that tail end of instrumentals charting, and I remember David Foster's "Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire" hitting it big around 1985, as well as Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel F" from '84, mentioned in Cross' article. As recently as 2020, when I was still working in radio full-time, our stations' weekend oldies show often played some of the instrumentals Cross mentioned... Meco, Average White Band, MFSB etc., and of course some Herb Alpert.

Even today, I'll sometimes play some instrumentals from the '70s through the '90s, on a Spotify playlist somewhat inspired by stations like Barrie's CHAY 93.1 or Oshawa's CKQT 94.9, both of which got some tuning in our household in the Kawarthas. Some of the artists on the list include David Foster, Jan Hammer, Dave Grusin, and Vangelis, as well as some instrumentals that CFTO used, such as Bob James' "Brooklyn Heights Boogie" (news close in the '80s, from the "Taxi" soundtrack), and ELO's "The Whale", heard in Channel 9's sign-off in the '80s and '90s.

February 19, 2023 4:03 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I couldn't agree more. You might get The Rolling Stones followed by Mama Cass. Or Blue Cheer's rocked out version of "Summertime Blues" which aired just before a Carpenters' record. How about a double play of Bubble Puppy and John Denver? A variety of hits and styles that would be almost impossible to imagine today, even on many oldies stations. That's what made Top 40 so great in its heyday.

It's one of the reasons I loved CKFH so much. They would play everything. Check out this example from a random week in 1970. 

Hate to be a stickler but Blue's Cheer's version of Summertime Blues was a hit in the summer of 1968 and the Carpenter's first hit the charts in 1970. Bubble Puppy was on the charts in the fall of 1968 and John's Denver's first chart hit was in 1971 I think. I do get your point however and the songs could have been played as oldies. I am still a proud owner of both the rock 45's and I actually remember when The first John Denver album was played on CHUM FM.

Last edited by Fitz (February 19, 2023 4:17 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 19, 2023 4:15 pm  #11

Fair point, although they played a lot of "gold" tunes on the Big 143, so it's possible they could have aired back-to-back. A great station and a lot more than #2 Radio in my mind.  

February 19, 2023 4:57 pm  #12

Fitz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Hate to be a stickler but Blue's Cheer's version of Summertime Blues was a hit in the summer of 1968 and the Carpenter's first hit the charts in 1970. Bubble Puppy was on the charts in the fall of 1968 and John's Denver's first chart hit was in 1971 I think. I do get your point however and the songs could have been played as oldies. I am still a proud owner of both the rock 45's and I actually remember when The first John Denver album was played on CHUM FM. 

Now here is a combination of songs that could have been played back to back to back in September 1968. The Sept 7 CHUM Chart that year had Jeannie C. Riley's Harper Valley PTA at #1, 1,2,3, Red Light by the 1910 Fruitgum Company at #3 and Street Fightin' Man by the Stones at #5. Country, Bubblegum and Rock! What a combination.

February 19, 2023 9:04 pm  #13

mace wrote:

Now here is a combination of songs that could have been played back to back to back in September 1968. The Sept 7 CHUM Chart that year had Jeannie C. Riley's Harper Valley PTA at #1, 1,2,3, Red Light by the 1910 Fruitgum Company at #3 and Street Fightin' Man by the Stones at #5. Country, Bubblegum and Rock! What a combination.

That reminds me of this You Tube video of a local Texas show featuring The Southwest FOB with their cover of the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band's "Smell of Incense" ( The original was the better version). Larry Kane, the host of the show, mentions Riley in introducing in the FOB and once again mentions her after their song and the fact that PTA is keeping the FOB from reaching number one.

Last edited by Fitz (February 19, 2023 9:06 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

February 19, 2023 10:37 pm  #14

One of the local stations here in the Tampa Bay area has a Music of Your Life format. Just yesterday they played from 1962, Telstar by the Tornados

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 20, 2023 10:41 am  #15

Recently heard Grazing in the Grass by Hugh Masekela on AM740, such a chill tune!

February 20, 2023 11:14 am  #16

No one remembers Green Onions by Booker T and the M.G.'s ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Onions

February 20, 2023 11:20 am  #17

Some great instrumentals from the 60's that I remember

Out of Limits - Markets
More - Kai Winding
Music to Watch Girls By - Bob Crew Generation
Baby Ruth - Butterfingers
Green Onions - Booker T & the MGs
Wipeout - Surfaris
Tequila - Champs
Pipeline - Chantays
Peter Gunn and Baby Elephant Walk - Henry Mancini
James Bond Theme - John Barry
Walk Don't Run - Ventures

February 20, 2023 11:20 am  #18

This one was huge and very influential in the UK. Somewhat of a throwback to earlier instrumentals like Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk. Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac:

I found this playlist inside a reel to reel tape I acquired from somewhere long ago. Not from the radio but a home recorded mix tape made in midwestern USA and it features a later Fleetwood Mac instrumental "Sunny Side of Heaven" plus ELP's Hoedown which was also an instrumental. Strange to see tracks from the first Blue Oyster Cult album alongside John Denver: She's as Beautiful as a Foot meets Rocky Mountain High.

Cool Airchecks and More:

February 21, 2023 11:04 am  #19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0LCk88aie4
The Horse - Cliff Nobles  

Last edited by fyshtalk (February 21, 2023 11:05 am)

February 21, 2023 12:14 pm  #20

In that Alan Cross column, he's mainly talking about 70s instrumentals. In the late 50s and 60s, instrumentals were a staple on top 40 radio.

I just picked one CHUM chart at random from 1961 in which 10 instrumentals made the Top 50 (1/5 of the chart), including Bert Kaempfert at # 1.  The rest are # 6 "Theme from Exodus" by Ferrante & Teicher. # 12 "Perfidia" by The Ventures. # 17 Lawrence Welk with "Calcutta". # 23 "Blue Tango" from Bill Black's Combo. # 33 Floyd Cramer's "Last Date". # 35 "Pepe" by Duane Eddy. # 38 "Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White" from Jerry Murad's Harmonicats. # 41 "Wabash Blues" by The Viscounts. # 43 Al Caiola's theme from "The Magnificent Seven".     

Last edited by Doug Thompson (February 21, 2023 1:00 pm)

February 21, 2023 12:22 pm  #21

It's telling that you almost never hear any of the songs you cited played on the radio anymore. 

February 21, 2023 2:16 pm  #22

Some of my faves were Vangelis "Chariots Of Fire"
"Autobahn" Kraftwerk
"The Sounds of Philadelphia" by Love Unlimited.
"Hawaii 5-0" Ventures
"Theme from SWAT" by ?
All of Herb Alpert's stuff like "Taste of Honey" and "Spanish Flea"
"Love is Blue" Paul Mauriat
"Stranger on the Shore" Mr Aker Bilk
and more

February 21, 2023 2:56 pm  #23

Theme From S.W.A.T. was done originally by Rhythm Heritage and they had the hit in the US with it, but the Canadian group THP Orchestra covered it and they had the hit version here. TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia) was a hit for MFSB with The Three Degrees. The Love Unlimited Orchestra had a big instrumental hit with Love's Theme. 

February 21, 2023 3:09 pm  #24

And then there were the weird hybrids - instrumentals that had at least a small bit of vocals. I'm thinking of Van McCoy's "The Hustle," which was a huge hit and contained singers chanting, "Do The Hustle" several times in the middle of the song.

The same thing goes for Edwin Starr's classic "Agent Double-0 Soul" from the 60s. Side A featured a full vocal by Starr and is a great but seldom heard oldie. The B side was an instrumental version, with the background singers crooning "Double Soul" at various times in the tune. 

Do those still count as purely instrumentals? 

February 21, 2023 3:19 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

And then there were the weird hybrids - instrumentals that had at least a small bit of vocals. I'm thinking of Van McCoy's "The Hustle," which was a huge hit and contained singers chanting, "Do The Hustle" several times in the middle of the song.

Interesting about the hybrid aspect. Brings to mind "Rock & Roll Part 2" by persona non grata Gary Glitter, a great sports anthem in earlier days with cheering and "Hey" in it.

"Oh Yeah" by Yello, "Pump Up the Volume" by MARRS or that Art of Noise song with Max Headroom, "Paranoimia" were all charting singles but had much more talking/vocal samples in them and based heavily around instrumental licks but probably wouldn't qualify even as hybrids.

I didn't see "Popcorn" mentioned by Hot Butter, a staple jam.

February 21, 2023 3:48 pm  #26

Joel Whitburn's The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits shows an "[ I ]" for records that he classifies as instrumentals. It has one for The Hustle and Rock & Roll Part 2, but not for Pump Up The Volume or Paranoimia. I don't know how he would have classified the other two songs since they didn't make the top 40, but I always find it interesting to see what he indicates for songs like that. Most notable for me is that Silver Convention's Fly Robin Fly is classified as instrumental, but Get Up And Boogie isn't ... I realize that the singing in Fly Robin Fly is more limited, but I still don't think of it as being an instrumental.

February 21, 2023 4:13 pm  #27

Actually, Paranoimia was a Top 40 hit in both Canada and the U.S., charting at #31 (RPM) and #34 (BB Hot 100), respectively. I was surprised by its chart peak in Canada, because I don't recall it getting a lot of airplay on this side of the border. I do remember Rock 102 in Buffalo played it quite a bit when it came out. The Art of Noise's previous single, Peter Gunn (featuring Duane Eddy, a cover of the Henry Mancini tune) was a truer instrumental in the sense that it didn't have any singing or talking, although it did have some unusual vocal sounds. This version peaked at #14 in Canada, but missed the Top 40 in the U.S., peaking only as high as #50. It was also one of the new entries on the "phantom" final 1050 CHUM chart, dated June 14, 1986 (the chart that was prepared but never published), entering in at the #28 spot.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

February 21, 2023 4:24 pm  #28

Just to clarify in case my previous post was a bit confusing, I did find both Paranoimia and Pump Up The Volume in Whitburn's Top 40 Hits book ... neither had the [ I ], so he did not classify them as instrumentals. 

February 21, 2023 5:24 pm  #29

I noticed on the 1961 CHUM chart posted by Doug Thompson that Bill Black’s Combo listed at #23 with “Blue Tango.” As a kid, when I saw the Beatles’ first show at Maple Leaf Gardens Sept 7/64, the opening act was Bill Black’s Combo, the band apparently being requested by The Beatles to do the tour with them. Black had quite a musical history, which included backing up Elvis Presley in his very early days, and was a heck of a musician. You can locate more info on him, and listen to “Blue Tango” as well. It’s always interesting learning a bit more about the people behind the many instrumentals that once made the playlists.
Oh, and Booker T & The MG’s “Green Onions,” from 1962, is considered to be one of the best known rock/blues instrumental tunes ever recorded, a classic 12-bar, 3-chord arrangement. Booker T. Jones penned it when he was 17.

February 21, 2023 7:57 pm  #30

What I never understood is the popularity of "beautiful music" in the 1960s and 1970s, at least among non-baby boomers (wartime and Depression-era) generations. What was "beautiful music"? Basically Muzak, ie instrumental versions of popular tunes but mostly with softer and often string arrangements and often a slower tempo. I came into possession of my parents' vinyl collection recently and a lot of it are things like "beautiful music" vesions of Burt Bacharach and the like. CHFI was Toronto's "beautiful music" station for years and did well in the ratings but I don't know how much they, or "beautiful music" formatted stations in general, relied on instrumental covers - I recall hearing Petula Clark (actual, not a Muzak-like cover) on CHFI in the early 70s, for instance.

Last edited by Hansa (February 21, 2023 8:48 pm)