sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2022 4:30 pm  #1

Former CFRB Sportscaster Fred Locking Has Died

Obituary OverviewFrederick "Fred" Norman LockingOf Belleville, formerly of Markham. Passed peacefully at the Kingston General Hospital on Tuesday, August 23, 2022 in his 73rd year. Beloved husband of Jennifer “Jen” Locking (nee Widger). Dear son of the late Norman and Jean Locking. He will be lovingly missed by his brother-in-law Paul and his wife Wendy, along with all his nieces and nephews.As per Fred’s wishes, cremation has taken place. A Celebration of Fred’s Life will take place at the Burke Funeral Home, on Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 1:00 pm, and a livestream will be made available here on this page. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations to the Quinte Humane Society would be appreciated.

September 7, 2022 11:51 pm  #2

Re: Former CFRB Sportscaster Fred Locking Has Died

What a gentleman and what a voice.

September 8, 2022 8:18 am  #3

One of my favourite all-time Toronto sportscasters. Literally heard thousands of his sportscasts on CFRB and later 680 News. R.I.P. Mr. Locking.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 8, 2022 8:19 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 9, 2022 8:54 am  #4

In my first stay at CFRB; in the mid 80s, Fred was my sportscaster for weekend mornings.  A real gentleman with a great delivery.

Last edited by John D (September 9, 2022 8:55 am)

September 9, 2022 9:50 am  #5

I had forgotten he also worked for TSN from 1991-2004  - and after that, Skywords, which provides traffic reports to stations all over the province. But it's his work at 'RB that will long be remembered. 

September 10, 2022 8:48 am  #6

Sad news, he had a great voice and delivery for sure. I listened to his last traffic report and farewell on AM740 a few years ago with Norm Edwards, they had a great rapport. R.I.P. Mr. Locking.