sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2022 12:31 am  #31

Re: Poll Question: Will John Derringer be on the air tomorrow morning?

markow202 wrote:

Is this all about him or someone vaping in a studio?  Im lost.   He also doesnt look or sound very friendly never did, but thats just me. 

If you're lost go read the link that was posted in the main thread about this.  The video is there and she spells it all out.

May 25, 2022 7:09 am  #32

Mavridis wrote:

Hansa wrote:

I think Corus will have to suspend Derringer and then fire him after an investigation.  

Please!  NOTHING is gonna happen.  It's not on anyone's radar.  Bell and Rogers pretend like no other media companies exist, so they won't cover it (unless he gets fired first).  Q's audience isn't exactly the social justice type.  The only paper that might touch it is the Star and, let's face it, it's not exactly their audience.  And Corus isn't worried because they control their own messaging.  

If you're expecting someone to leave, you're probably going to have to wait for a retirement announcement.  And it'll come with an honorary street-naming.

Congratulations, radio industry!  You're Number 1 at acting like it's still 1986!

You know what? I originally agreed with you. But I was very surprised by other media's reaction to this story. It took a while - they didn't get to it until Tuesday for the most part - but John Moore of Bell's CFRB mentioned it at least five times in a single hour on his morning show (he's scheduled to have Maureen Holloway on, who also worked with Derringer.) And Rogers' CityNews 680 has it as part of their news run. 

It's also been featured on CTV, CBC, The Star (for a brief time it was the lead story on their website,) the Toronto Sun and other news sources. Anytime you get the Star's Kevin Donovan working on a story, it's about to become prominent and he shares his byline on this one.

So it's actually getting the attention it deserves and it appears it's not over yet. Corus has a real PR disaster on its hands. And if everything many women have said about bringing this to management's and HR's attention and were ignored or transferred, not to mention their previous debacles with the dismissed Mike Stafford, this is not going away anytime soon. Derringer may not be the only one losing his job. 

May 25, 2022 8:50 am  #33

Tomas Barlow wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Is this all about him or someone vaping in a studio?  Im lost.   He also doesnt look or sound very friendly never did, but thats just me. 

If you're lost go read the link that was posted in the main thread about this.  The video is there and she spells it all out.

Oh fully caught up now lol.

I hope hes dust in the wind and its the song they play with his exit. 

May 25, 2022 9:00 am  #34

Q plays Dust In The Wind pretty much every day already, so it is a possibility.

May 25, 2022 12:45 pm  #35

Maureen Holloway was on NT1010's John Moore Show Wednesday, recalling her time working with the now silent John Derringer. Her memories of him aren't especially fond, noting he could be nice one second and then inexplicably bursting into a seemingly uncontrollable rage the next. She also takes pains to say it wasn't just women that felt the brunt of it. 

You can hear the six minute interview here

May 25, 2022 1:06 pm  #36

There have been quite a few guys that have hooked their wagon to the Derringer train in the hopes of success and career longevity...to various degrees of success....the collateral damage from this that will fall on his current side kicks Kid Parker and Flairboy Garbutt may limit their careers forever simply by their association as his acolytes...

May 25, 2022 1:26 pm  #37

In her interview with Moore, Holloway didn't name the sidekicks per se, but she intimated that there were people close by who stood and watched it happen and did nothing. I think it was pretty clear who she was talking about.  

May 25, 2022 4:09 pm  #38

While Q107 has removed all references to Derringer's morning show, they've left up past episodes of his podcast, called The Daily Derringer. The last episode posted was May 20th, right before (you should pardon the expression) Valentyne's Day. So he hasn't been completely scrubbed from the website after all. 

The intro to the page is now kind of wince-inducing. I wonder how long it will remain up there. 

"Join John Derringer & company daily as they deliver Toronto’s podcast. Interviews with exciting musical guests, weekly stunts & gags, exclusive performances and stuff you won’t hear on air….Oh yeah…..and LOADS of laughs."

May 25, 2022 5:24 pm  #39

One thing I was surprised at in all the coverage of this story is that no one thought to talk to Supriya Dwivedi, who was the co-host on Corus' AM 640 morning show with Mike Stafford, until what she alleges were death threats and a lack of backing by management forced her to resign.

Not sure if she ever encountered Derringer, but her insights into Corus' HR practices might be of interest. 

She did post something about this unfolding saga to her Twitter feed when it broke on the weekend. 

May 25, 2022 7:13 pm  #40

As with most commercial enterprises, the MBAs that run the place will consult the beancounters to crunch the numbers: What costs more? Keeping or dismissing? That is the calculus.

May 25, 2022 7:53 pm  #41

RadioActive wrote:

Mavridis wrote:

Hansa wrote:

I think Corus will have to suspend Derringer and then fire him after an investigation.  

Please!  NOTHING is gonna happen. !

You know what? I originally agreed with you. But I was very surprised by other media's reaction to this story.  

YEAH, SAME HERE!   This is all great and I really hope things change because of it.  But you know what won't?...  His bank account.  

He was allowed to keep working and made millions.  He's almost retirement age so it's not like this is gonna ruin him.  He'll still sit court-side at the Raptors games and drive a really nice car and probably keep getting freebies.  

He's been around long enough to build a loyal fanbase that might to overlook his behavior and download his podcast, if he made one.  And you never know with Toronto media... a station might just offer him yet another chance at his dream job.  That's way more than Jacqui and Jen and Andrea and Colleen ever got.  Same for everyone else who has chosen to keep their name out of it knowing they'd be the only one punshed for it. 

Last edited by Mavridis (May 25, 2022 8:56 pm)

May 25, 2022 8:23 pm  #42

=12pxHe was allowed to keep working and made millions.  He's almost retirement age so it's not like this is gonna ruin him.  He'll still sit court-side at the Raptors games and drive a really nice car and probably keep getting freebies.  

I totally disagree.  Companies and organizations will run and hide.  All will collapse around him and no one will go near him.   It is over.  He is now toxic.

May 25, 2022 8:39 pm  #43

I believe he's toast, toxic for any station anywhere. (Much like Jian Ghomeshi, who - despite numerous attempts at a comeback - is still pretty much out of the public eye.)

What I'm waiting to see is who Corus throws under the bus in management for this disaster. There is increasing evidence a number of execs. knew exactly what was going on and did bupkis for years. To me, those are the ones who must be thrown to the curb. I just hope they actually clean house and not pick a token person to make an example of, and leave the others involved comfortably ensconced in their full pay positions. 

That's what I fear will happen, if we even find out about it. Sacrificing Derringer is not enough. They have to take out all the garbage, not just one bag. 

And by the way, I've been monitoring a number of stations over the course of the day and heard this story discussed on all but one of them. Guess which one chose to ignore it?

It's not a big surprise to hear it's AM 640, and I can only assume they've been told to avoid it like the proverbial plague. Which is a shame that a news/talk station can't speak about something in the news that's causing a lot of talk. Especially when they probably have more inner knowledge about this subject than most. 

May 25, 2022 8:50 pm  #44

RadioActive wrote:

I believe he's toast, toxic for any station anywhere. (Much like Jian Ghomeshi, who - despite numerous attempts at a comeback - is still pretty much out of the public eye.)

What I'm waiting to see is who Corus throws under the bus in management for this disaster. There is increasing evidence a number of execs. knew exactly what was going on and did bupkis for years. To me, those are the ones who must be thrown to the curb. I just hope they actually clean house and not pick a token person to make an example of, and leave the others involved comfortably ensconced in their full pay positions. 

That's what I fear will happen, if we even find out about it. Sacrificing Derringer is not enough. They have to take out all the garbage, not just one bag. 

It'll come down to what the lawyers and accountants recommend, money spent now versus exposure to law suits down the road. If enough people care to try to break their NDA's (signed under duress etc.) there's a class action law suit just waiting to be pulled together. Toxic work environment, harrassment, sexual and otherwise...

They'll jettison a senior V.P. of something, whoever will cost them the least trouble (because they could sue for wrongful termination too!) and the least money in severance. Unless as RA says, they clean house. When I worked  on Bay Street the cold-hearted corporate rule of thumb for big business was if they liked you, they kept you until you were too expensive, reputation or salary wise...and the reason most senior executives often got canned had nothing to do with the reason officially given.

Last edited by betaylored (May 27, 2022 4:37 am)

May 25, 2022 9:34 pm  #45

RadioActive wrote:

One thing I was surprised at in all the coverage of this story is that no one thought to talk to Supriya Dwivedi, who was the co-host on Corus' AM 640 morning show with Mike Stafford, until what she alleges were death threats and a lack of backing by management forced her to resign.

Not sure if she ever encountered Derringer, but her insights into Corus' HR practices might be of interest. 

She did post something about this unfolding saga to her Twitter feed when it broke on the weekend. 

Turns out I wasn't the only one thinking about her after all. The Canadian Press contacted Dwivedi for comment and you can read what she had to say here

May 25, 2022 11:16 pm  #46

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

=12pxHe was allowed to keep working and made millions.  He's almost retirement age so it's not like this is gonna ruin him.  He'll still sit court-side at the Raptors games and drive a really nice car and probably keep getting freebies.   I totally disagree.  Companies and organizations will run and hide.  All will collapse around him and no one will go near him.   It is over.  He is now toxic.

You know we're talking about the world of Q107 here, right?   Do you really think he won't be able to find a golf buddy?   Or that the Raptors and Leafs won't accept his money?  I bet most of his fans don't give a crap about how he treats a female coworker anyway. My point is that he had his time,  Unabridged.  He made MILLIONS while others were cast off and suffered.  And I doubt he's living paycheck-to-paycheck.  

No one's going to jail here.  And it's not like he's gonna need to find a real job or move in with his mom like that other radio idiot.  Those women aren't gonna get to travel back in time and relive those opportunities without him.  Punishment won't erase the damage those years have done.  

This should have happened decades ago.  Instead, the guy was celebrated.  Shame on all of us.  

May 25, 2022 11:22 pm  #47

On a very ironic note, Q107 originally rejected JD for mornings on Q.  
He was picked up YEARS later.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2022 12:33 am  #48

RadioActive wrote:

That's probably accurate. I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll never have a future at Corus ever again, and likely none of the major players (Bell, Rogers, Stingray) are going to want to touch him either. By the time this "blows over" (if it ever totally does), his star will have faded to the point where he's not much of a ratings draw, and working at a smaller radio station probably won't be enough to feed his ego. Also, this story has had some traction in other parts of Canada, so it's not like he can easily run away from his problems, either.

Interesting article here on The-message.ca, that discusses the situation from an advertiser's standpoint:

While Corus’ official response said that Derringer was on hiatus, one senior media buyer told The Message there’s “not a chance” he makes it back on the air with Q107.

“He’ll go on paid leave while there’s an investigation, [but] he won’t come back,” they said. “The fact he’s survived this many years does look bad on Corus, because if these women did speak up and nothing was done, it gave him permission to continue his inappropriate behaviour.”

And advertisers will certainly not sanction his return, said the media exec. “There’s no way advertisers would support him staying on. [Corus] will have to remove him and say they’re doing an official investigation.”

https://the-message.ca/2022/05/24/corus-takes-action-after-video-alleges-abuse-at-q107/

RadioActive wrote:

Lol...I love that garbage analogy, RA. 

What's likely to happen is that some people, although not 100% innocent in the matter, were forced into complicity for the sake of their own job security and did and said nothing. But ultimately, we all need to take a stand and do what's right in this life. Let's just hope that whoever's responsible for cleaning house starts from the top and works their way down.

RadioActive wrote:

And by the way, I've been monitoring a number of stations over the course of the day and heard this story discussed on all but one of them. Guess which one chose to ignore it?

It's not a big surprise to hear it's AM 640, and I can only assume they've been told to avoid it like the proverbial plague. Which is a shame that a news/talk station can't speak about something in the news that's causing a lot of talk. Especially when they probably have more inner knowledge about this subject than most.

I imagine there's some type of gag order preventing Corus employees from talking about or reporting on the story. Colleen Rusholme, who currently works at Corus's Boom 99.7 in Ottawa, was reportedly one of Derringer's victims in the early part of her career. She is one of the few females who hasn't appeared to have spoken directly about her experience, although she has given Howard Glassman permission to speak on her behalf on the Humble & Fred podcast. Global reported on it in the early stages before it became a developing story (on their website, at least), but that was probably more of a PR move than anything else. I haven't seen anything since, and even the original story appears to be buried on their site.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 26, 2022 8:57 am  #49

Interesting:    Former radio host Erin Davis called Derringer’s behaviour was “the best kept secret in radio.”Though she never worked face-to-face with Derringer, Davis says he actively “bullied” her on the airwaves while she hosted 98.1 CHFI’s “Morning Show.”