sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2022 12:39 pm  #1

Poll Question: Will John Derringer be on the air tomorrow morning?

PLEASE VOTE

Will John Derringer be on the air tomorrow morning (Tuesday May 24/2022)?

May 23, 2022 2:31 pm  #2

Re: Poll Question: Will John Derringer be on the air tomorrow morning?

I think Corus will have to suspend Derringer and then fire him after an investigation. Corus will have trouble explaining how they tolerated this for so long, since it's clear from Valentyne's account that people up to the CEO knew so I expect higher ups will be sent packing sooner or later too - especially as this isn't the first story about Corus being a toxic environment. They'll get rid of Derringer because it's not just Q107's brand they have to protect but Global as well and the maltreatment of long-time local favourite Jenn Valentyne will infuriate a lot of viewers who may not be Q listeners but are in Global News' middle-aged suburban demographic as well as women generally. Corus' growing reputation as a toxic workplace will also make it harder for them to attract talent. 

May 23, 2022 2:38 pm  #3

Tomorrow may be too early for any management decisions. One thing is for sure, this is a
MAJOR deal, as it should be.

May 23, 2022 3:16 pm  #4

I just did a web search for anything involving Jennifer Valentyne and Corus. Other than generic pages about her, most of which are dated, I haven't found a single thing about the video she posted. In fact, this is the only place I've even seen it mentioned. Maybe it's because it's a holiday weekend and the word hasn't spread, but so far it hasn't gotten the traction it deserves. 

I'll be curious to see how this unfolds during the rest of the week and if other media pick up on it. 

May 23, 2022 3:38 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I just did a web search for anything involving Jennifer Valentyne and Corus. Other than generic pages about her, most of which are dated, I haven't found a single thing about the video she posted. In fact, this is the only place I've even seen it mentioned. Maybe it's because it's a holiday weekend and the word hasn't spread, but so far it hasn't gotten the traction it deserves. 

I'll be curious to see how this unfolds during the rest of the week and if other media pick up on it. 

It's a big topic on the Twitter machine. I would be surprised if the Toronto papers don't pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday.

May 23, 2022 4:46 pm  #6

Charlie wrote:

Not a smoker, or a vaper, and I don't judge those who chose to do so.  It's their life, what's left of it, but smoking and/or vaping indoors in the workplace has been literally against the law forever.  What kind of Health & Safety and Human Resources departments does Corus have to allow this to go on daily for years, even after official employee complaints?  That is astounding and unbelievably stupid.

We were in the car the other day, when a BMW with a lone driver was suddenly in front of us, obviously
vaping and smoke(?) exploding from the open sunroof. After seeing that, it’s easy to imagine what it must
be like in a studio with 2 or 3 goin’ at it at the same time. Talk about your simultaneous substitution…

May 23, 2022 11:45 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Toronto Mike has a write-up on it and that has 9 comments which is relatively high as the comments have gone down since Mike changed to a new comment format about two years ago.The Allegations Against John Derringer

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 24, 2022 1:25 am  #8

Hansa wrote:

I think Corus will have to suspend Derringer and then fire him after an investigation.  

Please!  NOTHING is gonna happen.  It's not on anyone's radar.  Bell and Rogers pretend like no other media companies exist, so they won't cover it (unless he gets fired first).  Q's audience isn't exactly the social justice type.  The only paper that might touch it is the Star and, let's face it, it's not exactly their audience.  And Corus isn't worried because they control their own messaging.  

If you're expecting someone to leave, you're probably going to have to wait for a retirement announcement.  And it'll come with an honorary street-naming.

Congratulations, radio industry!  You're Number 1 at acting like it's still 1986!   

May 24, 2022 6:19 am  #9

So, no JD and crew, zero reference to the show this morning.
Good Bye JD

May 24, 2022 7:34 am  #10

It appears a sub was on the air in the morning. Didn't catch the name. But Derringer & Co. remain on the website, at least for now. 

May 24, 2022 7:48 am  #11

It's Dan Chen in this morning - as Centerline noted, no reference to "filling in for". No sidekicks (Parker or Garbutt), although Parker's pre-taped "Re/Max" ad read remained. And there was an Employment Lawyer ad spot for Lior Samfiru which is always a bit interesting whenever there's radio station changeover or turmoil where it's airing.

May 24, 2022 10:47 am  #12

Somebody on Twitter suggested if Derringer was on the air this morning, the CRTC should immediately
revoke the license for Q107.
The suits, themselves in trouble, appear to have made one good decision today, but (1) this is far from
over, and (2) this has become even more deadly serious.
Karma?

May 24, 2022 11:30 am  #13

mike marshall wrote:

Somebody on Twitter suggested if Derringer was on the air this morning, the CRTC should immediately
revoke the license for Q107.
The suits, themselves in trouble, appear to have made one good decision today, but (1) this is far from
over, and (2) this has become even more deadly serious.
Karma?

CRTC has no jurisdiction here.

Anyway, he won’t be back. It was time to move on anyway.

May 24, 2022 11:50 am  #14

Apparently he is off air until further notice. Corus is bringing in an outside company to do an investigation of these allegations. I assume this will be fairly quick as it seems like it’s been common knowledge for a long time the type of person JD is

May 24, 2022 12:59 pm  #15

Broadcast Dialogue has more on this, the first major news source I've found beyond Toronto Mike, to pick up this story. I suspect more is coming.

One article confirms that Valentyne has now filed an official complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission, which certainly got the attention of Corus. 

Jennifer Valentyne files gender discrimination complaint with Canadian Human Rights Commission 

The company responded, as others here have noted, by immediately suspending Derringer's show and its crew until further notice. 

Q107’s Derringer in the Morning on hiatus pending external investigation

The company sent the website an official statement in which it admits management was informed about this situation in the past, but that "new information" surfaced on the weekend that forced them to at least temporarily suspend the show. I take it that "new information" was Valentyne's official complaint and post about what she alleges happened to her. 

Corus Statement (courtesy Broadcast Dialogue.)

“We are aware that Ms. Valentyne has voiced concerns about her time in the broadcasting industry, including from her time with us,” reads the statement. “A few years ago, Ms. Valentyne shared certain concerns and we took action to review at that time. There is also a process underway with the Canadian Human Rights Commission. We have had mediated conversations with her, been responsive to proceedings, and we are waiting determination of next steps. We take these matters seriously and look forward to a resolution.”

“Over the past two days we have received new information about workplace concerns in our station,” the statement continues. “We have referred these to our ethics and conduct team and will be conducting an external investigation. Effective immediately and during the course of the investigation the show Derringer in the Morning will be on hiatus pending the conclusion of the investigation.”

“Any concerns involving employee experience are of the utmost importance to us and we are committed to listen, learn and take any appropriate action.”

May 24, 2022 1:48 pm  #16

Derringer in the Morning has now been taken off the Q107 website under the list of shows. Also, if you try to access it by way of Google, you get a message saying "Oops! That page can't be found."

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 24, 2022 1:58 pm  #17

Came across this old article from Media In Canada back in 2019. In light of recent developments, it has a whole new meaning. It mentions how Valentyne was shifted from Q107 after two years to the Global Morning show.

"It was during her time at Corus’ Q107 that the company really took note of Valentyne’s mass appeal. “She has this ability to connect with people. Every time we’d tap her for one of our TV projects, it’s always drawn massive audiences,” Mackay Taggart, news director for Global News Toronto, tells Media in Canada."

Meanwhile, in an article from the same source in 2017, the station explained why it had decided to bring Valentyne into the Q fold in the first place. Considering what's taken place, the irony of the following paragraphs can't be lost on anyone.

"Q107 senior program manager Blair Bartrem said the adding and showcasing of Valentyne was part of a key strategy to bring a female perspective to the show — and bring back some female audience share that it’s lost over the years.

“We looked at it as adding Elaine to our Seinfeld,” said Bartrem.

"The show has been without a female anchor for nearly two years since the departure of Maureen Holloway, who co-hosted the show for 15 years...

"During the time since Holloway’s departure, Bartrem said, the gap between male and female listeners has widened. Two years prior, said Bartrem, the balance of the audience was approximately 60/40 split. Now, he said, it’s closer to 78% male..."

"While he said the material of the three hosts was never intentionally alienating to women, he understands why female listeners would gravitate to more gender-balanced shows.

“It’s like when you have a few guys throwing a party and they’re all standing around a punch bowl and some women come by, they take a look inside and say, ‘yeah, we’ll come back when there’s a few more women.’”

Wow.

May 24, 2022 3:05 pm  #18

Is this all about him or someone vaping in a studio?  Im lost.   He also doesnt look or sound very friendly never did, but thats just me. 

May 24, 2022 3:21 pm  #19

Interestingly, the very first real news story on this from an actual broadcaster is Global - owned by Corus.

Broadcast personality Jennifer Valentyne alleges gender discrimination at former employer

May 24, 2022 4:26 pm  #20

While I believe what Jennifer has said is 100% true I hope she has definitive proof of her allegations. Failing video and/or audio evidence it's a "she said-he said" situation, however the additional former co-hosts who have corroborated her remarks certainly work in her favour. Best of luck Jennifer, you endured the abuse much longer than I could have.

May 24, 2022 4:35 pm  #21

I worked with Jen when she was just starting in the biz.  She is a former Argo cheerleader who got into radio promotions and was amazing at the job.  I believe her 100%.  Years later when I was in Corus management, Derringer even took a swipe at me on air even tho we were in way different markets.  I just shrugged it off as a morning guy making fun of a PD somewhere.  Never thought it would come to this.  The more I hear directly from people the more I think he's out the door "with cause".  Hope he saved his money.

May 24, 2022 5:03 pm  #22

May 24, 2022 5:06 pm  #23

Meanwhile, Derringer's last Twitter post came on May 20th, just a few days before this exploded online. What's fascinating to me about his page is this one mention in his bio: "Father of three girls." 

I wonder how they will feel if the accusations against him prove true. 

May 24, 2022 6:03 pm  #24

zed wrote:

While I believe what Jennifer has said is 100% true I hope she has definitive proof of her allegations. Failing video and/or audio evidence it's a "she said-he said" situation, however the additional former co-hosts who have corroborated her remarks certainly work in her favour. Best of luck Jennifer, you endured the abuse much longer than I could have.

Several people came forward over the weekend with similar allegations so it's a "they said, he said" situation, if anything. 

May 24, 2022 6:14 pm  #25

CTV Toronto has also picked up on the story, at least on their website.

Popular Toronto radio show pulled from air after human rights complaint filed against host  

PJ 

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 24, 2022 7:19 pm  #26

Not much new info, but the Toronto Sun has taken up the tale.

Derringer show suspended after Jennifer Valentyne Twitter complaint

May 24, 2022 8:03 pm  #27

And now The Toronto Star just in the last few minutes from Kevin Donovan:

John Derringer’s co-hosts allege abusive behaviour behind the scenes at Q107

May 24, 2022 8:55 pm  #28

AspectRatio wrote:

And now The Toronto Star just in the last few minutes from Kevin Donovan:

John Derringer’s co-hosts allege abusive behaviour behind the scenes at Q107

Wow, some startling revelations in that article. Probably what's most startling is the extent to which Corus management took to protect him.

IMO, Derringer is a rather average-sounding jock, hardly worthy of big bucks. (And yes, I know this is coming from the owner of a piddly little internet station that has questionable talent himself, but some things just need to be said). Keep in mind that Derringer was the morning man of the station during a good portion of its lackluster ratings period, so it's hardly like he can be solely credited for the station's surge in popularity in the past couple of years. Rather, it's more like that he's had longevity at the station and just happened to be riding that wave of success. (In other words, being in the right place at the right time). Nowadays, longevity doesn't seem to hold as much stock with listeners as it has in decades past, either. Listeners might bitch, whine and complain and even threaten to boycott a station if they get rid of a long-running jock, but ultimately, after a few weeks or so, all is forgiven and life goes on as normal.

PJ 

May 24, 2022 8:58 pm  #29

I am glad to see this is getting the attention it deserves. Wasn't sure if it would. But the terrible things that allegedly happened to Jennier aside, it's a great story and worthy of more follow-up.

May 25, 2022 12:13 am  #30

memories of when i made, on this board, a few comments about q's (then) new morning show (stern's replacement)...  poor craig got more than a bit of grief from the show's host (as a result of my post) from a certain somebody. strange,,,

Last edited by the original hank (May 25, 2022 12:16 am)