sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2022 7:19 pm  #31


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

paterson1 wrote:

 I would make it a condition that Rogers needs to operate a full affiliate in Ottawa for either Global or City.  

There's a lot of misunderstanding about this sale. It does not include any CORUS properties, including Global.

The reason Global news is mentioned for losing out on this is that as a condition of closing community stations, Shaw (and other cable co's) had to re-direct that money to local news. Shaw and Corus were considered intertwined enough that Shaw's community TV money went to local Global news. 

With this sale, Rogers is now on the hook for that money and will re-direct it to local CITY-TV stations, naturally.
 


 
 

March 25, 2022 7:30 pm  #32


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Ale Ont wrote:

I am wondering if Rogers may put a real television station in Ottawa.

Not a chance. The increase in revenue from being allowed to solicit local ads in Ottawa wouldn't cover the costs having to provide the minimum hours of local news.


 
 

March 25, 2022 8:08 pm  #33


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

 I would make it a condition that Rogers needs to operate a full affiliate in Ottawa for either Global or City.  

There's a lot of misunderstanding about this sale. It does not include any CORUS properties, including Global.

The reason Global news is mentioned for losing out on this is that as a condition of closing community stations, Shaw (and other cable co's) had to re-direct that money to local news. Shaw and Corus were considered intertwined enough that Shaw's community TV money went to local Global news. 

With this sale, Rogers is now on the hook for that money and will re-direct it to local CITY-TV stations, naturally.
 

Thanks for the explanation Aaron.  

 

March 25, 2022 9:23 pm  #34


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Forward Power wrote:

  

 

 
 
Goddamn bastard jackasses - Trudeau and the heritage minister(s) included, as they themselves are at least partly to blame, those libtard lying chunks of dog crap. They constantly lie through their teeth and pull all this crap on Canadians, yet you still directly or indirectly do business with them and still allow a Liberal to run this country's government? What in the bloody hell is wrong with you?    t 

This country is long overdue for a damn good cleansing.  First to go? Trudeau

Where's Mr. Magoo?

Is he going to let this go unchallenged?


  
 

March 26, 2022 1:21 am  #35


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

This whole unfolding story will make for a great comedy themed radio drama (somewhat like old time radio dramas) for air on FUNNY820

unclefester wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

   
Goddamn bastard jackasses - Trudeau and the heritage minister(s) included, as they themselves are at least partly to blame, those libtard lying chunks of dog crap. They constantly lie through their teeth and pull all this crap on Canadians, yet you still directly or indirectly do business with them and still allow a Liberal to run this country's government? What in the bloody hell is wrong with you?    t 

This country is long overdue for a damn good cleansing.  First to go? Trudeau

Where's Mr. Magoo?

Is he going to let this go unchallenged?

 

March 26, 2022 6:35 am  #36


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

RadioAaron wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Does anyone know if Rogers was clear about their plans for CHEX (or CKWS for that matter)?

Rogers will not own them. They will continue to be owned by CORUS.

Yes but Corus will in effect be owned by Rogers, no?
 

 

March 26, 2022 7:59 am  #37


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

If Rogers owns Corus they will be in control of it.

 

March 26, 2022 8:05 am  #38


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Corus is a publicly traded corporation.  It's shares declined from $5.14 to $4.87 over the past week.   How will Rogers acquire enough shares to own/control Corus, please
 

 

March 26, 2022 9:37 am  #39


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

andysradio wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Does anyone know if Rogers was clear about their plans for CHEX (or CKWS for that matter)?

Rogers will not own them. They will continue to be owned by CORUS.

Yes but Corus will in effect be owned by Rogers, no?
 

CORUS Entertainment was created as an arms length corporate entity by the Shaw family leading up to the acquisition of some of the former WIC assets in 2000.  CanWest and Shaw basically split the WIC assets, with CanWest acquiring the conventional TV outlets operating in BC, Alberta and Ontario (CHCH) as well as some specialty channels. Shaw held the former WIC/WestComm radio holdings, StarChoice dth satellite, Cancom and some of the other specialty channels not acquired by CanWest.

Shaw anticipated that the CRTC would require that their portion of the WIC assets would have to be operated as a separate holding/corporation from the families' cable tv property "Shaw Cable".  This is why CORUS was created, but it was shares were held by members of the Shaw family.  Later, the CRTC announced that it was not their requirement or planned policy, that Shaw create a separate arms length corporation for ownership and operation of the WIC properties.

Jump ahead to 2010 when Shaw acquired to the CanWest holdings out of bankruptcy, Shaw continued to operate CORUS as a separate corporation Shaw Cable and the new entity Shaw Media.

In 2016, Shaw then transferred Shaw Media (Global Television) to CORUS....  but, the Shaw family members continued to hold the large majority of the class A voting shares of the two corporations.

As stated before, the consumption of Shaw by Rogers is for Shaw's largely western Canada cable TV properties and the Shaw Satellite dth service.  Corus Entertainment (Radio, Global TV, and specialty channels) is not part of the Rogers acquisition of Shaw Cable.
 

 

March 26, 2022 12:30 pm  #40


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

unclefester wrote:

Where's Mr. Magoo?

Is he going to let this go unchallenged?

Of course, that lying Liberal peckerhead will let it go unchallenged - he's been bought and paid for, many times over, by Big Telecom.  He and his LIE-beral government should have been overthrown by the Freedom Convoy, and following that, a massive "Occupy The CRTC" should have happened at the Commission HQ in Hull, given the CRTC are a bunch of frickin' Liberal liars too, who are also bought and paid for, many times over, by Big Telecom.  Wonder why your Internet and mobile services are among the most expensive on this planet?  Why your telco does not provide effective call blocking/filtering, if any?  Why you have so few choices as a telecom customer?  This is why. 

Goddamn Liberal liars...

     Thread Starter
 

March 26, 2022 1:41 pm  #41


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Glen Warren wrote:

   Corus Entertainment (Radio, Global TV, and specialty channels) is not part of the Rogers acquisition of Shaw Cable.   

So if Andy is accumulating stock, fellow shareholders at the annual meeting will largely be frickin' Shaw family members, not frickin' Rogers family
 

Last edited by geo (March 26, 2022 1:43 pm)

 

March 26, 2022 1:52 pm  #42


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

geo wrote:

So if Andy is accumulating stock, fellow shareholders at the annual meeting will largely be frickin' Shaw family members, not frickin' Rogers family
 

Just knock it off with your horse crap money posts, please. You always bring your goddamn greedy stock portfolio/pension/retirement B.S. into these discussions, and there is no need for it. Just stop.

     Thread Starter
 

March 26, 2022 3:21 pm  #43


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Forward Power wrote:

Of course, that lying Liberal peckerhead will let it go unchallenged - he's been bought and paid for, many times over, by Big Telecom.  He and his LIE-beral government should have been overthrown by the Freedom Convoy, and following that, a massive "Occupy The CRTC" should have happened at the Commission HQ in Hull, given the CRTC are a bunch of frickin' Liberal liars too, who are also bought and paid for, many times over, by Big Telecom.  Wonder why your Internet and mobile services are among the most expensive on this planet?  Why your telco does not provide effective call blocking/filtering, if any?  Why you have so few choices as a telecom customer?  This is why. 

Goddamn Liberal liars...

So, not feeling any better today then?

 

March 26, 2022 7:54 pm  #44


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

andysradio wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Does anyone know if Rogers was clear about their plans for CHEX (or CKWS for that matter)?

Rogers will not own them. They will continue to be owned by CORUS.

Yes but Corus will in effect be owned by Rogers, no?
 

No. 

Shaw and CORUS were split into two companies a few years ago for this very purpose. Rogers buying Shaw finalizes this separation.


 
 

March 26, 2022 7:55 pm  #45


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Forward Power wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Where's Mr. Magoo?

Is he going to let this go unchallenged?

Of course, that lying Liberal peckerhead will let it go unchallenged - he's been bought and paid for, many times over, by Big Telecom.  He and his LIE-beral government should have been overthrown by the Freedom Convoy, and following that, a massive "Occupy The CRTC" should have happened at the Commission HQ in Hull, given the CRTC are a bunch of frickin' Liberal liars too, who are also bought and paid for, many times over, by Big Telecom.  Wonder why your Internet and mobile services are among the most expensive on this planet?  Why your telco does not provide effective call blocking/filtering, if any?  Why you have so few choices as a telecom customer?  This is why. 

Goddamn Liberal liars...

You're a socialist and you don't even know it.


 
 

March 26, 2022 7:58 pm  #46


Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Forward Power wrote:

Goddamn Liberal liars...

The CONservatives are FAR WORSE!!!!!  


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.