sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2022 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Frickin' Rogers and the CRTC: Deal For Shaw Approved

Hand's up anyone who's surprised. 

I don't see any hands...

March 24, 2022 5:12 pm  #3

If I were working at Global right about now, I'd be polishing my resume. The deal is contingent on several conditions, including Rogers hiring "a higher number of journalists" for their City TV newsrooms, whatever that means.

We do know at least two specifics: 

Rogers has to double its "journalistic strength in Western Canada." Again that could mean anything from an additional 3 or 4 people to an undefined number. Too vague for my liking. 

And in what appears to be a bow to political correctness, the CRTC says Rogers must "create an Indigenous news team composed of journalists based in all the provinces where Rogers provides news content, delivering Indigenous-led stories to First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities." I wonder how the folks at APTN feel about that provision. 

There are other conditions in the approval that are almost laughable to me. Among them:

"Rogers must amend its conditions of licence to require that Corus Entertainment Inc. (Corus) is not advantaged in its dealings with Rogers and vice versa." I suspect they'll figure out a way around that fairly easily.

And here's my favourite, so ridiculous that it should have a laugh track attached to it.  "Rogers is expected to refrain from entering into any agreement for exclusive or preferential distribution of online broadcasting services or content through its distribution platforms." In other words, they shouldn't favour their own stations in their cable line-up. Rogers not taking advantage of their own stations over those owned by other companies? Honestly, these CRTC folks are either naive or in on the joke.

CRTC Decision  

March 24, 2022 5:31 pm  #4

RA:
"And here's my favourite, so ridiculous that it should have a laugh track attached to it.  "Rogers is expected to refrain from entering into any agreement for exclusive or preferential distribution of online broadcasting services or content through its distribution platforms."  In other words, they shouldn't favour their own stations in their cable line-up. Rogers not taking advantage of their own stations over those owned by other companies? Honestly, these CRTC folks are either naive or in on the joke."

"Round up the usual suspects".

Last edited by Media Observer (March 24, 2022 5:37 pm)

March 24, 2022 5:34 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Honestly, these CRTC folks are either naive or in on the joke.

Both. And they are lying frickin' idiots who never have and never will give a rat's arse about anything but money. People like this are an absolute goddamn malignant cancer of Canadian society - you cannot go any lower than them, or the Trump-supporting, narcissistic Satan spawn liars that are Rogers Communications.

March 24, 2022 5:50 pm  #6

Here's another rule for the poor suckers who get their TV through Shaw.

"The Commission expects Rogers to inform Shaw customers that their contracts will be honoured and, 90 days before the end of their current contracts with Shaw, to inform them of what options will be available once their contracts end, including how they will be able to continue to receive the same or a similar level of service. In addition, the Commission expects Rogers to maintain or improve the quality of service for current Shaw customers..."

How many will be forced onto Rogers Ignite or some other far more expensive service? My condolences to those who are on Shaw. 

And there's more - a lot more. The CRTC acknowledges that this deal gives Rogers a majority of power in the Canadian TV landscape and some intervenors warned it may favour its own stations in deciding what gets carried on its cable systems. The Commission, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that Big Red must honour all its carriage terms for the next five years. After that? 

Well, the CRTC says it can't interfere with a company's business decisions, so it can't order anything, but "the Commission expects Rogers to treat independent undertakings fairly and to avoid dropping channels, imposing punitive or retaliatory measures, imposing unreasonable rates, significantly changing packaging or otherwise materially reducing wholesale payments. The Commission will monitor Rogers’ relationships with independent programming undertakings to ensure such behaviours do not manifest."

So clearly they realize what kind of company they're dealing with and are putting their trust in the fact Rogers just won't do the wrong thing. Because the company has been so responsible in this area over the years. Anyone have any confidence this will be the case once the five years are up?

I think we all knew this decision was coming and how it would end. But either the CRTC is incredibly naive, haven't been paying any attention to Rogers' prior business practices or they just don't care. What a great decision for Rogers and its friends on the CRTC - and what a terrible ruling for the rest of us. 

March 24, 2022 6:05 pm  #7

From watchdog OpenMedia:

“This is a tone-deaf decision from a CRTC that has completely lost touch with ordinary people in Canada,” said OpenMedia Campaigns Director Matt Hatfield. “The CRTC claims their modified version of the deal is in the best interest of Canadians; in what world is that true? Every single guarantee Rogers is making to secure our watchdogs’ cooperation is a short-term payment or unenforceable promise; the long-term outcome is clearly a net loss to everyone outside the Rogers and Shaw families.

"Ordinary people know very well what this deal will mean; less competition, fewer jobs, and higher prices for telecom customers. And yet not one of the institutions we’ve charged with assessing the deal has had the courage to say it. Amidst record-breaking inflation that has families in Canada feeling the pinch,
 this buyout puts us squarely on a path to significantly higher Internet and cell phone bills.

Open Media statement

March 24, 2022 6:55 pm  #8

All of this decision should've been announced on Funny 820 AM.

Media Observer wrote:

RA:
"And here's my favourite, so ridiculous that it should have a laugh track attached to it.  "Rogers is expected to refrain from entering into any agreement for exclusive or preferential distribution of online broadcasting services or content through its distribution platforms."  In other words, they shouldn't favour their own stations in their cable line-up. Rogers not taking advantage of their own stations over those owned by other companies? Honestly, these CRTC folks are either naive or in on the joke."

"Round up the usual suspects".

March 24, 2022 7:12 pm  #9

DOPEfm wrote:

All of this decision should've been announced on Funny 820 AM.

NOPE! That costs too much money! Nice thought though. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 24, 2022 7:24 pm  #10

The Competition Bureau still needs to sign off on this, so it's not entirely a fait accompli. But I don't hold out much hope anything will change. 

Remember, this is the government that promised they would lower your cell phone bills. Are you paying less or enough to at least notice a difference? Not to mention the infamous CRTC decision to first lower rates for third parties accessing the Big 3's infrastructure - only to reverse course once new chair (and former telco industry lobbyist) Ian Scott came on board and said a "mistake" had been made and they had re-evaluated. Back up went the rates. 

That was around the same time he was photographed in a bar having a beer with his good friend, the CEO of Bell. Scott said he was just having a drink with a former colleague and they never discussed business. 

Yep, totally a coincidence, I'm sure. 

March 24, 2022 7:45 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

this buyout puts us squarely on a path to significantly higher Internet and cell phone bills.

Open Media statement

Curious how this leads to higher internet bills?

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 24, 2022 7:52 pm)

March 24, 2022 7:53 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

The Competition Bureau still needs to sign off on this, so it's not entirely a fait accompli. But I don't hold out much hope anything will change. 

Remember, this is the government that promised they would lower your cell phone bills. Are you paying less or enough to at least notice a difference? Not to mention the infamous CRTC decision to first lower rates for third parties accessing the Big 3's infrastructure - only to reverse course once new chair (and former telco industry lobbyist) Ian Scott came on board and said a "mistake" had been made and they had re-evaluated. Back up went the rates. 

That was around the same time he was photographed in a bar having a beer with his good friend, the CEO of Bell. Scott said he was just having a drink with a former colleague and they never discussed business. 

Goddamn bastard jackasses - Trudeau and the heritage minister(s) included, as they themselves are at least partly to blame, those libtard lying chunks of dog crap. They constantly lie through their teeth and pull all this crap on Canadians, yet you still directly or indirectly do business with them and still allow a Liberal to run this country's government?  What in the bloody hell is wrong with you?  Jesus frickin' Christ... dumbass LIE-beral idiots every-friggin-where I go.  And don't get me started on that "New Democrat" who's joining forces with J-Tru - er, J-LIE, that blue-ball blackface bastard. Makes him a libtard liar too, just like every goddamn Democrat out there, the most hated, most incompetent and most corrupt group of individuals on this continent.

This country is long overdue for a damn good cleansing.  First to go? Trudeau, Scott, Rogers, Bibic, and the goddamn Westons.  They all friggin' deserve to lose everything.

March 24, 2022 8:05 pm  #13

Forward Power wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Goddamn bastard jackasses - Trudeau and the heritage minister(s) included, as they themselves are at least partly to blame, those libtard lying chunks of dog crap. They constantly lie through their teeth and pull all this crap on Canadians, yet you still directly or indirectly do business with them and still allow a Liberal to run this country's government?  What in the bloody hell is wrong with you?  Jesus frickin' Christ... dumbass LIE-beral idiots every-friggin-where I go.  And don't get me started on that "New Democrat" who's joining forces with J-Tru - er, J-LIE, that blue-ball blackface bastard. Makes him a libtard liar too, just like every goddamn Democrat out there, the most hated, most incompetent and most corrupt group of individuals on this continent.

This country is long overdue for a damn good cleansing.  First to go? Trudeau, Scott, Rogers, Bibic, and the goddamn Westons.  They all friggin' deserve to lose everything.

The NDP was the only major national party that publicly opposed this deal

March 25, 2022 1:02 am  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Open Media statement

Are you new to Canada?  We pay more than most other countries because oligopolies offer no incentive for companies to lower prices.

March 25, 2022 1:21 am  #15

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Are you new to Canada?  We pay more than most other countries because oligopolies offer no incentive for companies to lower prices.

So, what you are saying, is that Shaw internet service was available here in Toronto but now it simply won't be anymore because Rogers will now own that too.  
Such a shame. Competition is always a good thing. 

March 25, 2022 10:16 am  #16

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Open Media statement

There is zero overlap between the two companies' internet service areas. This changes nothing in regards to incentive and competition.

March 25, 2022 10:27 am  #17

RadioAaron wrote:

There is zero overlap between the two companies' internet service areas. This changes nothing in regards to incentive and competition.

Thank-you. That's EXACTLY the point well made.

However, I have decided that if it's okay for Rogers to own Freedom Mobile, life no longer has any value. 

March 25, 2022 11:00 am  #18

My concern isn't phone and Internet at the moment, it's what happens to Global's newsrooms once Rogers takes over Shaw. They're supposedly going to put more money into City TV newsrooms - in fact, the CRTC decision insists on it - but what happens to their well-established competitor, which actually has more TV outlets and serves more markets across the country than any of the City TV stations? How long until the layoffs begin?

While City may get more journalists, what happens to the folks who currently work at Global? It appears to me we'll get fewer or certainly less well funded news sources across the country once this takes effect. There has never been a time when having FEWER choices is better for the public. 

I suspect the CRTC cabal of former industry shills knows that, but couldn't care less. 

March 25, 2022 11:11 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

My concern isn't phone and Internet at the moment, it's what happens to Global's newsrooms once Rogers takes over Shaw.  

On a very ironic note, CRTC still dictates regulation that forces Global to carry X percent news content no matter what. 

March 25, 2022 11:19 am  #20

But there's nothing to stop them from loading up on filler. Fewer reporters=less relevant news and more reliance on CBS and other newsfeeds and less local content.

They may have a news commitment of some kind. But no one can tell them what kind of news they have to do or the quality behind it. It is impossible to do more with less.

I know. I once worked in a place that tried to get away with it and watched as the numbers dropped with each rating book. And those were in the early Internet days when TV news numbers were still relatively strong. I can only imagine what will happen in that scenario today. 

March 25, 2022 11:27 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

But there's nothing to stop them from loading up on filler. Fewer reporters=less relevant news and more reliance on CBS and other newsfeeds and less local content.

When you put it that way, it sounds like the end result is the cancellation of Global National, merging it into the regular newscast. 
City TV did exactly that. They used to have a program called CityNews International. 
Somehow it wasn't working out for them, so it got cancelled and that news merged into their regular newscast. 

March 25, 2022 11:42 am  #22

And don't forget about the long-gone CityNews Channel. It was designed to compete with CP24 (which, ironically, City TV actually founded and ran before it was ordered sold to Bell in the CHUM takeover.) But "2-4" had the advantage of being long established and on in nearly every waiting room, restaurant and other public space across the city.

It only lasted two years, from 2011-2013 before Rogers realized it would never catch up to its competitor and they shut it down.

March 25, 2022 12:58 pm  #23

I am totally ok with this deal as long as the following happens,
They still have to fund Corus the same way Shaw does, and not interfere with how Corus operates, and they need to sell off the mobile division of Shaw (Freedom and Shaw Mobile). But the condition of selling the mobile division is it has to be to someone that does not have service in those areas they serve, so Eastlink, Videotron or other smaller carriers. 
If those conditions happen then I am ok with it, because basically all this means is that Rogers just owns the cable, internet and phone services all the way to BC. 
The only other condition I would impose is that bills do not rise for a period of time across the Rogers/Shaw services, and in fact I would impose lowering bills either in the Rogers area or Shaw area to match what bills are in the other territory. So for example if Rogers was cheaper in the East for services then it is in the west with Shaw, I would lower Shaw to match Rogers. I know that most likely won't happen but it would be nice. 

March 25, 2022 2:29 pm  #24

I am wondering if Rogers may put a real television station in Ottawa.

March 25, 2022 2:31 pm  #25

Ratings wise Global News is normally #2 behind CTV in markets in the east.  In Western Canada Global is the most popular television newscast in various markets so I would think that Rogers wouldn't starve Global News for resources, even if expanding City tv's news operation.  City News has no real track record other than in Toronto. 

However if more resources go to City, this could eat further into CTV and CBC's news ratings in some markets.  If some audience shifts to City from Global would not be the end of the world. I would make it a condition that Rogers needs to operate a full affiliate in Ottawa for either Global or City.  Surprised that both currently only have a repeater for the capital. 

And as RA pointed out above, this is not a done deal yet.  The minister of Industry Science and Innovations has already said that the deal will not be approved unless Rogers sells some of Shaw's wireless licenses, and he repeated this just a few days ago.   Shaw owned Freedom Mobile, Canada's fourth largest carrier has had at least two offers to buy the company.  The deal also needs to be approved by the Competition Bureau, which likely would happen if Rogers sells Freedom Mobile.  

March 25, 2022 3:23 pm  #26

March 25, 2022 4:56 pm  #27

March 25, 2022 5:40 pm  #28

Forward Power wrote:

That was 24 hours ago. Feeling better today? 

March 25, 2022 5:57 pm  #29

There's no business like Shaw business.

March 25, 2022 7:13 pm  #30

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Does anyone know if Rogers was clear about their plans for CHEX (or CKWS for that matter)?

Rogers will not own them. They will continue to be owned by CORUS.