sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2022 11:46 am  #1

Why Is This Cable Station Allowed In Canada - & Does Anyone Watch It?

In a Toronto Star article about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, there's a paragraph that actually concerns broadcasting. It's from Conservative MP Michael Chong, who wants to know why the network known as "RT" is allowed on cable in Canada.

I have to admit I've wondered about this myself. In case you're not familiar with it, "RT" stands for "Russia Today" and is essentially an admitted Russian propaganda tool for the government there, in the form of a "news" network. And yes, it's entirely in English. 

But it's not just Canada. Somehow, this is also on cable in the U.S. 

I'm not a fan of censorship, but experts say this is nothing but a disinformation network for Vladimir Putin. So I've often wondered - it can't be argued that it's really for Russian immigrants, not when it's in English. Why did the government here think it's OK to have this on cable and satellite systems in this country? (And what were the U.S, companies thinking adding this long-time U.S. adversary propaganda voice to their cable dial?) 

There is also a history of American radio succumbing to the temptation of taking money to air this stuff - including one in Washington D.C. At least Radio Sputnik, as it's called, makes no real pretence about what it is. 

Has anyone here ever watched this thing? Do you think it should be on our systems? Or were you unaware of its existence and therefore don't much care if it's just another channel you skip by when tuning around the dial? 

There is enough disinformation in the world. It could be argued we don't need it on our TVs here, let alone pay a cable bill to receive it. 

February 24, 2022 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Why Is This Cable Station Allowed In Canada - & Does Anyone Watch It?

To be honest... not sure why most people would pay money for it when it's available free of charge via most streaming sticks/app etc.   

They have a few channels available in English.   RT says they run arms length from their overlords, but based on how things tend to paint Russia positive, I question that.   RT also has American based studios. 

I think it's no different than Fox News...  they do cover the facts, but run their coverage on a slant to ignore or show less light on the real issue if it involves Russia.    If you "block" them, you would just push people to watch to their internet stream, which goes down the road of censorship.   I think sadly the public has to make up their own decisions on the issue.   We don't need our government being the big brother of what we get to see, watch, read, hear.   This is the part of Freedom that I think we lack in Canada already, not what the convy thinks is an issue. 

Last edited by radiokid (February 24, 2022 12:17 pm)

February 24, 2022 12:26 pm  #3

Well, given my open skies stance outlined in another thread, I guess I would have to agree with you. But viewer beware, especially with what's going on now.

February 24, 2022 11:57 pm  #4

fwiw, the Anonymous cyber collective is taking credit for a DDoS attack that took down the RT.com website today..... still down last time i checked. (now i'm on a CSIS list i guess)

[img]https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_2044,w_3631,x_769,y_597/dpr_1.5/c_limit,w_608/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1645757689/GettyImages-870601034_x6fymh[/img]

February 24, 2022 11:59 pm  #5

I suspect this is only the beginning of the cyber mischief to come. Keep your cell phones charged and flashlights at the ready, just in case...

February 25, 2022 11:16 am  #6

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 25, 2022 11:17 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 25, 2022 3:04 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I suspect this is only the beginning of the cyber mischief to come. Keep your cell phones charged and flashlights at the ready, just in case...

good advice RA

and should anyone find themselves without a flashlight, there's usually one in most cellphones. 🔦📲

note to self: buy AM/FM transistor radio and double A batteries.

Last edited by betaylored (February 25, 2022 3:06 pm)

February 27, 2022 9:31 am  #8

Australia becomes one of the first countries to remove RT from many of its cable systems. I'm guessing more nations will follow the longer this goes on. 

Foxtel Suspends State-Sponsored Russian Channel RT Over Ukraine Coverage

February 27, 2022 1:12 pm  #9

The only reason to make RT still available would be to see how they are reporting on the war.  Bell never promotes the network that I have seen but did have it on for free about three years ago for a couple of months. I remember watching it and they had no commercials just promo.  Almost all of their on air people either had British or North American accents and most of the newscasts were from their US facilities and bureaus. 

About five provinces including Ontario and Quebec have stopped selling Russian products in provincially run liquor stores. Russian booze has been falling in popularity in Canada over the past few years.  Last year according to Reuters alcohol sales from Russia was down 23.8% from 2020, to an unimpressive $4.8 million.  Vodka is the second most popular liquor in Canada after whiskey, but Canadians are buying more and more domestic vodka rather than from Russia.

Canadian provinces banning the Russian alcohol has been picked up by a lot of news services around the world and some other countries are starting to do the same.  

February 27, 2022 1:35 pm  #10

Evan Solomon asked Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly on Question Period Sunday morning about banning "RT" from Canadian cable and sat systems while the war continues. In typical political-speak these days, she really didn't answer the question, and when pressed a second time, would only say "we're considering it." 

I'm no fan of censorship but there's little doubt that - accented or not - it is acknowledged to be a Russian propaganda tool, plain and simple, dressed up to look like a legit news network. And disinformation has long been a weapon used by The Kremlin to sow dissent and confuse the enemy - who, in this case, is us. 

Much as I hate to ban anything to do with free speech, I have to confess I would not lose much sleep if this was suddenly made unavailable. Chances are you could still access it online, though. 

February 27, 2022 5:20 pm  #11

February 27, 2022 5:37 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

About five provinces including Ontario and Quebec have stopped selling Russian products in provincially run liquor stores.

I suspect that in reality, the booze is already paid for and the LCBO has just put it back on the shelf in their warehouse.

February 27, 2022 5:41 pm  #13

And according to the article "A ban on broadcasting can be imposed in case of failure to "present the news with accuracy and impartiality" the CRTC said."

Fox News comes to mind....

There is "news" and then there is "opinion"

February 27, 2022 10:53 pm  #14

Bell and Rogers are pulling the channel from their lineups. It's unknown if this is permanent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-bell-russia-today-1.6366729

February 28, 2022 2:45 am  #15

Shaw and Telus also announced this evening they’re removing RT from their lineups

https://twitter.com/shawinfo/status/1498140141398859782?s=21

https://twitter.com/telusnews/status/1498158294476607489?s=21

February 28, 2022 8:37 am  #16

I thought it was a nice gesture by Rogers and Bell to waive all text and long distance charges for customers trying to contact family members back in Ukraine.

February 28, 2022 12:22 pm  #17

As of 11:15am, RT is still available on Rogers legacy cable ch 172 in full HD. Unfortunately, BBC World on ch 194 is only SD.

February 28, 2022 12:47 pm  #18

Is Bell and Rogers offering any Ukrainian TV channels for free to all customers? Right now, Telus has opened up First National Channel and Channel 5 Ukraine for everyone.

February 28, 2022 1:21 pm  #19

I recall listening to Radio Moscow back in the day and it was so obviously propaganda that one couldn't take what they said seriously. As even in the 80s, shortwave radio was a pretty marginal hobby, Radio Moscow broadcasts didn't have much impact in North America (I seem to recall CKO and maybe some other stations used to carry the odd Radio Moscow show late at night, but perhaps I'm misremembering). RT seems to have much more of an impact not only because it's much more widely accessible due to the internet and cable but the content is delivered more skillfully than the rather wooden presentation of Radio Moscow. Any thoughts on how they're pulling it off? 

February 28, 2022 5:05 pm  #20

In a news conference Monday, Trudeau says he has officially asked the CRTC to look into banning RT on Cdn. systems, while acknowledging that some have already done so. 

February 28, 2022 6:26 pm  #21

I'm not a fan of RT and I'm actually in disdain of RT-fanboys but where are all the free speech warriors who you'd expect would be complaining about censorship? 

February 28, 2022 6:31 pm  #22

I confess I'm somewhat divided on this. One the one hand, I'm not a fan of censorship. As the old expression goes, "the way to fight false/hate speech is with more free speech."

On the other, I hate to see propaganda disguised as news being given any credence simply by dint of official recognition and distribution in Canada. It's a tough one for someone like me, but I have to admit I won't be sad to see it go!

February 28, 2022 7:36 pm  #23

RT is gone from Rogers ch 177 as of 6:30pm. On screen is a Ukrainian flag with the simple statement "We have made the decision to remove Russia Today from our channel lineup"  Statement is then repeated in French.

February 28, 2022 10:09 pm  #24

March 1, 2022 1:09 am  #25

I would rather have access to the misinformation so we can see it for ourselves.  
I would be in favour shrinking the screen slightly and with a message like: RT is a known propaganda outlet of the Russian Government broadcasting misinformation about the current situation in Ukraine.  We continue to provide RT as a matter of public record.

March 1, 2022 1:20 am  #26

Tom Korski of Blacklock's Reporter noted on 640 Monday night that when this motion was introduced in the House of Commons, the wording carefully made it clear that it applied to any channel that might give misinformation about current events.

He advised that was an interesting phrasing, since it could also be taken to include several Communist Chinese-originated channels that also air on some cable systems in Canada. 

As far as I know, those are still up and running but if the motion were to pass, they might have to be removed as well. 

March 1, 2022 2:08 am  #27

RadioActive wrote:

Tom Korski of Blacklock's Reporter noted on 640 Monday night that when this motion was introduced in the House of Commons, the wording carefully made it clear that it applied to any channel that might give misinformation about current events. 

I suppose Fox News would have to go if that's the standard, and maybe CNN as well. 

March 1, 2022 4:54 pm  #28

It's not just here. RT has been removed from the systems of countries all over the world. But it's not just RT.

A radio station in Moscow that wasn't complimentary to Putin the Pipsqueak has now been pulled off the air, as well.  

Russian radio station taken off air over Ukraine coverage

March 1, 2022 6:24 pm  #29

DirecTV in the U.S. just pulled RT America from their channel lineup, too. And it was done VERY abruptly.

March 1, 2022 8:46 pm  #30

Didn't Australia pull Fox News some time ago?