sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2022 10:53 am  #31

Re: Get your Flow bets in!!!

torontomike wrote:

TODAY Radio

So what do I win?

February 13, 2022 10:57 am  #32

Back when he was on WABC, Mark Simone would do a trivia question and when a caller got it right and ask "what do I win?" his answer was always "a case of satisfaction." 

Yours is in the mail! 

February 13, 2022 11:12 am  #33

It's really all I want!

February 13, 2022 11:58 am  #34

Listening now. Judging by 30 minutes of music, it's essentially going to be considered an upbeat AC format. 

This branding doesn't make much sense from a corporate standpoint unless they have other stations also flipping to "Today" in the near future. Not to mention, did any of the white execs at Stingray think that perhaps it wasn't the best idea to shut down Toronto's primary black station in the middle of black history month? They deserve backlash if they get it .. very bizarre timing. Have a look at their social media sites and you'll see plenty of complaints already, especially with regards to CKFG's poor signal..... and that's without the public knowing the station has been gentrified overnight - so to speak. 

Speaking of social media, CFXJ appears to have sold their social media sites to CKFG as well. CFXJ's "Today" will have to start from scratch. 935todayradio is registered on instagram and followed by at least one stingray staffer. However I cannot find a twitter or facebook for "Today" yet. 

Last edited by torontostan (February 13, 2022 12:00 pm)

February 13, 2022 12:20 pm  #35

FLOW is going to lose a lot of listeners as 98.7 is a poor signal in many areas that 93.5 covered especially in the east end of Toronto. Does anyone know if they’ve been approved to test HD?

February 13, 2022 12:35 pm  #36

Hrick wrote:

FLOW is going to lose a lot of listeners as 98.7 is a poor signal in many areas that 93.5 covered especially in the east end of Toronto. Does anyone know if they’ve been approved to test HD?

Not even sure that would help reception very much, would it? They're also second adjacent to CBLA which would complicate things. Maybe going full mono could buy them some more reliability. 

February 13, 2022 12:55 pm  #37

torontostan wrote:

Listening now. Judging by 30 minutes of music, it's essentially going to be considered an upbeat AC format. 
Not to mention, did any of the white execs at Stingray think that perhaps it wasn't the best idea to shut down Toronto's primary black station in the middle of black history month?

They did the right thing. They drew attention to a frequency that really needed it. (98.7 is finally getting better awareness outside of the Carib community)
What nobody's really mentioning is that Vibe 105 must really LOVE this...even though their signal isn't all that much better.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 13, 2022 1:39 pm  #38

Here are the coverage maps for 93.5 and 98.7.  The old FLOW CFXJ has a larger coverage area but not huge. 

February 13, 2022 1:53 pm  #39

paterson1 wrote:

Here are the coverage maps for 93.5 and 98.7.  The old FLOW CFXJ has a larger coverage area but not huge. 

These don't seem to be very accurate in practice unfortunately. I can assure you beyond the "local" contour identified, CKFG is completely unlistenable. Many people as close as Scarborough are reporting issues on Flow social media

February 13, 2022 1:56 pm  #40

Radiowiz wrote:

They did the right thing. They drew attention to a frequency that really needed it. (98.7 is finally getting better awareness outside of the Carib community)
What nobody's really mentioning is that Vibe 105 must really LOVE this...even though their signal isn't all that much better.

They did the right thing? By whom?

For Stingrays business interests, sure. For black people, nope. Now there's only one black station and it has the second worst reception of any english commercial station in the market. Not sure how that's doing the best thing for the community in which CFXJ's application said they'd serve. I know their license doesn't require it, but maybe in retrospect it should've. 

I get Stingray's point of view here, and it's very likely this will perform better than their old format. But you can't deny it was a poor decision to do this in the middle of black history month. Again, I think it was a clever deal and CKFG clearly benefits from it, but if you're a member of that community there's no way you feel the "right thing" was accomplished here. 

Vibe 105 isn't a commercial station, and can't be heard outside of their own parking lot. 

February 13, 2022 2:33 pm  #41

Interesting to note that it was three years ago (almost to the day) that Stingray brought back the FLOW Toronto's Hip Hop branding to 93.5.  The change was made Monday Feb 11, 2019.  Media in Canada had the story the next day...https://mediaincanada.com/2019/02/12/stingray-brings-flow-93-5-back-to-toronto/

February 13, 2022 9:59 pm  #42

torontostan wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

They did the right thing? By whom?

For Stingrays business interests, sure. For black people, nope. Now there's only one black station and it has the second worst reception of any english commercial station in the market. Not sure how that's doing the best thing for the community in which CFXJ's application said they'd serve. I know their license doesn't require it, but maybe in retrospect it should've. 

I get Stingray's point of view here, and it's very likely this will perform better than their old format. But you can't deny it was a poor decision to do this in the middle of black history month. Again, I think it was a clever deal and CKFG clearly benefits from it, but if you're a member of that community there's no way you feel the "right thing" was accomplished here. 

Vibe 105 isn't a commercial station, and can't be heard outside of their own parking lot. 

I'm well aware that Vibe 105 is not a commercial station. They do have structure though, and their signal is better than you make it out to be. Plus, if you're not going anywhere, they are on the Rogers cable digital box @ 945.
(moot point though-I honestly do not know if they are available through Rogers Ignite TV)

*unless said signal has indeed been reduced in recent years, I used to pick up CHRY/Vibe 105 in the Beach area of Toronto (or Beaches, if preferred to say it that way)  
I've also managed to pick up CHRY in Scarborough, but that was many years ago.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.