sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2021 10:43 am  #1

It's Official: Mike Stafford No Longer With GNR640

June 10, 2021 10:56 am  #2

Re: It's Official: Mike Stafford No Longer With GNR640

Hmmm, I was actually wondering about this, when I didn't hear Greg Brady say he was in for Mike Stafford - not once in the past few weeks. Not a good sign. 

June 10, 2021 10:58 am  #3

I love Staff and I think he's the best in the business.  I hope everything works out in his favour. 

June 10, 2021 11:20 am  #4

If someone disappears from a radio station's web site, you can colour him gone. Nice to see 640 is doing things in the traditional radio way, no goodbyes just gonzo alonzo.

June 10, 2021 11:20 am  #5

I just called Corus Quay and asked to be put through to Mike Stafford's voicemail. The operator connected me to Patrick Malkin's line (and voicemail) instead. That doesn't augur well. 

Whatever the reason for his disappearance, it's a shame, after he struggled so hard to come back from a broken neck last year. 

Can't think of a current on-air type who might serve there well, unless they plan to keep Brady in the slot for a while (he's actually been doing a pretty good job filling in but I would hate to lose his live Saturday morning show.) Or worse yet, God forbid, simulcast the Global Morning Show.

Certainly, Oakley has been there/done that and probably would not want to return to those hours. 

June 10, 2021 12:04 pm  #6

I have been a very long time fan of him, even back when he called Newtalk 1010 the "old folks home" as his former employer.  He said something like, "I expect to be fired everyday.  If my swipe card will not let me in, I am gone"

Too bad, he was the best in Toronto radio by far.

Mike if you ever read this, I hope  the Hurricane and the Leprechaun , Jody and you stay safe and well. 

Take care, long time listener, never a caller...

You ever worry that no one is listening?

June 10, 2021 12:37 pm  #7

Visit my brand stinkin' new radio page:
https://www.joshholliday.com/radio/

June 10, 2021 12:47 pm  #8

According to this latest Vice article, the end came as a result of a racist comment during an online workplace meeting. A Corus statement confirms Stafford is no longer with the company. 

Global News Radio Host Leaves Company After Making Racist Slur in Work Chat Group

Given his previous brush with, shall we say controversy, and how sensitive the times are, you'd think he would have been more careful. Sadly hoist by his own petard. What a waste of so much talent. 

June 10, 2021 12:49 pm  #9

Only reason I listened to that station.  In fact I thought he was better in the midday slot where he seemed to have more freedom.  Mornings can be so restrictive.  Just my opinion, but him solo than with a co-host was way more interesting and hilarious.  Maybe he's done with radio, I hope not.  

June 10, 2021 12:53 pm  #10

The odd thing is that a few days ago, when I was wondering if he was just off on vacation, I'm pretty sure they played one of his Frank Leo real estate spots. Why they would do that when he's no longer there is surprising, unless they simply didn't have anything to replace it with at the time. 

Maybe he'll end up on Sauga 960. Seems like everyone else that's been turfed from a Toronto radio station does.

June 10, 2021 1:22 pm  #11

Oh no. Anyway, I'm sure he'll fit in nicely with 960's Rogue's Gallery.

June 10, 2021 4:02 pm  #12

June 10, 2021 4:03 pm  #13

June 10, 2021 4:25 pm  #14

Sad day for talk radio

Best of luck Mike.

I wish he would now go the Jon Poole route and do a daily podcast.

I’d pay for that

June 10, 2021 4:38 pm  #15

How stupid can you be? His career is over. I hope he has saved some money. Is he old enough for CPP?

Last edited by cash (June 10, 2021 4:38 pm)