sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2021 5:25 pm  #1


How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

This story is about the play-by-play guys who do the A's and Giants games in California, but you have to think the same is going on for Dan Shulman, stuck in Toronto. The best part of the yarn, though, comes from the very first paragraph and involves one of my all time favourite broadcasters, Jon Miller, as he and partner Mike Krukow were calling a Giants' game off a monitor. 

“Jon and I were doing the middle three innings, and it was like the fifth inning and the Giants are in San Diego,” Krukow recalled. “Jon’s call goes, ‘Here’s the pitch . . . it’s a belt, it’s high, left field, Grisham goes to his right . . . he’s to the wall . . . and I don’t know!’ He literally said that. I don’t know. They didn’t give us the shot.”

How much is lost in a remote baseball broadcast?

 

 

June 4, 2021 5:20 am  #2


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

What about the plays and pitches that are seen by Martinez and Tabler that are not described?  There are far too many game events that are viewed but are not described for the radio audience.  Sportsnet should remind both Martinez and Tabler, they have a radio audience as well.  

 

June 4, 2021 6:39 am  #3


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

laffin wrote:

What about the plays and pitches that are seen by Martinez and Tabler that are not described?  There are far too many game events that are viewed but are not described for the radio audience.  Sportsnet should remind both Martinez and Tabler, they have a radio audience as well.  

That and they often don't give the score going to break, I presume because it's always on screen. Too bad those listening on the radio can't see it. It's arguably the most important piece of information they could give out - but too often don't.

     Thread Starter
 

June 4, 2021 10:15 am  #4


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

I think if Sportsnet gave a damn, the suits would demand that Martinez and Tabler keep their radio audience in mind.  But I don’t think they do.


- Chris Mayberry
 

June 4, 2021 1:49 pm  #5


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

Maybo wrote:

I think if Sportsnet gave a damn......

Sadly, they don't. 

If they did,  the Jays would not be the only MLB team without a separate radio broadcast team.
 

Last edited by Media Observer (June 4, 2021 1:51 pm)

 

June 4, 2021 2:35 pm  #6


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

The television broadcast crew is not to blame.  Put the blame where it belongs.  The Rogers suits!!!

 

June 4, 2021 6:50 pm  #7


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

Nonsense!  If you purport to be a professional broadcaster, if in fact Sportsnet assumes Martinez and Tabler are, it is imperative their radio talent should never be influenced, notwithstanding any "suit" telling them to ignore the radio audience.  Martinez and Tabler must understand and accept there is a massive radio audience as well as the TV viewer and describe the play-by-play accordingly, if they value their reputations.  As a former ND and I was told to fabricate/adulterate any broadcast item, the request would be ignored as it would be an assault on my integrity. 
 

 

June 5, 2021 12:13 pm  #8


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

laffin wrote:

Nonsense!  If you purport to be a professional broadcaster, if in fact Sportsnet assumes Martinez and Tabler are, it is imperative their radio talent should never be influenced, notwithstanding any "suit" telling them to ignore the radio audience.  Martinez and Tabler must understand and accept there is a massive radio audience as well as the TV viewer and describe the play-by-play accordingly, if they value their reputations.  As a former ND and I was told to fabricate/adulterate any broadcast item, the request would be ignored as it would be an assault on my integrity. 
 

 
You’re talking about two ex-ballplayers here, not professionally trained broadcasters.


- Chris Mayberry
 

June 5, 2021 10:34 pm  #9


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

Maybo wrote:

laffin wrote:

Nonsense!  If you purport to be a professional broadcaster, if in fact Sportsnet assumes Martinez and Tabler are, it is imperative their radio talent should never be influenced, notwithstanding any "suit" telling them to ignore the radio audience.  Martinez and Tabler must understand and accept there is a massive radio audience as well as the TV viewer and describe the play-by-play accordingly, if they value their reputations.  As a former ND and I was told to fabricate/adulterate any broadcast item, the request would be ignored as it would be an assault on my integrity. 
 

 
You’re talking about two ex-ballplayers here, not professionally trained broadcasters.

Then train them.  They should be aware of who they're speaking to.
 

 

June 6, 2021 1:33 pm  #10


Re: How much is lost in a remotely called baseball broadcast?

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Maybo wrote:

laffin wrote:

Nonsense!  If you purport to be a professional broadcaster, if in fact Sportsnet assumes Martinez and Tabler are, it is imperative their radio talent should never be influenced, notwithstanding any "suit" telling them to ignore the radio audience.  Martinez and Tabler must understand and accept there is a massive radio audience as well as the TV viewer and describe the play-by-play accordingly, if they value their reputations.  As a former ND and I was told to fabricate/adulterate any broadcast item, the request would be ignored as it would be an assault on my integrity. 
 

 
You’re talking about two ex-ballplayers here, not professionally trained broadcasters.

Then train them.  They should be aware of who they're speaking to.
 

 
Exactly.  Up to the suits to do so.  Except I don’t think they give a damn.


- Chris Mayberry