sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2021 10:32 am  #1

Mark Towhey Takes "Temporary Leave" From NT1010's Roundtable

After a recent bizarre appearance on CFRB's "Roundtable," morning show host John Moore announced Thursday that the former 1010 host was taking some time off from the 7:45 AM forum. No reason was given, but last week, while discussing the pandemic, a clearly angry Towhey told a constantly interrupting fellow panelist Shelley Carroll to "shut up," (To be perfectly honest, she deserved it, but that didn't negate that he probably should have held his temper. Although it certainly was an entertaining moment.)

He hasn't been on since then and now says he won't return for an unspecified amount of time. Despite the pronouncements, I can't help but wonder if that was his choice or the station's.   

April 8, 2021 10:37 am  #2

Re: Mark Towhey Takes "Temporary Leave" From NT1010's Roundtable

April 8, 2021 6:45 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

After a recent bizarre appearance on CFRB's "Roundtable," morning show host John Moore announced Thursday that the former 1010 host was taking some time off from the 7:45 AM forum. No reason was given, but last week, while discussing the pandemic, a clearly angry Towhey told a constantly interrupting fellow panelist Shelley Carroll to "shut up," (To be perfectly honest, she deserved it, but that didn't negate that he probably should have held his temper. Although it certainly was an entertaining moment.)

He hasn't been on since then and now says he won't return for an unspecified amount of time. Despite the pronouncements, I can't help but wonder if that was his choice or the station's.   

re: " .. , a clearly angry Towhey told a constantly interrupting fellow panelist Shelley Carroll to "shut up," (To be perfectly honest, she deserved it, .. "

I couldn't disagree more.

I listen to John Moore most mornings.  Towhey & Agar frequently interrupt, over-talk, insult & mock the other panelists.  No other panelist comes anywhere close to being as rude as Towhey & Agar.

On the particular day in question, Towhey said ".. the councillors are sitting around with their thumb up their bum doing nothing ..".   Shelley responded something to the affect: "Sorry Mark, I can't let you get away with that".  The panelists exercise much too much tolerance with Towhey/Agar's boorish behavior.

re: " .. Although it certainly was an entertaining moment .. "

Disagree again.  It's not entertaining.  Most want adult conversation, not bombast & insult.  Isn't this the same reason many on this board have sighted as to why they don't like cable news .. too many talking heads yelling at each other?

If Towhey can't behave like an adult, the "temporary" should be stricken from his leave.

April 8, 2021 8:46 pm  #4

People seem to forget that Towhey was a Rob Ford apologist and yes man.  He was also a rather mediocre low-ranking army officer and alt-right type radio talk show host.  Why 1010 kept him on after Rob Ford died and Doug Ford lost his bid to be Toronto mayor I have no idea.  But for some reason 1010 keeps going back to the well with this guy.  No, you shut up!

April 8, 2021 8:57 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

People seem to forget that Towhey was a Rob Ford apologist and yes man.  He was also a rather mediocre low-ranking army officer and alt-right type radio talk show host.  Why 1010 kept him on after Rob Ford died and Doug Ford lost his bid to be Toronto mayor I have no idea.  But for some reason 1010 keeps going back to the well with this guy.  No, you shut up!

I remember when Christie Blatchford tore a strip off Towhey because he resigned as Rob Ford's chief of staff but didn't say why he was resigning. The guy never had any credibility. 

April 16, 2021 10:28 am  #6

It looks like Towhey hasn't submitted a column to the Sun since February, as well. 
https://torontosun.com/author/mtowheypostmedia

Last edited by Hansa (April 16, 2021 10:29 am)

May 7, 2021 10:09 am  #7

It's been less than a month since Towhey's bad behaviour on air caused him to take a "leave of absence." (And there's still no word if it was his choice or the station's.) 

But it now appears all is forgiven, with the former soldier back on the air subbing for Jerry Agar on the iHeart Talk Radio Network Friday. I wonder if this means he'll be back on the Roundtables, as well?

January 6, 2022 10:32 am  #8

Mark Towhey is at it again .. 

On Moore's Round Table this morning 2022Jan06, after listening to a public health clip, Mark Towhey [paraphrased] said, these people go into public health because they were mediocre at med school & they are wanna-be politicians who think they couldn't be elected.

So Mr. Towhey .. he of a failed less than 1 year stint as Sun Editor & he of Chief of Staff of the most dysfunctional of Toronto mayors & he who constant resorts to over-talking & telling fellow panelists to "Shut Up" to mask his own inadequacies has the gall to personally attack others, not just their ideas, who are arguably much more accomplished & responsible than Mr. Towhey. 

Again .. long past time for this Towhey clown to be sidelined to "shout at the clouds" in his personal abode.

Moore & a fellow panelist (think it was Thompson] called out Towhey .. but, no surprise, on Agar's show, Agar supported Towhey & went after "Thompson" .. 

Towhey/Agar .. insult radio kings .. why?  

January 6, 2022 10:48 am  #9

While I certainly believe that you can be a good journalist without every having gone to J-school and indeed, many of the greatest journalists never did (if for no other reason than J-school is a recent invention) - Towhey is an excellent argument for why journalists need to be professionally trained. 

January 6, 2022 12:51 pm  #10

We live in a world where far too many fail upwards. This isn't their fault - it's the fault of the systems that facilitate them.

Last edited by Chrisphen (January 6, 2022 12:51 pm)