sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2021 12:13 am  #1

Something is wrong with 610 cktb stream

I'm listening to Coast to Coast and the stream through the iheartradio app is popping and skipping ahead

February 18, 2021 12:18 am  #2

Re: Something is wrong with 610 cktb stream

The commercials on 610 are fine. Just the stream is wonky from coast

February 18, 2021 8:34 am  #3

UPDATE!  I gave up with AM radio and switched to a podcast.  How apropos.  

February 19, 2021 10:55 am  #4

It's more than likely the dish is/was filled with snow.   To my knowledge, coast to coast is still satellite feed and typically this can happen.   Sadly with automation, unless the station goes off the air completely, no one will likely know.   There just isn't staff left to monitor 24/7

Last edited by radiokid (February 19, 2021 10:56 am)

February 19, 2021 11:39 am  #5

two solutions:

i) heater element(s) on the bottom of the dish...  (on/off could be by remote operation, or even automation)
ii) protective weather cover installed over the face of the dish itself...

It may also have been isolated snow fade affecting their receive dish at the time, and would be more problematic with a smaller diameter sat dish...

February 19, 2021 12:02 pm  #6

That doesn't help me a lot  It's tough to find a station replaying Coast to Coast from the previous night, like CKTB does.  Many stations carry the live show, but I don't know others that carry it from the previous night and play that before the live show starts.  

February 19, 2021 12:24 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's tough to find a station replaying Coast to Coast from the previous night, like CKTB does.   

Is this a thinly-disguised infommercial or does it just sound that way?

February 19, 2021 12:27 pm  #8

geo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's tough to find a station replaying Coast to Coast from the previous night, like CKTB does.   

Is this a thinly-disguised infommercial or does it just sound that way?

I'm on the 610 CKTB payroll.  Larry Fedoruk is my boy.

February 19, 2021 5:25 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

That doesn't help me a lot  It's tough to find a station replaying Coast to Coast from the previous night, like CKTB does.  Many stations carry the live show, but I don't know others that carry it from the previous night and play that before the live show starts.  

You can avoid the iHeartRadio app itself (I occasionally have an issue with a CKTB stuttering stream there) by using your phone (or tablet, or laptop - whatever you're using, you didn't specify) and hitting up CKTB's site directly in your app's web browser. The "Listen Now" option and clicking to play it there will render properly in the phone's browser. I do this and the stream is perfect even if choppy on iHeartRadio.

February 19, 2021 5:55 pm  #10

AspectRatio wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

You can avoid the iHeartRadio app itself (I occasionally have an issue with a CKTB stuttering stream there) by using your phone (or tablet, or laptop - whatever you're using, you didn't specify) and hitting up CKTB's site directly in your app's web browser. The "Listen Now" option and clicking to play it there will render properly in the phone's browser. I do this and the stream is perfect even if choppy on iHeartRadio.

I did try listening directly from the site and encountered the same issue