sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2021 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Zoomer Radio Celebrates 20 Years

January 6, 2021 9:07 pm  #3

LOL...

Seriously though...congratulations to AM 740/Zoomer Radio for 20 years of entertaining and informative radio for the 50+ crowd!

And now, I'm apparently part of that crowd...!  

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

January 8, 2021 11:06 am  #4

CONGRATULATIONS ZOOMER RADIO!! Today celebrating 20 years on the air.  The programming today is dedicated to the birthday all day long.  Like everything Moses Znaimer does, Zoomer is unique, no other station sounds like them.

I think they have a great mix of solid  information, news and interesting, varied music.  Their audience is not huge, but very loyal.  And they have advertisers that nobody else has, and this speaks to advertiser loyalty as well. Numbers don't always matter to advertisers, but results always do.  I am sure Zoomers advertisers get positive results. 

A station who understands it's audience, programs to them, gives them the information and music they want and has lots of personality.  In the last eight minutes they have played Jump Jive and Wail by Louis Prima, followed by Teddy Bear by Elvis in celebration of his 86th birthday, followed by David Bowie, Changes.  Perfect.

Here's to many more great years ahead! 

January 8, 2021 11:16 am  #5

The other thing about Zoomer, which has nothing to do with its anniversary, is that this is generally the only Toronto station most of those hundreds of miles away can get on a regular basis. My sister, who lives in New York City, always mentions how she sometimes likes to tune in that "Toronto station at 740," which is the only one she can get in the Big Apple at night. (Although she occasionally refers to CHML coming in there on most nights, as well.)

Whenever I run into an American who tunes around their dial, AM 740 inevitably comes up as the only station they really know from here. Same with people who do all those "testing new radio" videos on YouTube. AM740 is always a mark of how well it receives distant stations. 

It's an amazing signal, although they naturally emphasize their FM repeater on air.  

January 8, 2021 11:37 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It's an amazing signal, although they naturally emphasize their FM repeater on air.  

Sadly in downtown Toronto 740 is awful, which I don't blame them for pushing the FM hard.   Not to mention it's music on AM in 2021.   The signal is amazing for distance, being clear channel and full power 24/7 on 740.    Sadly when electrical interference, and poor quality to start with being on AM, I can't blame them at all for not caring as much about the 740 flame thrower and pushing hard on the 96.7 light bulb.  

January 8, 2021 12:02 pm  #7

I wouldn't say they push the fm frequency over am at all.   On air they say Zoomer Radio  when the announcers are doing a break.  If it is an official break yes it is both and the FM first because it is less known and not repeated in the course of the day as much.   And today it has been almost all 740.  Their logo also lists 740 first. I think most people will still know the 740 frequency much more than 96.7.  Besides with the internet, frequencies are becoming less important.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 13, 2021 11:40 pm)

January 8, 2021 12:06 pm  #8

The station is also similar to Jewel Radio in terms of playlist at times.  

January 8, 2021 12:22 pm  #9

This on their home page. I honestly can't recall any other radio station posting something about their range to their site. 

January 8, 2021 3:07 pm  #10

I find AM 740 is one of those few stations where the announcers talk to the listener not at them.

January 8, 2021 5:16 pm  #11

The station has posted a news report about their own anniversary. 

Christine Ross Report

January 8, 2021 5:54 pm  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

Coincidentally, Moses is currently 79 years old.