sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2020 9:59 pm  #1

Being Frank - Season 10

I know this is important to some people on this board. Season 10 of Being Frank begins on CHCH at 11:30 pm Friday night. One of the guests is Eddie Shack. Who could have guessed the show isn't live?

November 6, 2020 10:14 pm  #2

Re: Being Frank - Season 10

November 6, 2020 10:22 pm  #3

will there be live US election results and analysis ?

November 6, 2020 10:36 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

November 12, 2020 9:34 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

This show is truly a steaming pile.

November 13, 2020 2:05 am  #6

i have to give the guy credit for coming up with the money to pay for all of his vanity projects.

November 13, 2020 3:18 am  #7

Big Doug wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

This show is truly a steaming pile.

If it wasn't for this board, nobody would even know about it, or him, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

November 13, 2020 11:14 am  #8

the original hank wrote:

i have to give the guy credit for coming up with the money to pay for all of his vanity projects.

Frank's money was murdered 

https://outline.com/YmqZ8

the emails between father and son reveal an ongoing sore point between them: Barry’s long-standing friendship and business relationship with Frank D’Angelo, a Toronto businessman who with Barry’s help had built several food and beverage-related businesses over the years, all under the heading of “D’Angelo Brands.”D’Angelo was also making movies and Barry Sherman was his funder and co-executive producer

In an exchange that focuses on Barry’s ongoing financial support of D’Angelo, Jonathon writes to his father on April 28, 2015, with the subject heading “explain it to me.”

“You said ‘it’s not so simple,’ Can you explain it to me? I’m bright and educated. If you explain it to me I will try and understand,” Jonathon writes

.Barry shoots back one minute later, “Explain exactly what?”

Jonathon replies, asking how his father determines “that it is worthwhile to invest more money with Frank despite year after year of losses. What are you seeing that everyone else is missing?”

Jonathon alleges in the emails that his father has over the years given D’Angelo millions of dollars — Jonathon puts the figure at $250 million over 15 years — with little to show for it.

In an interview this week, D’Angelo acknowledged that Barry Sherman financed many of his businesses, but it is “ridiculous to say he gave me $250 million. That is absolutely, unequivocally wrong.”

D’Angelo said “Barry was the best partner I ever had.” In addition to their business interests in producing products under such brands as Steelback Brewery in the early 2000s, and more recently AriZona Beverages, D’Angelo said they were hoping to strike it rich in film. “Barry understood exactly what our plan was. The plan was to make one movie that would explode.”

Last edited by grilled.cheese (November 13, 2020 11:17 am)

November 13, 2020 12:08 pm  #9

I used to do pick up and  deliveries of Steelback beer and the others brewed at the distillery which was located just outside the main entrance to the Bruce Nuclear facility. I still possess a Steelback ballcap that was given to me back at that time. If there is ever a museum opened to honour the accomplishments of the one and only Frank D. , I will be happy to donate it. 

Last edited by mic'em (November 13, 2020 12:11 pm)

November 13, 2020 12:54 pm  #10

mic'em wrote:

I used to do pick up and  deliveries of Steelback beer and the others brewed at the distillery which was located just outside the main entrance to the Bruce Nuclear facility. I still possess a Steelback ballcap that was given to me back at that time. If there is ever a museum opened to honour the accomplishments of the one and only Frank D. , I will be happy to donate it. 

https://www.canadianbusiness.com/lifestyle/the-ode-steelback-brewery/

The mystery of how Steelback survived for so long baffled many. Late in 2007, it was resolved, when D’Angelo abruptly announced he’d sold his stake in D’Angelo Brands and Steelback to Barry Sherman, owner of generic drugmaker Apotex. Sherman installed his son Jonathon, a recent university graduate, in the executive suite; D’Angelo was to remain Steelback’s chairman and public face.

It later emerged that one of Sherman’s companies, Wasanda Enterprises, had bankrolled D’Angelo’s companies for years, and was now owed more than $100 million. Wasanda tipped D’Angelo’s companies into court-supervised bankruptcy protection, and the Shermans gained control of Steelback in 2008 after paying $8 million. At this point, D’Angelo departed entirely.

The Shermans quickly distanced themselves from their former partner, blaming him publicly for overspending on advertising and admitting to past inconsistencies in beer quality.

Last edited by grilled.cheese (November 13, 2020 12:55 pm)

November 13, 2020 3:14 pm  #11

grilled cheese wrote:

“Barry understood exactly what our plan was. The plan was to make one movie that would explode.”

They've all bombed so I guess Frank was on to something. 

Last edited by Hansa (November 13, 2020 3:14 pm)

November 13, 2020 7:53 pm  #12

Appreciate grilled.cheese' factual summation. 

While not a "Frank fan",  I learned a lot that I never knew,  and that is always a good thing.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 14, 2020 1:36 am)

November 13, 2020 8:19 pm  #13

Media Observer wrote:

Appreciate grilled cheese' factual summation. 

While not a "Frank fan",  I learned a lot that I never knew,  and that is always a good thing.

Have a great day, on me.  I got your back. (A favourite saying of Frank)

November 14, 2020 1:38 am  #14

grilled.cheese wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

Appreciate grilled cheese' factual summation. 

Have a great day, on me.  I got your back. (A favourite saying of Frank)

👍

November 14, 2020 1:58 pm  #15

More background. Frank was accused of sexual assault by a friend’s daughter, and though he wasn’t convicted, the judge said Frank was “probably guilty.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/judge-says-former-brewery-owner-probably-guilty-of-sexual-assault-but-acquits-him-1.830045

November 14, 2020 5:27 pm  #16

Holliday wrote:

More background. Frank was accused of sexual assault by a friend’s daughter, and though he wasn’t convicted, the judge said Frank was “probably guilty.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/judge-says-former-brewery-owner-probably-guilty-of-sexual-assault-but-acquits-him-1.830045

The cop involved with D'Angelo's case was charged with obstruction of justice

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/businessman-d-angelo-charged-with-obstruction-in-widening-opp-investigation-1.830043

and later on was thought to have mafia ties

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/opp-link-veteran-sergeant-to-top-mafia-boss/article1201742/

November 14, 2020 6:10 pm  #17

Sounds like a great idea for a movie.  https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/grin.png

November 14, 2020 7:11 pm  #18

Peter the K wrote:

Sounds like a great idea for a movie.  https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/grin.png