sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2020 11:39 am  #1

Money (always) talks

OTTAWA, April 8, 2020 /CNW/ - The Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) is disturbed to hear from journalists who say their stories are being vetted to ensure advertisers are kept happy.

While the CAJ cannot confirm the practice is widespread, several journalists have reported that their news stories are being reviewed to ensure they do not contain anything that would offend the business community, in the interest of preventing ad losses.

Sales staff have also reportedly offered favourable coverage as incentives for advertising packages.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/newsrooms-must-not-compromise-journalistic-independence-for-advertisers-caj-831282706.html?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_4_2_2020_16_32_COPY_01)&mc_cid=2ae3a4664c&mc_eid=8f5abb207f

Last edited by Johnny B (April 9, 2020 11:40 am)

April 9, 2020 12:17 pm  #2

Re: Money (always) talks

Johnny B wrote:

OTTAWA, April 8, 2020 /CNW/ - The Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) is disturbed to hear from journalists who say their stories are being vetted to ensure advertisers are kept happy.

While the CAJ cannot confirm the practice is widespread, several journalists have reported that their news stories are being reviewed to ensure they do not contain anything that would offend the business community, in the interest of preventing ad losses.

Sales staff have also reportedly offered favourable coverage as incentives for advertising packages.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/newsrooms-must-not-compromise-journalistic-independence-for-advertisers-caj-831282706.html?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_4_2_2020_16_32_COPY_01)&mc_cid=2ae3a4664c&mc_eid=8f5abb207f

Happens all the time where I work, and there's nothing that anyone can do about it, because the boss expects our news coverage to please only our advertisers and potential advertisers, and nobody has the balls to stand up to the boss and speak their mind - they're afraid of how the boss (a known bully) might react, which could be anything from a loud, profanity-laced tirade to firing the person for insubordination.

On numerous occasions I've overheard seasoned salespeople offer news coverage as part of an ad buy, and the boss has absolutely no problem with this happening.  On almost any given day, with or without COVID-19, the station runs at least one "news story" about something happening at a local business - things that are not newsworthy under any circumstances.  Things like a new menu at a restaurant, or some random business donating some money to a local cause, or whatever.

The boss needs to be fully aware of, and fully accept and abide by, Clause 5 of the CAB Code of Ethics, specifically this part of it: "News shall not...be formulated on the basis of the beliefs, opinions or desires of management..." But the boss will likely say that this Code does not apply at this station because management does not subscribe to/believe in it.

Regarding potentially offending news stories, such as a restaurant/bar having its liquor licence suspended, we have had complaints from the affected business(es), and our response is always the same: "If you don't want to be in the news, don't be the news."  If the restaurant/bar is losing money/patronage because of our news story, that's not our fault.

To sum up, managers and salespeople need to keep their noses out of the nation's radio and television newsrooms and stop telling the reporters etc. what to report on.

April 9, 2020 1:46 pm  #3

I've been impressed by the way CBC's Marketplace goes after bad service providers, unethical companies and outright crooks, regardless of how big or small the companies are.

I've often said to Mrs. Dial Twister that it's a wonder that the CBC has any advertisers. 

P.S. And, yes, I consider Marketplace to be a form of "news".

April 9, 2020 3:44 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

I've been impressed by the way CBC's Marketplace goes after bad service providers, unethical companies and outright crooks, regardless of how big or small the companies are.

I've often said to Mrs. Dial Twister that it's a wonder that the CBC has any advertisers. 

P.S. And, yes, I consider Marketplace to be a form of "news".

Yes I was really surprised that CBC's new cooking show Fridge Wars premiered about a week after Marketplace lambasted pretty much all new appliance makers with their report that basically all of them are making junk that doesn't last and make repairs so expensive and difficult  that they really just want you to buy a new fridge or stove every 7-10 years.  Two of the main sponsors of Fridge Wars are Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid.

I take Forward Powers comments to heart, too bad he works for a clown that sounds like he/she should be brought down to earth or demoted. Smaller companies tend to be more boosters of community and business in general than larger media in larger markets. Also I noticed radio seems to have a tighter relationship with many advertisers than newspapers. I always thought it was because radio is more personality oriented, more so than newspapers. 

However, I have been on the other side where some news people would make a point to never ever cover anything an  advertiser did in the community but always opted for the little mom and pops that never advertise and treat their business more like a hobby rather than a real enterprise. 

This is fine to a point, but after a while it becomes too predictable and almost looks like an agenda to thumb your nose at advertisers. I have worked with a few newspeople who dislike salespeople and advertising in general, don't believe in it, and think that the public is brainwashed by advertising.  I find this to be arrogant and amusing at the same time.  It also tells me they don't have a clue what they are talking about and they assume that the average person is stupid.

I don't believe newspeople are holier than thou and should be challenged if they are wrong.  And they do get things wrong sometimes.  Generally, I always had a great relationship with any news department where I worked and didn't have many issues. If a story needs to be critical make sure you have your FACTS straight and leave your bias at the door.  Some news people don't do this, or still feel the need to say something negative all in the guise of being balanced.  

April 10, 2020 9:58 pm  #5

One similar example is Pat Foran on CFTO/CTV Toronto never airing a Consumer Alert segment about Bell phone/TV/internet service...he could do at least one per week...difference is that Bell owns the station and pays his salary as opposed to being an advertiser...it would cost him his job...

April 11, 2020 6:44 am  #6

With this first post, is it any wonder CBC radio does so well in the ratings?