sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2020 12:15 am  #31

Re: Georgina and Grimsby Get New FM Stations

Why wait? Show early enthusiasm for the new station - if no suggestions come forth here for names or positions, my instinct would be to try and see if they have anyone along the lines of station manager, program director. I believe the company is Durham. If you're local to Grimsby and have a diploma, that may be more 'in' than they have already. One caveat is they may take awhile to get to air. But then again they may be well on their way. Maybe you can even come up with an idea to hasten their arrival. I hope you're doing something in the meantime to build a journalism and / or on-air portfolio. Even if you have to volunteer at a community / campus station or slog it with a local weekly (as close as possible to your target area). I started journalism at a weekly in Paris ON (it's since closed). That was a blast - had a great time. Pay wasn't great but learned a helluva lot and built my portfolio for the next level.

January 13, 2020 9:07 am  #32

The technical changes for the Georgina station where approved last October.
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-352.htm
'Georgina Radio' has a FB web site. You can contact them through that:
https://www.facebook.com/Georgina-Radio-937FM-345463746229976/
They say they will be on the air this spring.

January 13, 2020 10:56 am  #33

Speaking on oldies on FM I remember (although this was only a show program)  Saturday Night Oldies on CHFI back in the day.  When up north, CKLP Parry Sound had Solid Gold Saturday Night.

This is a "niche" format and dont know if a station these days would survive playing just that.  Id listen however! 

January 13, 2020 1:48 pm  #34

markow202 wrote:

Speaking on oldies on FM I remember (although this was only a show program)  Saturday Night Oldies on CHFI back in the day.  

"Dazzling" Don Daynard.  

First with "Lookin' Back" at CKFM and then "Saturday Night Oldies" at CHFI;  his work was the gold standard for an Oldies show.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/lookin-back.html

Last edited by Media Observer (January 13, 2020 4:09 pm)

January 13, 2020 6:30 pm  #35

markow202 wrote:

Speaking on oldies on FM I remember (although this was only a show program)  Saturday Night Oldies on CHFI back in the day.  When up north, CKLP Parry Sound had Solid Gold Saturday Night.

This is a "niche" format and dont know if a station these days would survive playing just that.  Id listen however! 

The CHFI show lives on as Coop's Classics, focusing about 50/50 on 70s and 80s (which works out to be the same as playing 50s and 60s in the 90s) There's a handful of 60s tunes too, but they tend to be songs that had a second life in a different decade -- like this week they played "Stand by Me," which doubles as an 80s song.

January 14, 2020 12:22 pm  #36

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

The CHFI show lives on as Coop's Classics, focusing about 50/50 on 70s and 80s (which works out to be the same as playing 50s and 60s in the 90s) There's a handful of 60s tunes too, but they tend to be songs that had a second life in a different decade -- like this week they played "Stand by Me," which doubles as an 80s song.

Its a good show, most of it is 80s and most of the playlist can be heard daily on Boom 973

January 14, 2020 7:29 pm  #37

The show this past weekend was almost exactly split between 70s and 80s. but yes, it sounds a lot like Boom.

January 14, 2020 10:26 pm  #38

Brad wrote:

Who can I contact about an on-air job with the Grimsby station? I have a diploma in Journalism, and would be interested in News or an announcer shift.

Hey Brad - the guy to call is Steve Kassay. While it may be a while ( long while ) before they are on the air call Steve to at least say hello. He is a very nice guy and can be very helpful. He is VP Programming at Durham. 

Last edited by Marsden (January 14, 2020 10:27 pm)