sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2018 11:11 am  #1

Toronto Mike's hidden podcast

Toronto Mike released a hidden podcast, only available to subscribers (not through his site and he's not advertising it).

He is rebutting recent comments Dean Blundell made against him. 

December 20, 2018 12:45 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Mike's hidden podcast

grilled.cheese wrote:

Toronto Mike released a hidden podcast, only available to subscribers (not through his site and he's not advertising it).

Why would he bother if he's going to "hide" it?

December 20, 2018 1:36 pm  #3

Hopefully he will see this post and respond.

December 20, 2018 1:43 pm  #4

mike marshall wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I believe it premium content for subscribers.  But I'll let Mike answer that.  I'm just speculating

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 20, 2018 3:05 pm  #5

It's not at an extra cost.  It's just made available to people who subscribe to his steam through a podcast service or app.

Deaner was talking smack about Mikey and 99% of it was baseless. 

December 20, 2018 3:50 pm  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

Hopefully he will see this post and respond.

It's certainly not hidden, because it's been pushed to everyone who subscribes to my podcast. It's just unpromoted, in that I'm not tweeting about it or writing about it on the blog.

It's also without a number because it might disappear into the abyss at any time.

December 20, 2018 3:52 pm  #7

Jody Thornton wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I believe it premium content for subscribers.  But I'll let Mike answer that.  I'm just speculating

It's not premium content. Subscribing to Toronto Mike'd in Apple, Google, Spotify, Stitcher or wherever is completely free.

Anyone can subscribe here.

Last edited by torontomike (December 20, 2018 4:18 pm)

December 21, 2018 11:40 pm  #8

Who the hell is Toronto Mike and why should I care?

December 22, 2018 12:59 am  #9

Doug Thompson wrote:

December 22, 2018 8:27 am  #10

Doug Thompson wrote:

Feel free to not care.

December 22, 2018 10:13 am  #11

Thank you, I absolutely don't care who ro what you are.

December 22, 2018 10:23 am  #12

Doug Thompson wrote:

I absolutely don't care who ro what you are.

who ro what are U?

December 22, 2018 10:24 am  #13

Doug Thompson wrote:

Thank you, I absolutely don't care who ro what you are.

You sound delightful.

December 22, 2018 11:05 am  #14

Prod Guy wrote:

1. Doug used to be a famous radio producer.
2. People claim he is or was a nice guy.
Proof exists of point 1.

It seems Doug Thompson will not be added to this list of notable guests.

December 22, 2018 11:07 am  #15

1. Doug used to be a famous radio producer.
2. People claim he is or was a nice guy.
Proof exists of point 1.

3. Toronto Mike has been doing a podcast featuring interesting  interviews with radio people for a number of years, and they have been discussed many times on this board.

Now you know who each other are.

December 22, 2018 12:20 pm  #16

torontomike wrote:

That's too bad, Mike. Doug's got a track record a mile long. Here's just a taste:
http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/dougt.html

Last edited by mike marshall (December 22, 2018 12:28 pm)

December 22, 2018 12:34 pm  #17

Why not just post this "hidden podcast" and be done with it. 

December 22, 2018 12:53 pm  #18

It's not hidden.  It's in the feed.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/toronto-miked-podcast/id557260245?mt=2
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/toronto-mike-2/toronto-miked-podcast
https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy/Toronto-Miked-Podcast-p583633/
https://open.spotify.com/show/4YmMKoMms5yEp6nvsKibeL

I guess no one knows how podcasts work.  You can go to any one of these and subscribe.  If that's too hard you go can go to one of them and hit play.  That's the arrow that looks like a play button.  Not hidden.  Not complicated.  Get your grandchildren to show you if you're still confused.  Holy cow, people.

December 22, 2018 1:00 pm  #19

Prod Guy wrote:

I guess no one knows how podcasts work.

It can be confusing. I hear people all the time incorrectly referring to recorded episodic content played off a webpage as a podcast. As a very early adopter and now publisher of podcasts, the distinction I make is that in order to be a podcast, the following criteria must be met:

1. The content being created is episodic - to the extent that a subscription based distribution model makes sense.
2. The de facto mechanism for podcast subscription and resultant hosting and distribution is RSS - Really Simple Syndication adhering to the XML standards supporting podcasts.

Any other means of hosting the content over and above the subscription mechanism is not a podcast. It may contain the podcast content, but, in the absence of item #2 above, it is not by definition a podcast.

A content creator may have business (marketing) reasons for creating new channels to distribute content. As I understand the use case under debate here, I don't comprehend the business benefits to segregate content. That's just me though. Obviously torontomike has done quite well juding from his guest list.

There are so many truly accomplished radio people on this board. I'm sure Mike would agree, impressive as it is, his guest list is by no means an exhaustive list of all our best radio and TV people in this market.

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (December 22, 2018 1:14 pm)

December 22, 2018 1:08 pm  #20

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

I guess no one knows how podcasts work.

It can be confusing. I hear people all the time incorrectly referring to recorded episodic content played off a webpage as a podcast. As a very early adopter and now publisher of podcasts, the distinction I make is that in order to be a podcast, the following criteria must be met:

1. The content being created is episodic - to the extent that a subscription based distribution model makes sense.
2. The de facto mechanism for podcast subscription and resultant hosting and distribution is RSS - Really Simple Syndication adhering to the XML standards supporting podcasts.

Any other means of hosting the content over and above the subscription mechanism is not a podcast. It may contain the podcast content, but, in the absence of item #2 above, it is not by definition a podcast.

A content creator may have business (marketing) reasons for creating new channels to distribute content. As I understand the use case under debate here, I don't comprehend the business benefits to segregate content. That's just me though. Obviously torontomike has done quite well juding from his guest list.

If he didn't also post it to a website no one here would know how to access it.  He knows his audience, it seems.

December 22, 2018 3:37 pm  #21

mike marshall wrote:

torontomike wrote:

That's too bad, Mike. Doug's got a track record a mile long. Here's just a taste:
http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/dougt.html

Being accomplished & being "a dick" aren't mutually exclusive.

I second TorontoMike's motion.

December 22, 2018 7:55 pm  #22

All out in the open now on TOM's home page:

When Dean Blundell.. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 22, 2018 10:11 pm  #24

So confused. Who's the bad guy here?

December 23, 2018 12:23 am  #25

Fitz wrote:

All out in the open now on TOM's home page:

When Dean Blundell.. 

Thank you 

December 23, 2018 2:05 am  #26

Chrisphen wrote:

So confused. Who's the bad guy here?

I know my pick. Getting mad simply because someone exists is a little childish. 

Toronto Mike, please make friends and interview him. I can hardly wait to take a drink each time he name drops John Candy.

December 23, 2018 8:59 am  #27

I find much of this thread really sad. It's probably because I have so much respect for both of the gentlemen now at loggerheads with each other.

Toronto Mike has interviewed a ton of some of the biggest names in local radio and revealed a lot more about them than any of us ever knew. And while he does have some limited sponsorship, I suspect he's always done it out of his admiration of the talents he talks to. The fact he's managed to get so many down in that infamous "basement" is a tribute to what a fan he is of those great on-air talents.

And Doug Thompson is one of the most talented and accomplished radio producers not only in Canada but likely in the world. He may not have the profile of say, a Jay Nelson or a Bob McAdorey, but if you have fond memories of the old CHUM in its 60s and 70s heyday, he deserves some of the credit for its legendary sound. He's produced some of the best rock radio documentaries ever made and his work stands the test of time. 

I hope these two guys can somehow work it out because I have a lot of time and admiration for both of them.   

December 23, 2018 10:37 am  #28

RadioActive wrote:

I hope these two guys can somehow work it out because I have a lot of time and admiration for both of them.   

And, in the spirit of the season, I offer a hearty Amen.

December 23, 2018 10:50 am  #29

RadioActive wrote:

Guys, this is a pretty one-sided "feud". I only learned Doug Thompson existed when he posted here 24 hours ago that he doesn't care who or what I am. Not sure where that came from... I didn't even start this thread. He just took a seemingly random shot at me because I exist.

December 23, 2018 2:30 pm  #30

RadioActive wrote:

I find much of this thread really sad. It's probably because I have so much respect for both of the gentlemen now at loggerheads with each other.

Toronto Mike has interviewed a ton of some of the biggest names in local radio and revealed a lot more about them than any of us ever knew. And while he does have some limited sponsorship, I suspect he's always done it out of his admiration of the talents he talks to. The fact he's managed to get so many down in that infamous "basement" is a tribute to what a fan he is of those great on-air talents.

And Doug Thompson is one of the most talented and accomplished radio producers not only in Canada but likely in the world. He may not have the profile of say, a Jay Nelson or a Bob McAdorey, but if you have fond memories of the old CHUM in its 60s and 70s heyday, he deserves some of the credit for its legendary sound. He's produced some of the best rock radio documentaries ever made and his work stands the test of time. 

I do not know Toronto Mike personally, but I have been friends with Doug Thompson for many years. He has been extremely supportive of Rock Radio Scrapbook with countless donations of airchecks and pics from the CHUM vault. It would be difficult to find someone with more passion for radio, and CHUM in particular, and his generosity in sharing these artifacts is unsurpassed. His CHUM Tribute Site is one of the most in-depth looks at a vintage Top 40 radio station you will find anywhere - and all the material on it comes from Doug via the CHUM archives. For Doug, it's all a labour of love - a love of radio history.

http://chumtribute.ca

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 23, 2018 2:32 pm)

"The radio craze ... will soon fade." - Thomas Edison, 1922