sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2016 10:34 am  #1

WNED Buffalo

Since the WNY in SOWNY stands for Western New York, I'd like to make a programming comment.  This Friday night at midnight is the program Austin City Limits.  As I follow PBS stations I was excited to see that Paul Simon will be the guest this week for the opening of a new season.  Yay!  Oh Wait.  We're talking about WNED here.  I quickly went to tape the hour and they have The Alabama Shakes sloted in that time slot.  This is not the first time they have done this.  

If I want to see Paul Simon, I have to subscribe to channel 163 Detroit; which is not in HD.  The later part doesn't really matter; but I'm so tired of WNED not falling in line with the PBS schedule.  I tried calling their Toronto office this morning; but I keep getting a recording.  I once called WNED themselves a few years back and got the infamous Goldie.

September 29, 2016 11:52 am  #2

Re: WNED Buffalo

It is possible that the show episode will air at a latter date on WNED...  maybe next week.  Still worth making the call to them to inquire further

I checked the WXXI Rochester schedule, and they carry Austin City Limits on Saturday at midnight (technically Sunday morning at 12am)  WXXI does not have an episode description in their online schedule for the airing of Austin City Limits this weekend.

(I'm assuming that you are currently viewing WNED via an OTA antennae)

September 29, 2016 1:40 pm  #3

Viewing on Rogers.

September 29, 2016 2:44 pm  #4

John D said:

>> If I want to see Paul Simon, I have to subscribe to channel 163 Detroit; which is not in HD. <<

PBS in Detroit (WTVS) is an HD station. 715 on Cogeco. KCTS in Seattle, 810 on Cogeco,, is, too.

Rogers has KCTS in HD. 525. 

10/08/2016 - Paul Simon - WNED-TV (Friday night at midnight) 

September 29, 2016 5:09 pm  #5

Mike, 525 for me on Rogers in Scarborough is Buffalo WNED.  I'll look for KCTS.  Thanks.  Also WTVS doesn't have an HD in front of it on the channel listing.

September 29, 2016 5:18 pm  #6

Mike.  Just found KCTS.  ITS ON 532 in Scarborough; but can't find Austin City Limits.  Since its on the west coast, I first looked at midnight then 3 am. I'll keep looking.

September 29, 2016 5:29 pm  #7

Don't want to bore people anymore Mike; but 163 Detroit here is not in HD.  KCTS doesn't appear to carry Austin City Limits.  Thanks again.  I guess Oakville is much more progressive 😜

September 29, 2016 5:44 pm  #8

No need to wait, John.
These were posted earlier today:

September 29, 2016 7:20 pm  #9

Even WNED got into the act.

"The Werewolf" from Paul Simon's new album "Stranger to Stranger".
http://video.wned.org/video/2365847797/

And, from their online TV Schedule...
Austin City Limits
Paul Simon #4201
Saturday, October 8, 12:00 am on WNED-TV
Duration: 0:56:46
Description: Savor a career-spanning set from Paul Simon. The singer/songwriter legend performs his
classics, songs from Graceland, Simon & Garfunkel tunes and tracks from his latest LP, Stranger to
Stranger. [HD] [CC]

Last edited by Dial Twister (September 29, 2016 7:21 pm)

September 29, 2016 7:33 pm  #10

Thank you Dial Twister!!!

September 29, 2016 11:55 pm  #11

I bet you can keep a DVD copy for your own private collection if the pledge is right...
"Television worth paying for..."
(Do they still say that? lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2016 1:57 pm  #12

Got a nice call from Donna at WNED this morning.  She explained the reason why they were a late behind.  I thanked her and life moves on.

October 21, 2016 9:40 am  #13

John D wrote:

Since the WNY in SOWNY stands for Western New York, I'd like to make a programming comment.  This Friday night at midnight is the program Austin City Limits.  As I follow PBS stations I was excited to see that Paul Simon will be the guest this week for the opening of a new season.  Yay!  Oh Wait.  We're talking about WNED here.  I quickly went to tape the hour and they have The Alabama Shakes sloted in that time slot.  This is not the first time they have done this.  

If I want to see Paul Simon, I have to subscribe to channel 163 Detroit; which is not in HD.  The later part doesn't really matter; but I'm so tired of WNED not falling in line with the PBS schedule.  I tried calling their Toronto office this morning; but I keep getting a recording.  I once called WNED themselves a few years back and got the infamous Goldie.

This may help people like John, who have long been frustrated by WNED's penchant for airing the PBS schedule out of pattern:

WNED has heard viewers' complaints and is doing something about it

The article also notes there will soon be a new digital channel for those with an antenna - the return of 17.3 in February, which will be the national feed of PBS Kids, a station that's exactly what the title implies.

And while I'm on the subject of WNED, here's a viewer alert for those into TV history. On Tuesday night, the Buffalo outlet is airing an American Masters focusing on producer Normal Lear, the man who can arguably be said to have changed American TV forever with such innovative shows as "All In The Family," "Maude," "Good Times," "Sanford & Son" and more. The American Masters series is generally excellent, so it's worth a look. Airs at 9 PM, with a repeat at midnight on October 27th.  

Last edited by RadioActive (October 21, 2016 9:41 am)

October 21, 2016 12:28 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

This may help people like John, who have long been frustrated by WNED's penchant for airing the PBS schedule out of pattern:

WNED has heard viewers' complaints and is doing something about it

The article also notes there will soon be a new digital channel for those with an antenna - the return of 17.3 in February, which will be the national feed of PBS Kids, a station that's exactly what the title implies.

And while I'm on the subject of WNED, here's a viewer alert for those into TV history. On Tuesday night, the Buffalo outlet is airing an American Masters focusing on producer Normal Lear, the man who can arguably be said to have changed American TV forever with such innovative shows as "All In The Family," "Maude," "Good Times," "Sanford & Son" and more. The American Masters series is generally excellent, so it's worth a look. Airs at 9 PM, with a repeat at midnight on October 27th.  

That's terrific news.  My wife gets annoyed that she can never find her shows on WNED.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.