sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2023 10:59 am  #1

The Inevitable: AI-Generated Weather Forecasts For Radio Stations

An artificial intelligence program is being touted to generate hourly weather forecasts for any radio stations willing to pay for the privilege. It automatically sources U.S. and Canadian weather services (like Environment Canada) then uses an A.I-made voice and even its own music bed to not only read the prediction, but also do a quick "brought to you by" commercial tag. 

And it's fairly cheap, starting as low as $199 a month for the service. I know a guy who does weather for radio stations across Canada. He's not going to like this!

So what does it sound like? You can hear samples, including two from Canada, by scrolling down the page here. One problem that might be an issue: none of them provide any current temperature or conditions. It's just a generic "here's what to expect today." And what happens in an emergency, like a tornado or thunderstorm warning that crops up suddenly? 

This may be the future of forecasting but frankly, I don't think I like the way the wind is blowing! 

June 12, 2023 11:03 am  #2

Re: The Inevitable: AI-Generated Weather Forecasts For Radio Stations

RadioActive wrote:

One problem that might be an issue: none of them provide any current temperature or conditions. It's just a generic "here's what to expect today." And what happens in an emergency, like a tornado or thunderstorm warning that crops up suddenly?

There are fewer and fewer radio stations giving current conditions in their Memorex'd weather reports, and as for emergencies, said stations will lean on Pelmorex and their blue AlertReady boxes (Sage Digital ENDEC units) to disseminate those warnings.

June 12, 2023 11:14 am  #3

It's what you'd expect I guess.  A grammatically correct announcement giving bare bones info with no individuality to it.
What would the A-I say about the horrible smoke hazard we had last week?  Would it be able to inject human emotion into it no.
But if that is good enough for listeners then they get what they will tolerate.
What's next? A-I announcements from hospitals about the condition about your loved ones?
"This is the General hospital. This is to inform you your mother has passed away. Please call the following number for details about autopsies, cause of death and time.
You will be informed on when you can recover the body of the deceased.
Thank you and have a nice day."

Last edited by newsguy1 (June 12, 2023 11:15 am)

June 12, 2023 11:20 am  #4

But it's cheap. No hiring anyone, no sick leave, no salary negotiations, no benefits. That's catnip for station owners, especially the Bell, Rogers & Audacys of the world. The bottom line is always - well - the bottom line. 

June 12, 2023 12:57 pm  #5

I realize these were just demos but know your market.  The Winnipeg sample had an insert for Walgreens.  Unless I'm mistaken Walgreens does not have a presence in Canada.  Maybe not an AI fail but the people creating the demos obviously don't know the marker.
The copy sounded stiff, rather then saying tonight or tomorrow the AI used next to space each weather segment.  No human would phrase it that way.

June 12, 2023 8:21 pm  #6

LOSat wrote:

I realize these were just demos but know your market.  The Winnipeg sample had an insert for Walgreens.  Unless I'm mistaken Walgreens does not have a presence in Canada.  Maybe not an AI fail but the people creating the demos obviously don't know the marker.
The copy sounded stiff, rather then saying tonight or tomorrow the AI used next to space each weather segment.  No human would phrase it that way.

Just give it time.  As AI perfects itself, listeners will get used to it, and won't care.  Weather, sports scores,  and ... ahem ... traffic will work fine with this.  I'd imagine a number of spots would suit this application just fine. 

Cripes!  I'm so glad that I got out when I did.  Soon, there will be very little to miss.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton