sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2016 11:05 pm  #1

You're now entering the Joel North Spin Zone..

[Via The Star]

ST. JOHN’S, N.L.—A former Newfoundland radio station announcer is defending a tweet he sent that said a young woman would get more online viewers if she showed herself stripping rather than playing video games.

Joel North released a 10-minute podcast on Monday evening saying he’s not going to apologize because there is nothing offensive about being a stripper.

He says strippers are often self-employed entrepreneurs who are funding their education and he will not apologize because it would be an insult to female strippers.

The original tweet that drew criticism was directed at a woman last week who had invited her followers to watch a live stream of her playing a video game.

North, then an announcer for Coast 101.1 in St. John’s, responded: “You’d get more viewers if you were stripping.”

The woman dismissed the comment, but a growing social media backlash included criticism from the St. John’s Status of Women Council / Women’s Centre.

The general manager of Coast 101.1 said Saturday in an open letter the tweet was inappropriate and the staff member who sent it was “no longer an employee” of the station.

In his podcast, North said he resigned because he felt the social media criticism of him was damaging the station.

He also said, “the idea of somebody losing their entire livelihood over a harmless joke sets a very dangerous precedent. Free speech is something we all need to fight for.”

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 27, 2016 11:15 pm  #2

Re: You're now entering the Joel North Spin Zone..

It's a pity they let him quit.  He says the station offered him an option to remain on staff but he turned it down.  I believe he made a mistake.  This announcement should have been made on air, and everyone move on.

He keeps contradicting himself during the video, understandably feeling victimized, talking about fighting back against what was nothing more than a dumb 'shoot from the lip' line, meanwhile explaining how stripping is an athletic and demanding physical profession with nothing to be ashamed of, but if that's the case, his comment had nothing to do with his admitted 'sense of humor' which is why he posted the tweet in the first place.  

Doesn't matter, in the end it all comes down to the fact that he's the one who quit. 

The only people who benefit from his resignation are the self righteous social media crusader, my shit doesn't smell, holier than thou, pain in the ass gang, who will now be feeling vindicated, safely and anonymously behind their keyboards.   It was a rookie mistake, I wish he hadn't quit and I hope he gets another chance soon.  To be honest, he comes across well and this video will hopefully work in his favour.

He may have to use a pseudonym for the first 14.5 minutes of his new gig though.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 28, 2016 1:57 am  #3

Then there's the clown out here on the west coast who asked the BC Premier whether she was a cougar or something else I can't remember.
I don't like the Premier one bit but show some respect.
He's still working, unfortunately at what used to be the top station in BC, now just an "also ran" in the listener category that counts.

September 28, 2016 5:52 pm  #4

ig wrote:

It's a pity they let him quit.  He says the station offered him an option to remain on staff but he turned it down.  I believe he made a mistake.  This announcement should have been made on air, and everyone move on.

He keeps contradicting himself during the video, understandably feeling victimized, talking about fighting back against what was nothing more than a dumb 'shoot from the lip' line, meanwhile explaining how stripping is an athletic and demanding physical profession with nothing to be ashamed of, but if that's the case, his comment had nothing to do with his admitted 'sense of humor' which is why he posted the tweet in the first place.  

Doesn't matter, in the end it all comes down to the fact that he's the one who quit. 

The only people who benefit from his resignation are the self righteous social media crusader, my shit doesn't smell, holier than thou, pain in the ass gang, who will now be feeling vindicated, safely and anonymously behind their keyboards.   It was a rookie mistake, I wish he hadn't quit and I hope he gets another chance soon.  To be honest, he comes across well and this video will hopefully work in his favour.

He may have to use a pseudonym for the first 14.5 minutes of his new gig though.

^^^THIS^^^
I'm sick to death of this social media takeover where a man can't have any balls. That's right, I said BALLS.

Last edited by StevieB (September 28, 2016 5:53 pm)

I am Here, just not all there.