sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2016 1:51 pm  #1

Rogers to Buy Tillsonburg Broadcasting Company

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/rogers-media-signs-agreement-to-acquire-tillsonburg-broadcasting-company-limited-594970081.html

Rogers will add CKOT an easy listening station and
CJDL a country station, both based in Tillsonburg

Not that I listen to either really, but hopefully Rogers Engineering will do something with the awful mix or dynamic range on CKOT.  It is almost unlistenable with the way the audio is broadcast.

September 27, 2016 4:34 pm  #2

Re: Rogers to Buy Tillsonburg Broadcasting Company

End of an era in Tillsonburg...

I knew John Lamers  junior and a number of staff from the radio station...

I even had a job interview there back in about 1981 or so...

Got the job but the owner wanted me to promise that I wasn't using him as a stepping stone...that I wouldn't leave anytime soon...

And with those conditions I looked elsewhere...

September 27, 2016 5:43 pm  #3

unclefester wrote:

End of an era in Tillsonburg . . .  

my back still hurts when I hear that word

September 27, 2016 7:24 pm  #4

From the London Free Press, which notes this was one of the last of the family-owned stations in Ontario:

Tillsonburg radio stations bought by Rogers communications 

Interesting to note that Rogers is letting one of those family members remain as GM, although given the company's history, it remains to be seen how long that will last. - unless it was part of the purchasing agreement. The article also notes there are no plans to change the format at either station, which have remained the same for decades. We;ll see how long that lasts, too.

September 28, 2016 1:59 am  #5

Another one bites the dust.
Soon, the corpse will own every broadcasting outlet in Canada.

September 28, 2016 7:58 am  #6

While the technical quality of the Tillsonburg stations is sub standard, it is refreshing to hear LIVE announcers on evenings and weekends... I don't expect Rogers will allow that to continue. Expect format flips and firings once the agreed upon time frames have expired, maybe even studio moves to London (which seems to be their target market for Easy 101 at least) just like Corus did with CKDK Woodstock years ago. 

September 28, 2016 1:31 pm  #7

zed wrote:

maybe even studio moves to London (which seems to be their target market for Easy 101 at least) just like Corus did with CKDK Woodstock years ago. 

Would Ottawa's Rogers properties be any example? They bought the Smith falls stations...and look what happened there?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 28, 2016 8:38 pm  #8

CKOT FM 101.3 is one of the last local stations I listen to. You can hear a live announcer from 6:00 am to midnight and their morning show does not sound like a circus. CKOT is one of the few local stations (if any) that is not automated in the evening. You can get current road / weather / news on a Sunday night.

Not sure they'll target London any more than they already do. A few years ago they dropped power from 50 to 28kw (raising tower height) and the signal in north and west London is weaker; okay in the car, but lacking penetrating power in buildings and offices.

The format is tried and true; hopefully they will won't fix what isn't broken. Sad to see one less player in the business.

Is Bayshore next?

Last edited by darcyh (September 28, 2016 8:41 pm)