sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2023 11:01 am  #1

Will Windsor Pull A Calgary and Flip or Simulcast CKLW or CKWW to FM?

This topic came up on the Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard a couple of days ago.  I can't see it myself, but talk of these stations appear to still be of some interest in the Motor City.  Here is the thread from Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard..https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62294&sid=5a7b55dd2e3f27630b3aedfcd44e1774

Last edited by paterson1 (May 27, 2023 11:03 am)

May 27, 2023 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Will Windsor Pull A Calgary and Flip or Simulcast CKLW or CKWW to FM?

CKWW 100% no.

CKLW, maybe. The FM dial is saturated and the majority is of its listening it to Detroit stations. If they believe LW has a future, they’ll have to.

May 27, 2023 4:33 pm  #3

Re: Will Windsor Pull A Calgary and Flip or Simulcast CKLW or CKWW to FM?

Thanks to Ben Zonia on the Michigan board, who mentions this in reference to CKLW’s temporary
transmitter problem years back:

>> While CKLW soon returned to the air, as I recall, it operated with a 10000 watt backup transmitter for at least several weeks on 800. Since CKLW now focuses on just Windsor, rather than the large areas near Detroit and in Michigan and other nearby states like in The Big 8 era, listeners probably didn't notice much reduction where they listened. <<

During my first year at CK, we used to make a monthly midnight move to the recording studio, using
the backup for about three hours while engineering maintained the main transmitter and master
control. I always got a phone call from the Sunday night op at sister-station WRKO saying we were
booming in on reduced power to Boston. Wouldn’t have been surprised if there was at least one local
AM envious of the Big 8’s TWO signals.