sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2023 12:10 am  #1

Will Joe Bowen & Jim Ralph Be Calling Leaf Games On Radio Next Season?

The past week wasn't just the end of the Leafs' season. Turns out it was also the end of the five year agreement for the play-by-play radio services of Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph. And so far, neither TSN or Sportsnet have announced if they're willing to sign them again. 

Bowen noted the possible finale in his last sign-off

“Well, partner, 41 years of doing this — 3,550 games — and if this is the end of the line, it’s been a hell of a run for us,” Bowen said near the end of the broadcast on Friday night. “I’ve enjoyed every moment of it. Hopefully, we’ll be back next year, but we’re not sure of that yet.”

Bowen has been calling the action for Toronto since 1982. Ralph joined him in the booth in 1997. They've mostly been together ever since. 

Both are such iconic parts of hockey on the radio in Toronto, I would find it astounding if they aren't re-signed. Listener backlash would be overwhelming. But this is Bell & Rogers we're talking about, so there's always the chance that something strange could occur.  Hopefully, their talks won't go into overtime. Very little good seems to happen then. 

Will Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph return to the Leafs' booth? Sportsnet, TSN aren't saying yet
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://theathletic.com/4525370/2023/05/16/joe-bowen-jim-ralph-maple-leafs-sportsnet-tsn/

May 17, 2023 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Will Joe Bowen & Jim Ralph Be Calling Leaf Games On Radio Next Season?

It'll come down to money. The cost of what a new broadcast duo would want to be paid and where do they find them. Both companies have been proven to be sometimes less than skilled at mentoring young talent.

I hope Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph are back next season.

You can't put a price on the comforting sound of a beloved familiar veteran voice speaking to you from your radio. Unless you're Bell and Rogers. And Corus.

Last edited by betaylored (May 17, 2023 3:58 pm)

May 17, 2023 5:11 pm  #3

I don't want to take away from their legendary status as I love listening to hockey play by play on the radio and have listened to them call games for many amazing years......but it's 100%  time for them to retire and I wouldn't be surprised if their contract wasn't renewed. 

I don't feel listener backlash would be overwhelming.  This season, we opted to listen to our TV stream over the radio broadcast. 

41 years is incredible. And if they don't get a new contract, they should get a huge celebration, thank you and a big send off. 

May 17, 2023 5:21 pm  #4

Any idea who might take their place if it came to that? Maybe the p-b-p people from another NHL team? Someone from the minors who has experience? (Ben Wagner came from the Buffalo Bisons to call the Jays' games.)

It is hard to replace longtime icons, and sports fans get used to the people they grew up listening to. Nothing against Wagner, but to this day, when I hear the Blue Jay broadcasts on radio, I still find myself missing Jerry Howarth.   

May 17, 2023 9:04 pm  #5

rawkgurl wrote:

I don't want to take away from their legendary status as I love listening to hockey play by play on the radio and have listened to them call games for many amazing years......but it's 100%  time for them to retire and I wouldn't be surprised if their contract wasn't renewed. 

I don't feel listener backlash would be overwhelming.  This season, we opted to listen to our TV stream over the radio broadcast. 

41 years is incredible. And if they don't get a new contract, they should get a huge celebration, thank you and a big send off. 

I agree 100%. Best they bow-out on top.

When they started, radio was the definitive way to follow the games if you weren't there. A fraction of the games were on TV, and the TV was anchored to your home.

Today, all the games are on TV and most of us have TVs in our pockets.

Radio is a backup at this point.

May 17, 2023 10:40 pm  #6

Even as a life long Leafs fan, being honest, Danny Gallivan was my favourite hockey play-by-play announcer.

My #2 is Joe Bowen .. Joe & Harry Neale were a very entertaining duo.  While Gord Miller & Chris Cuthbert are very good, I'd still prefer Joe calling the games.