sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2023 11:36 pm  #1

Questions about car radio (SiriusXM & HD)

I’ve been renting a friend’s car the last few months.   I’m always curious as to a car’s sound system.   

Since I didn’t want to install my portable SiriusXM radio, I just moved my subscription to his car radio.  I don’t get all the channels (stations) on my friend’s car that I do on my portable SiriusXM radio.   The car is a 2015.   I’m just looking for my own car now.    If I buy a 2022 with satellite radio, will the car radio have a SiriusXM radio that’s a better model than the one in 2015?    When I swapped my subscription onto the 2015 car, the SiriusXM’s channels weren’t as many as the portable radio’s.        Any way I will know what channels that radio model will receive before I spend $35 to move them over?

I’m also really loving HD Radio.,,,I especially love listening to the AM radio stations available as HD stations on their FM sister stations.    My favourite is Zoomer Radio on 96.3 HD2.   Great hearing oldies in stereo!

Are there CRTC regs for HD stations that aren’t already available on FM?    Does a station have to apply to the CRTC to add an HD station to their current FM station.   

I can’t tell the difference between FM and HD just like I can’t see the difference between HDTV and 4KTV.

Have a go at these questions.   Thank you

Last edited by djwildbill (May 9, 2023 6:25 am)

May 8, 2023 11:48 pm  #2

Re: Questions about car radio (SiriusXM & HD)

I'm not sure if all GM vehicles have SXM capable radios, but my 2020 Equinox came equipped with SXM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 9, 2023 9:37 am  #3

djwildbill wrote:

Are there CRTC regs for HD stations that aren’t already available on FM? Does a station have to apply to the CRTC to add an HD station to their current FM station.)

Stations have to get approval to begin HD operation, but there are no regulations for the operation of sub-channels and their content.

May 9, 2023 5:51 pm  #4

SXM channels differ between internet and satelite reception.

May 10, 2023 9:35 am  #5

Sirius XM radio's can differ however if you buy a new car in 2023 you're not going to be limited in the stations you can receive since they will be SiriusXM radios. older models of radio could be XM original or Sirius original with limitations on which plans they can sub to. however my two vehicles both marketed as SiriusXM get everything available in Canada as these plans and radios were designed for the combined platform. where as my portable sirius radio has upper channel limits.