sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2023 8:13 am  #1

No Moore In The Morning: Agar Subs For Moore On NT1010

I know there are a lot of people here who enjoy John Moore's morning show on RB. So it was a bit of a jolt to turn on the radio Friday and hear Jerry Agar in his place. Moore is attending a family wedding in North Carolina, and Agar will be sitting in until Tuesday. 

I know some here hate Agar, but he's a pro whose had shows on both WGN Chicago and WABC New York. A bad radio personality doesn't reach those heights. But I'm not a fan of him as a morning man and prefer him in his regular timeslot. 

For those who aren't fans, there's always Greg Brady over on 640 and Metro Morning on CBC. Sometimes you can surprise yourself by occasionally listening to a different personality or another point of view. If you're not an Agar fan, this is a great chance to do just that. 

April 28, 2023 9:00 am  #2

Re: No Moore In The Morning: Agar Subs For Moore On NT1010

An amusing moment on MM this morning - host was interviewing Jan Wong on the subject of Netflix's K-drama popularity:

HOST: We're speaking with former Globe and Mail journalist Jan Wong. Hello, Jan?
Remote: muffled sounds.
HOST: ...Jan are you there?
Remote: Uh...this isn't Jan Wong.

Twenty seconds of dead air ensued before they threw to a music segment. Eventually they successfully made contact with their intended guest, but what a hoot.

Edit: MM == Metro Morning, not Moore in the Morning.

Last edited by Chrisphen (April 28, 2023 10:29 am)

April 28, 2023 10:18 am  #3

popped my radio on @5:10am this morning .. ugg, oh ya, Agar's sitting in for John .. 

kind of lame but Jerry decides a joke is a good way to start his version of a more pleasant show than his regular yell-fest.

Jerry's joke: 
Doc: sorry, i have really bad news.  you only have 2 months to live.
Patient: there's nothing you can do doc?
Doc: no, sorry .. nothing.
Patient: is there anything i can do doc?
Doc: take 5-6 mud baths a day.
Patient: & that will help?
Doc: Nope but you'll get used to laying in dirt.

*sigh* such a "lovely" joke for the early morning .. that's humour?

i can't stand him .. not funny .. sounds fake .. and huffing & puffing like he had just finished a 5K run .. and this is the "fun, light-hearted" Jerry, not the bombastic mocker on his regular show.

i flipped on a music channel .. i'll return to 1010 on Wednesday when John Moore returns. 

April 28, 2023 10:41 am  #4

Yes, not to pile on Jerry...but.  To call him a pro to me is a stretch.  He doesn't handle interviews that well, always sounds like there is a 5 second disconnect between what he is saying and thinking and then he stumbles.   He laughs at his jokes way too much and this is annoying. 

I heard him yesterday talking to an environmentalist and Jerry was always jumping in and interrupting while the man was trying to speak. And Agar would disagree with everything the guy was trying to say.  That is not professional, sorry.  I couldn't care less if he worked at WGN or WABC.  Working at these stations or CFRB does not make you a pro.

Tucker Carlson worked at CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and PBS. And he got fired from all of them. This does not make him a professional broadcaster just because he was employed by the big guns.  He is just someone with opinions. He was able to tell a certain segment of the US population what they wanted to hear and they loved it.  He lied, didn't believe himself what he was talking about, didn't even like the politicians he was endorsing on air.  This is anything but professional.  

April 28, 2023 10:53 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, not to pile on Jerry...but.  To call him a pro to me is a stretch.  He doesn't handle interviews that well, always sounds like there is a 5 second disconnect between what he is saying and thinking and then he stumbles.   He laughs at his jokes way too much and this is annoying. 

I heard him yesterday talking to an environmentalist and Jerry was always jumping in and interrupting while the man was trying to speak. And Agar would disagree with everything the guy was trying to say.  That is not professional, sorry.  I couldn't care less if he worked at WGN or WABC.  Working at these stations or CFRB does not make you a pro.

Tucker Carlson worked at CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and PBS. And he got fired from all of them. This does not make him a professional broadcaster just because he was employed by the big guns.  He is just someone with opinions. He was able to tell a certain segment of the US population what they wanted to hear and they loved it.  He lied, didn't believe himself what he was talking about, didn't even like the politicians he was endorsing on air.  This is anything but professional.  

God's truth!

April 28, 2023 2:11 pm  #6

g121 wrote:

popped my radio on @5:10am this morning .. ugg, oh ya, Agar's sitting in for John .. 

kind of lame but Jerry decides a joke is a good way to start his version of a more pleasant show than his regular yell-fest.

Jerry's joke: 
Doc: sorry, i have really bad news.  you only have 2 months to live.
Patient: there's nothing you can do doc?
Doc: no, sorry .. nothing.
Patient: is there anything i can do doc?
Doc: take 5-6 mud baths a day.
Patient: & that will help?
Doc: Nope but you'll get used to laying in dirt.

*sigh* such a "lovely" joke for the early morning .. that's humour?

i can't stand him .. not funny .. sounds fake .. and huffing & puffing like he had just finished a 5K run .. and this is the "fun, light-hearted" Jerry, not the bombastic mocker on his regular show.

i flipped on a music channel .. i'll return to 1010 on Wednesday when John Moore returns. 

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9vbW55LmZtL3Nob3dzL3RoZS1icmVha2Zhc3Qtd3JhcC9wbGF5bGlzdHMvcG9kY2FzdC5yc3M/episode/ZTMxYTEzMGUtNWY4YS00OTE1LTlhYzUtYWZmMjAwYjFmMjhi?ep=14

Here's the deadly painful clip of the not funny joke Jerry tried to tell. It starts at 2:20 of the Breakfast Wrap mini podcast from this morning. g121 typing the joke did a better job than Mr.Agar did telling it.

I don't mind Jerry on some segments of his mid-morning show, but I agree, he's not a morning guy.

I'd like to know the thinking behind including the joke in the Moore In the Morning Breakfast Wrap mini podcast for today. Did it come down to a time crunch? Does everything said in a certain segment automatically make it as mini podcast content. Does someone want to rib Jerry? Make the audience really appreciate and miss John?

By the way, I love listening to the Breakfast Wrap normally when I miss the first part of the MITM show. But it was definitely not a sweet sweet Friday even tho the BW blurb said it was. I'd rather have Reshmi fill in for John.

Sports radio early next Monday for moi if we win Saturday. And I'll be checking out CHOM to see how Jay sounds.

Happy weekend to all.

Last edited by betaylored (April 28, 2023 2:13 pm)

April 28, 2023 3:33 pm  #7

Perhaps Jerry is not best in the morning man position, but with all the staff cuts by Bell there is very limited bench strength when  fill-in hosts are needed! 

April 28, 2023 5:21 pm  #8

Lots of good points made here.  I stopped listening to Jerry months ago, but I've been driving around a lot the last few weeks so I gave him a listen. 
  I'm aware a talk-show host needs opinions and a personality to be successful.  But Jerry even admits sometimes that his strong passions can come across on air as full-blown hate. He simply refuses to admit other people are entitled to opinions other than his.  As mentioned above, he interrupts and rants at guests and callers who dare to disagree with him.  At times, he brings to mind Bill O'Reilly, Morton Downey Jr and Robert Novak.  Then, he wonders why no one calls to disagree with him.
   Jerry is entitled to complain that taxes are too high and that governments at all levels are inefficient. See the Eglinton LRT for reference.  (Never mind that private sector customer service like Rogers or Air Canada is also bad.)  But his non-stop attacks on what he feels are overpaid and under-worked public sector workers are a broken record.  His latest brain wave is for Ottawa to fire 20% of its employees.  Apart from asking Tim Hudak how that idea worked for the Ontario Tories, maybe Jerry should think about the retraining and severance costs plus the blow that would do to the economy.
    But I guess it's pick your poison on mid-morning radio in Toronto.  Alex Pierson is forever complaining on AM 640 about the Trudeau Foundation and all the evil she claims it's doing.  Still waiting for a shred of evidence.
    Time to switch to music...

April 28, 2023 5:30 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, not to pile on Jerry...but...

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion of Mr. Agar, and many here share it. But then, in the interest of fairness, you'd also have to level the exact same criticism at the afternoon host, Reshmi Nair. Like Jerry, she is "always jumping in and interrupting" while a guest is "trying to speak." And during interviews, Reshmi often disagrees "with everything the guy was trying to say." 

"That, too is not professional."

She does exactly the same thing you accuse of Agar of doing, only I would say it's worse. If a guest says something that doesn't match her opinion or isn't politically correct to her standards, there is an instant and angry tone in her voice that sounds like she wants to lash out at them. And she frequently does, cutting off the person and talking over them. 

I happened to tune in briefly on Friday and heard her do just that to Jim Richards, one of the station's own staff members. It was squirmingly uncomfortable. 

If you disagree with that assessment, then I can only assume it's all about which side of the political spectrum you're on, and you only recognize the unpleasantness of people you disagree with, even when their opposite does the exact same thing.

As for Agar's past, I would have to say being on the air with your own show in the first and third largest markets in the U.S., as well as the #1 one market in Canada, is something few of us can boast about. You may not like his attitude and you may violently disagree with him, but that's a major accomplishment in my book. People without at least some talent never, ever make it that far. 

April 28, 2023 7:13 pm  #10

First off I don't listen to Reshmi Nair or much talk radio in the afternoon.  I have heard Reshmi maybe for a total of an hour or two since moving to afternoons on Newstalk 1010.

Never really heard any of her interrupting or rudeness.  All I have been exposed to is more happy talk with either her former co host or listeners, so it is hard to form an opinion of someone that I don't listen to.  Most of the topics I heard on her show weren't of particular interest to me so I moved on.   In terms of her rude style, it is only what I have read on here ever since she landed in the afternoon.  

I don't listen to Jerry that much either but have heard him a fair bit over the years.  Since he has been with 1010 much longer I am familiar with his show and style.  I haven't usually criticized him for what he says or his beliefs, but rather his rudeness and almost childish attitude with listeners and others he either doesn't like or disagrees with.  He gets condescending with callers and even guests that get under his skin.

Professionals don't act or react this way.  Again I don't care if he worked at some big markets in the US or him working at 1010. You seem to think this makes an individual a pro, I disagree.  Bill Kelly who is on CHML/CFPL at the same time as Jerry is more of a professional broadcaster in my opinion. 

April 28, 2023 7:47 pm  #11

All I'm trying to point out is that you don't get on those stations unless you have something to offer. Even if you don't like a guy's on-air style, they don't hire amateurs. You won't hear someone from Podunk, Maine with a year's experience on any of them. So if you don't like pro, perhaps you'll accept "experienced." 

And by the way, I don't always agree with Agar, either. But he's nowhere as rude as Nair, and I've definitely heard them both enough to be able to say that with certainty. 

April 28, 2023 8:14 pm  #12

I have always thought of Agar as the guy who's reaction to every story is, "yes but how much is that going to cost"
That's all he seems to talk about.
The other morning I woke up to 1010 on my clock radio alarm to hear the opening of the Agar show.
In my mind I thought, oh here he is the guy who always obsesses about how much things cost.
His topic was the return of the big rubber duck to the shore of Lake Ontario in Toronto.
The first thing out of his mouth was to the effect of "so the rubber duck is coming back, but how much will that cost the taxpayers?"
I actually laughed out loud in bed.. he was so predictable.
He reminds me of a quote from Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" when he described Scrooge as a man who "knew the cost of everything but the value of nothing"

April 29, 2023 8:29 am  #13

Since early February I have been doing a Monday to Friday morning commute from Collingwood to Barrie. I have tried all the morning shows available on radio that my old Malibu can receive and I have settled on the Oz and Dangerous Dave show on 89.1 Max FM out of Orillia. The alternative music format they air is not everyone's choice , but I like hearing something different than the same 200 songs most of the competitors play. Their low budget show is not real flash, but they work together well, there is not alot of commercials, and during my one hour drive, there is one short news update that gives me what I need to know. At this point in my 67 years, I don't care about Toronto politics, or any politics really ,which is primarily what the news talk stations are broadcasting. 

Last edited by mic'em (April 29, 2023 8:30 am)