sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2023 5:24 pm  #1

A Radio First: A.I. DJs Play A.I.-Composed Music On Swedish Station

A Swedish radio station on Thursday turned over its programming so that Artificial Intelligence-cloned soundalikes of their own DJs played Artificial Intelligence created music for 13 hours straight. The outlet, called Couleur 3, claims it's the first of its kind experiment ever presented on the medium anywhere in the world.

"...using cloned voices of five real, human presenters...and never-aired-before music composed almost entirely by computers, not people. From 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., the station said, AI controlled its airwaves. Every 20 minutes, listeners got a reminder.

With an eerie, Sci-Fi movie-like track whirring in the background, a soothing, raspy female voice said: “AI is taking your favorite radio by storm.”

Even the announcement was created by a robot. And the newscasts were all predictions of what might happen in the future. 

Sadly, it's this kind of thing that just might happen in the future that's the really scary part of this story. 

Robots run the show as Swiss radio tests AI voices for a day

May 2, 2023 7:21 am  #2

Re: A Radio First: A.I. DJs Play A.I.-Composed Music On Swedish Station

The reaction to the experiment was mixed, but most listeners didn't seem to like the idea - leading the guy in charge to conclude it was worthwhile but not something they'll do going forward.

"It's not easy distinguishing between a human and a robot speaking. However, this experiment also shows us that creativity, surprise, and humor remain human characteristics -- and this reassures us, even though we had no doubt about it from the beginning of the project. This day shows us the way forward: working on added value and originality in our content."

"Give Us Back Our Humans!": Listeners React To AI Radio Test

May 2, 2023 8:27 am  #3

Re: A Radio First: A.I. DJs Play A.I.-Composed Music On Swedish Station

Always the same with new innovations, inventions and technology...when they're first introduced the naysayers come out - first car will never replace the horse, planes are death traps no one will want to use them, cloning animals is playing God, the internet is a fad, etc, etc...AI is coming so fast heads are spinning and there will always be someone that will continually advance it to the point it eventually becomes widely integrated...ask how many high school kids are already using ChatGPT to do their homework and write essays for them?...this tech is only going to get better and harder to distinguish from humans...

Last edited by Johnny B (May 2, 2023 8:28 am)