sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2023 4:03 pm  #1

A Major Figure At CHUM In Its Glory Days Has Passed

Some here will know the name Fred Sherratt. He was VP of CHUM Limited in the company's glory days and was one of those responsible for its astounding success. The CAB Hall of Famer has died from cancer, leaving behind decades of innovation in the radio biz in Canada. His experience ranges from the mighty 1050 and other stations in the CHUM empire, to TV stations out east.

He was 93.

CAB Hall of Famer Fred Sherratt signs off

April 26, 2023 6:09 pm  #2

Re: A Major Figure At CHUM In Its Glory Days Has Passed

Fred was an inspiration to many of us who worked at 1331 Yonge. When I came back from LA in the fall of 1970, J. Robert Wood asked me what I though my salary should be. I said $10,000. a year.  Bob took me upstairs for a final okay from Mr. Sherratt.  He stood up, shook my hand and said: "Welcome to the 5 figure bracket, Doug.". That was a long time ago.

When we doing the CHUM homecoming in 2001 before switching the oldies format to The Team, Fred often came on the weekend when we were recording those shows with all the former jocks.  One Sunday, I said to him, "I'm 55 years old now, can I start calling you Fred, instead of Mr.. Sherratt." He laughed and said "Of course you can, Mr. Thompson."  Fred was the best.

April 26, 2023 7:20 pm  #3

He was always Mr. Sherratt to me.  He always smiled when he saw me; but I was always just a little bit scared of him.   His son John owns 95.5 Hits FM (CJOJ-FM) and Cool 100 (CHCQ-FM) in Belleville.

Last edited by John D (April 26, 2023 7:24 pm)

April 26, 2023 7:29 pm  #4

John D wrote:

He was always Mr. Sherratt to me.  He always smiled when he saw me; but I was always just a little bit scared of him.  His son owns a radio station in Eastern Ontario.

Two in Belleville! They both sound bigger than the market.