sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2023 9:03 am  #1

Don Daynard 1934 - 2023

Erin Davis posted the news of double D's death on Twitter this morning.

The man was a legend and loved by all who knew or met him.

Rest in Peace Don. 

April 21, 2023 9:38 am  #2

Re: Don Daynard 1934 - 2023

When I got to CKFH in 1967 to do the all night show, I would see Don every morning.  He was the funniest kindest person I had ever met in radio.  He, Geets and I would sit around laughing during the first hour of his morning show.  The irony is that Don moved to Courtice a few years ago and was living 5 minutes from where I was raised.  I went to visit him there, and we had a lot of laughs.  I've lost many of my old CKFH friends over the years; but along with Tom Fulton this one hits hard.  I always remember him telling me how when he lived in California, he went to visit Larry Fine of the 3 Stooges at the old actors home.  Don and I were both big Stooges fans.
R.I.P. Don

Last edited by John D (April 21, 2023 9:41 am)

April 21, 2023 10:32 am  #3

Very sad to hear this. One of the true good guys and one of the most talented. Dazzlin' Don really did earn his nickname. 

Dale Patterson's Rockradioscrapbook.com has several entries from Daynard, including one of his well remembered "Lookin' Back' segments from CKFM in 1986.

April 21, 2023 10:37 am  #4

Sad to hear this. 
Here's Don explaining his change from CKFM to CHFI:

The ads were great! CHFI had a lot of fun with the change: 

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 21, 2023 10:40 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 21, 2023 10:39 am  #5

Here's CHFI's tribute (along with Erin Davis) to Daynard. Nice to see they acknowledged him. 

Don Daynard Tribute

April 21, 2023 1:40 pm  #6

Don was very helpful when I put together the Lookin' Back section a few years ago..

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 21, 2023 1:43 pm  #7

Sad news.  I worked with Don at CKFM and CFRB (after his CKFH gig).  I frequently op’d for him, or produced spots with him.  I also recall he transitioned from swing to mornings on CKFM…but I digress.  We had a lot of laughs.  Funniest thing I remember was he was subbing for Bill Deagan.  Degan would say, every bloody day, at 5:45 pm, in his transition to Gordon Sinclair,…”we have to skeedaddle out of here, to make room for Gordon Sinclair, the news and his comment, and to all you mothers in the kitchen, love-ya…(degan then kissed his hand loudly at the microphone….for effect)  we’ll be right back after that…to help you do the dishes…..on ……(pause) C…F…R…B 1010. “.  (Kinda like Pig Vomit’s reading of the call letters W….N…B….C…)

Well subbing for Deagan,  Don couldn’t help himself,…he did the sign of…a bit differently….and I recall his pronounciation of the words… “you mutha’s in the kitchen”.   Either Deagan was listening, or word got back to him…and I recall Deagan confronting Don, a few days later…what stuck in my mind, more than 50 years later was Deagan saying “you will never talk to my mothers again…like that”.   I don’t know how Don or I kept a straight face.  

We also worked a lot, especially overnights with Michael McManus…the ex priest - who had become a broadcaster and newscaster.  Don always called Michael “the Padre”.  

Don was always a pleasure to work with, although he was nearly 2 decades older than me….I always felt he treated me as an “equal”.  R.I.P. Don.

Guess the Woke Police would be all over Deagan for that sign/off today…

April 21, 2023 2:06 pm  #8

I didn't think I had anything in my archives about Don Daynard, until I found this from Dec. 1990:

April 21, 2023 2:18 pm  #9

Nice to see a tribute featured in at least one Toronto newspaper, when most pay almost no attention to radio in this town. From the Toronto Sun:

Legendary Toronto radio host Don Daynard dead at 88 

Also:
98.1 CHFI presents a tribute to legendary – Don Daynard.

April 21, 2023 2:25 pm  #10

I'm proud to say Don Daynard was a SOWNY member, having joined when Iain Grant brought the board back around 2017. He only posted a few times, but this may be one his most memorable:

https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1635

April 21, 2023 2:44 pm  #11

A few more memories, this one from 1968 when he was at CKFH. (Although I'm not entirely sure this was completely complimentary!) I had no idea Daynard once worked in L.A. as what the author calls a "costume lackey." And check out the pic of a very young newbie named John Donabie!) 

Here's Don pictured presenting an award to a Polish athlete at MLG in 1969:

April 21, 2023 4:04 pm  #12

I'm learning more and more about Daynard with each obit. Did you know he once worked for TVO, was in Porkys (his voice can be heard at the 1:43 mark in the clip below) and even appeared on The Littlest Hobo? Quite an amazing man, in addition to his on-air work.

From Broadcast Dialogue:

Former CKFM & CHFI morning man Don Daynard signs off at age 88

April 21, 2023 4:47 pm  #13

Double whammy at our house. We both worked with Don; Val at CKFM, me at CHFI.
It feels like the end of an era, even though Daz has been off the air for a while.
Mind you, many of us have been getting older. In my case, I'm getting parking tickets
(true dat) and we haven't been in the downtown in 20 years.

I kinda lucked out, in the meantime. A few of us managed to have some long lunches
with Don, who joined us in Cambridge and at The Arms in St. George. Good stories,
lots chuckles. Phil Meighan, Bob Farrow, yours truly from the Smooth Jazz WAVE, and
whoever else was up for it. It's hard to be sad...it's the memories that make
the difference.

April 21, 2023 4:49 pm  #14

Veteran broadcaster and much valued SOWNY member Dani Elwell paid Daynard this tribute.

April 21, 2023 6:04 pm  #15

Ugh, at 5:58 Global News misspelt and Tracy Tong mispronounced Daynard's name.

April 21, 2023 7:23 pm  #16

Don came back to the Grey Bruce/Owen Sound area many times after leaving.  He had a cottage near Oliphant for years.  Don was a judge for the "Festival Queen" Wiarton Groundhog Pageant and took part in CFOS reunion events.  His first radio station remembers Don Daynard..https://www.560cfos.ca/2023/04/21/former-cfos-personality-don-daynard-passes-away/

April 21, 2023 7:51 pm  #17

Why is John D allowed on this site?

April 21, 2023 7:54 pm  #18

peter wrote:

Why is John D allowed on this site?

I believe that's John Donabie, not the other infamous John D.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 22, 2023 6:42 am  #19

Hope so!

April 22, 2023 7:06 am  #20

Correct... "John D" here on Big Yella is Donabie himself.

April 22, 2023 7:25 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

I'm learning more and more about Daynard with each obit. Did you know he once worked for TVO, was in Porkys (his voice can be heard at the 1:43 mark in the clip below) and even appeared on The Littlest Hobo? Quite an amazing man, in addition to his on-air work.

He did commercials too!

April 22, 2023 7:27 am  #22

Legend. Don's Saturday Night Oldies Show would routinely pull a 25 share in 12+. 1 in 4 radios in the GTA tuned in to him Saturday night during those winning years at CHFI. One of his personal favorites was First Class - Beach Baby. Happy trails, Dazz.

April 22, 2023 9:50 am  #23

I am very sad to hear about Don's passing. I was a fan of Don since his days at CKFH. I still remember the day he introduced me to the music of Tom Rush when he played Drivin' Wheel one afternoon. Who other than Don played Tom Rush on AM radio! I will forever be grateful. In 1982 I had the good fortune of being a DJ for a Day on his Lookin' Back program on CKFM.  Six years later Don was very helpful in directing me to my first job in radio. Not only was he one of the greats to grace the airwaves, but he was a real swell guy too!

April 24, 2023 9:37 am  #24

Peter.  John Donabie here.  Yes I call myself John D on this site.  Hope that's OK with you.  Never knew there was anyone else calling himself John D; in the past.  Radio Active would have mentioned that to me if it were a problem.

Last edited by John D (April 24, 2023 9:42 am)

April 24, 2023 10:04 am  #25

You are the only John D I know of and don't recall another one. If there had been one registered, it would have shown up when you joined as a name that was already "taken." I'm not sure who this other JD is but if he's a troublemaker as the message seems to imply, it's just as well he's not here!

I think for the most part we have a real good group assembled here and while we often disagree on things, it's pretty civil. Many credit me with that, but if the truth were told, it's all of you who make that happen! 

And Mr. Donabie will be welcome here as long as he wants to be a member! We can all learn a lot from a guy with that much experience in Toronto radio. I, for one, am pleased he's part of this.

April 24, 2023 11:07 am  #26

So sad to learn of the passing of Don Daynard. I was so fortunate to have learned from him when I got to produce his show at CHFI. He and Erin Davis were my radio school. He had such a way to connect with the listener.He was always looking for the laugh. I learned so much just from being in the studio with him. Got to hang out with him and his very close gang some weekends up in Oliphant too.He got a kick out of how young I was and that I hadn’t heard his jokes before. He used to say “I have ties older than you.” Thanks for the laughs.“…And if you’re driving, watch out for the other guy”Rest In Peace Daz!I have more photos but this one makes me laugh. Mike Marshall also in the pic!

April 24, 2023 11:27 am  #27

Sorry to hear about Don.  Most of the remembrances mentioned are in Toronto.   In my case Don and I worked together at CJET radio in Smiths Falls in the early sixties. If memory serves me it was his second broadcasting job in Ontario after his return from California.  Many fond memories were made during that period and we continued on our separate ways....Don stayed in broadcasting and I moved on to another career and our paths crossed a few times.  For those of us in my age range, the 80s, almost every week another name is added to the list of those who have departed.  So long old friend and thanks for the memories.

April 25, 2023 6:42 am  #28

John D,
Sorry, thought it was John Derringer 

April 26, 2023 4:33 am  #29

Found this on YouTube:
Don Daynard in his CKFM days: (long before Mix FM...ignore the "mix fm" pic that goes with it, lol)