sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2023 4:36 pm  #1

Former Toronto Radio Host Spider Jones Receives Prestigious Award

Spider Jones, a former prominent Toronto radio host and guest, is celebrating both his 80th birthday Thursday and his being named recipient of the Harry Jerome Lifetime Achievement Award, given to members of the Black community who have contributed to society. 

Many here will recall him as a host on CFRB, AM 640 and The Fan.

"Already a three-time Golden Gloves amateur boxing champion (he was part of Muhammed Ali’s camp when Ali fought George Chuvalo in 1966) with a radio show on Rogers (where he interviewed numerous sports celebrities, including Ali), he achieved a measure of celebrity of his own as the only Black radio personality in the 1990s with his own prime time show – The Spider’s Web – on the Fan 590 with a young George Stroumboulopoulos as his producer."

He has quite a history behind him, especially when you consider grew up on the "wrong side of the law" in Detroit, spent time in prison, and still managed to turn his life around and become a mentor for kids.

Ain't nothing shaking but the bacon...

Spider Jones honoured with Harry Jerome Lifetime Achievement Award

April 20, 2023 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Former Toronto Radio Host Spider Jones Receives Prestigious Award

Good for Spider. What a way to turn around a life. Good for him.

April 21, 2023 10:52 am  #3

In the last months of my dads life before  losing the battle with cancer, he was a avid listener to Spider's show on 590. This timeframe was summer and fall of 1997.  Every time I would visit him, he would mention something he had heard , and how he would like to meet Spider someday. Unfortunately that never happened. After he passed and Spider had moved to CFRB, I sent a letter to him to thank him for the comfort and pleasure he gave my dad as he was getting more ill. Then , I heard Spider had left CFRB, I had sent the note through the 'RB website, so I have to assume he never read it. To summarize, Mr. Jones, if you happen to hear of this thread on SOWNY, and see this post, thank you. 

April 21, 2023 11:11 am  #4

It's funny the effect those disembodied voices can have on listeners and the on-air people really have no idea. I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing about your dad and his experience.

Jones' webpage is very old (it advises you to watch him on Sun TV!) but the email address may still work. You can try and relate your message to him there. If worse comes to worse, it will just bounce back to you. 

SpiderJones.com contact

You can also reach him through his Facebook page.