sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2023 8:50 am  #1

Why A Western Cdn. CanCon Staple Had To Come To Toronto To Succeed

This story is from out west (Lethbridge) but it reveals something I never realized. The Stampeders are back on tour and may be the only Canadian (or even American) band still at it with the entire original membership intact. Considering it's been more than 50 years, that's pretty amazing. 

Some other gems from the article showing how times have changed in the era of Spotify and YouTube:

Despite being named after the Calgary Stampede and growing up out west, founder Rich Dotson says the Stampeders always considered themselves as being from Toronto. 

"Stampeders is sort of a Toronto band, we’ve sort of been in that middle of no-man’s land. We spent some time in Calgary as The Rebounds and then transitioned to Stampeders."

But he believes if they hadn't come east, they would never have made it. Odd then, that their announced tour dates for 2023 bring them nowhere near Ontario or any points east, except for one gig in a place called Little Current, Ont. 

Then there's the importance of what some consider a dying medium.

“If you didn’t get on radio, it was pretty hard to get a fan base,” Dotson recalled.

When the band moved to Toronto, they tried to meet disc jockeys at the bigger radio stations to convince them to play Stampeders records on their shows.

“That’s how you made your connections here… it was more about trying to figure out how to get on a particular show.”

Whereas many bands break up acrimoniously after spending too much time in their own company, it's amazing they're still together all these years later and seem to have remained good friends.

Stampeders celebrating 50 years of music 

April 19, 2023 10:38 am  #2

Re: Why A Western Cdn. CanCon Staple Had To Come To Toronto To Succeed

What I found odd about this article was the references to 50 years, when as you say it's been more than that -- the current lineup having been together since 1966 and releasing their first single in 1967, making it either 56 or 57 years in the business. I did a search and found a 2019 article referencing them being together for 50 years at https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/the-stampeders-hit-the-road-jack-to-mark-50-years-of-rock-and-roll-1.5153101, and also one from 2022 at https://themusicexpress.ca/stampeders-continue-to-roll/ that also references their touring being disrupted for two years by the pandemic. So it would seem that they've been doing a 50th anniversary tour for the last several years. This also led me to look at the tour page on their site at https://thestampeders.com/tour, which shows that they toured in Ontario from Mar. 24 to May 1 last year and then moved on to playing consecutive dates in other parts of the country. So this year their focus, at least for the time being, is on the Prairie Provinces instead.

Last edited by Lorne (April 19, 2023 10:41 am)