sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2023 12:50 pm  #1

Gotta Love That Closed Captioning On CTV

Sometimes, there's a strange twist to the closed captioning that you don't get if you're watching a show without it. I've written before about how it fills in missed dialogue when the music is mixed too loud, that it can I.D, the name of a tune that's not referred to in the script, and even occasionally shows you an original line that was there before it was changed. 

And then there's the unexpected mistake that can completely change the meaning of what an anchor is saying. Such was the case on CTV's Noon News in Toronto Tuesday, as Jessica Smith was delivering her weather forecast. She was talking about the gametime temperature at Maple Leaf Square for fans who were thinking of going down there for the first playoff contest.

She told viewers, "You might need a heavier jacket, depending on how hardy you are."

But what those with the CC on saw was, "You might need a heavier jacket, depending on how hard you are."

That's certainly an entirely different matter and perhaps if you're in that condition, you shouldn't be going out in public in the first place!

April 18, 2023 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Gotta Love That Closed Captioning On CTV

April 25, 2023 7:34 pm  #3

Re: Gotta Love That Closed Captioning On CTV

The closed captions are never in sync during live CTV newscasts I wonder why.