sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2023 4:18 pm  #1

When Did All MLB Announcers Fall In Love With This Word?

I've been listening to a number of Jays games on the Fan and there's one word they keep using endlessly that stands out: "velo," pronounced Vee-Low.

It's short for velocity, and it seems to have become the word of the season for these guys. I must hear it referred to at least 20 times a broadcast, and for the life of me, I have no idea when it became so common that you can't listen to a game without it being used almost every inning and in the pre- and post-game coverage.

Never mind that the real thing isn't pronounced veel-ocity. For some reason, it's become the new buzz word in these broadcasts - at least on the Fan - and I have to admit, it's starting to get on my nerves. Anyone else notice this? They sound like teenagers using the latest slang word. But way too often. Is this new or have I somehow missed it in years past?

April 16, 2023 6:14 pm  #2

Re: When Did All MLB Announcers Fall In Love With This Word?

The American Jay play by play person is the worst; ZERO talent....Put Dan Shulman's son in there instead

April 16, 2023 10:58 pm  #3

peter wrote:

The American Jay play by play person is the worst; ZERO talent....Put Dan Shulman's son in there instead

Buck Martinez?  :D

April 17, 2023 7:04 am  #4

Tommy...no, radio..Ben Wagner. The initial comment was on the Fan

April 17, 2023 4:11 pm  #5

This seems to be a thing with sportscasters - their own cute/unique way of naming something. "Pots" for goals in hockey, "ribbies" for RBIs in baseball, etc.

I've always thought it sounded a bit silly.

RadioActive wrote:

I've been listening to a number of Jays games on the Fan and there's one word they keep using endlessly that stands out: "velo," pronounced Vee-Low.

It's short for velocity, and it seems to have become the word of the season for these guys. I must hear it referred to at least 20 times a broadcast, and for the life of me, I have no idea when it became so common that you can't listen to a game without it being used almost every inning and in the pre- and post-game coverage.

Never mind that the real thing isn't pronounced veel-ocity. For some reason, it's become the new buzz word in these broadcasts - at least on the Fan - and I have to admit, it's starting to get on my nerves. Anyone else notice this? They sound like teenagers using the latest slang word. But way too often. Is this new or have I somehow missed it in years past?