sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2023 9:53 am  #31

Re: Fox News "Election Fraud" Lawsuit May Be A Real Life "Succession"

And, the likelihood of any American-founded company being named 'Dominion' is next to zero.

April 19, 2023 1:58 pm  #32

One comment that was interesting yesterday came from a legal expert on one of the US networks. He mentioned that Fox could also be sued by shareholders of the company. 
More from Reuters..https://www.reuters.com/legal/fox-investors-seek-records-possible-step-toward-suing-directors-2023-04-17/

Last edited by paterson1 (April 19, 2023 2:01 pm)

April 19, 2023 3:59 pm  #33

And in the end, nothing changes. How can people keep watching a station that knowingly lies to them and admits it? It's baffling.

Weekly Cable Ratings: Fox News Stays On Ratings Roll

April 19, 2023 5:38 pm  #34

It's not baffling to me. Fox feeds them what they want. Someone or something to be furious at.

If they get to be angry at the left, all the better. Fox feeds them red meat. The reality that it's not based on fact is irrelevant. It's how they feel and respond that matters.

Fox News has devolved into a faint copy of the WWE and, bizarrely, attracts the same audience. They know wrestling is fake. They know Fox News is fake. They don't care.

April 19, 2023 7:18 pm  #35

From now on, I'm going to call the network, "Fake News" instead of "Fox News." After all, they admitted as much in their court settlement. 

April 19, 2023 7:51 pm  #36

Well put Dial Twister.

It is much too early to say "nothing has changed."  The changes for Fox News Network haven't even started yet. They have many many more lawsuits ahead and cable/satellite companies have already told them they won't continue paying $2 per subscriber to run the network on their system.  They are just about to go into negotiations with the major carriers.

Fox News Network ratings aren't really that impressive.  Yes far ahead of MSNBC and CNN for cable.  But most Americans get their news at 6:30 from ABC, CBS and NBC.  These broadcasts average over 18 million viewers every evening.  If PBS Newshour along with CNN and MSNBC were included it would be over 20 million. And we haven't even included all of the local newscasts that millions watch morning, noon and night.

Fox News Networks average of 2.1 million in prime time and 1.3 million daytime doesn't look so impressive.  Does this 2.1 million have the income, education and demos that most advertisers want? 

I have noticed that Fox doesn't generally have the same quality of advertisers as CNN.  Fox has more 2nd tier advertisers and more infomercial type of ads, even during prime time. As mention yesterday, even the odd rare ad that isn't in HD!   

April 20, 2023 8:39 pm  #37

There still may be a more public reckoning in this incident.

Smartmatic, the lesser-known firm that is also suing Fox for defamation, insists it wants to take its case to trial. But it adds if there is a settlement, it would not only have to be more than what the so-called news outlet settled for with Dominion, but the company would demand on air retractions. 

That's something Dominion was not able to extract out of Rupert Murdoch and if they stick to their word, it will be fascinating to see how Fox handles it. (I'm thinking it will be like the old CanCon on CKLW - everything squeezed in during the 11 o'clock hour.) 

Hopefully, this comes to pass. IMHO, despite the record tab, Fox got off way too easily for what they did - and likely will continue to do in the future. I just hope this isn't a bargaining position for the public and then they don't stick to it.

Money talks. But as we've seen in this case, it can also shut people up. 

Smartmatic wants more than Dominion’s $787 million payout, plus a retraction from Fox for its 2020 election lies, lawyer says

April 23, 2023 1:28 pm  #38

I meant to watch Howard Kurtz on Fox's Media Buzz Sunday morning, curious to see how the one person on the network who is actually mentining the story would handle it. 

Turns out, I didn't miss much because it's all over the Internet. Other than conceding 'it's embarrassing,' Kurtz insisted it was all about defending the First Amendment, which last I looked does not defend lying and deliberate falsehoods. And he took special offense at how many other media outlets and pundits were looking forward to seeing Fox's biggest stars humiliated on the stand, something that never happened due to the settlement. 

Anyway, if you're curious to see how they handled this on their media criticism show, here's where you can watch the video

April 23, 2023 1:45 pm  #39

We may still see Fox's Star Liars on the stand, not to mention Fox's Liar-in-Chief. SmartMatic is claiming that they won't settle for a penny less than US$2,700,000,000.00

Either Murdo🤬h pays up, in full, or he sits on the stand, along with his pathetic, hired liars and, under oath, they FINALLY tell the truth.

Lying liars who constantly lie, all for power and money. And THESE are the cretins that Fox viewers hang their MAGA hats on?

Welcome to post-shame America!

Last edited by Dial Twister (April 23, 2023 1:48 pm)

April 23, 2023 2:13 pm  #40

For some reason the Smartmatic case has been held up and won't likely even get to trial until sometime in 2025.  If this happens, a lot can change in that time.  More from CNBC..https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/19/fox-smartmatic-defamation-case-dominion.html#:~:text=%E2%80%9CWe%20will%20be%20ready%20to,in%20a%20statement%20on%20Wednesday.

April 23, 2023 3:44 pm  #41

J. Erik Connolly, the lead attorney for Smartmatic, on Thursday told CNN the company wants nothing short of “the vindication of a jury verdict in their favor.”

“Smartmatic now has a model, a template, and a formula to follow to resolve their defamation dispute,” Roy Gutterman, a journalism professor who teaches communications law at Syracuse University, told The Wall Street Journal.

“Dominion’s litigation exposed some of the misconduct and damage caused by Fox’s disinformation campaign,” Connolly said in a statement. “Smartmatic will expose the rest.”

Connolly said Smartmatic would insist that Fox News apologize for its lies in any settlement.

“In order to get back to where they were before this all started, where they can win the contracts that they’re now losing, they need to get an apology,” Connolly said. “They need to get a full retraction because they’re in that business for the long haul.”

SOURCE: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-dominion-settlement-smartmatic-lawsuit_n_64411ed2e4b039ec4e7d1694

April 23, 2023 6:16 pm  #42

And, I'll be blunt here. There are a small number of posters on this board whom appear to have Fox talking points burned into their thinking, and yet they haven't posted in this thread.

A good indicator of one's ability to think and reason, is that person's willingness to retract incorrect statements and then apologize for spouting lies and innuendo. Failure to 'own up' is a revealing indicator of one's lack of (...something...readers can decide for themselves).

April 23, 2023 8:14 pm  #43

April 23, 2023 11:49 pm  #44

Not directly related to the Fox News / Dominion Voting lawsuit... but this week also brought down a ruling for prominent Trump supporter and 2020 election results "denier" Mike Lindell, in which Mr. Lindell has been ordered to pay $5 million to an expert who disproved Lindell's election results data claim as being wrong.

Lindell had offered a $5 million prize to anyone who "could prove Mike wrong". Well, someone did, and then Mike didn't want to accept that he was "wrong"... 

This story was on a few US sites last Thursday, and I laughed when one of the sites referred to Lindell as "The Pillow Man". 

(In January,  Mr. Lindell was in the news after making claims that his company "lost $100 million" as a result of defending the false election claims.  Later in March, Lindell claimed that the company had to borrow approx. $10 million just to keep the lights on, and also that a bank was closing his accounts in order to avoid "reputational damage")

The story has now been picked up by the BBC (linked below).

My Pillow boss Mike Lindell to pay $5m to man over bogus election claim

The founder of US bedding company My Pillow has been ordered to pay $5m to an expert who proved his 2020 presidential election data was wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65350125

Last edited by Glen Warren (April 23, 2023 11:54 pm)

April 23, 2023 11:57 pm  #45

One by one the circus clowns are being unmasked.

The best we can hope for is silence, from the MAGA crowd. Few of them will have the intestional fortitude to admit they've been conned by the greatest grifter known to mankind. If they refuse to admit how badly they fell for it, perhaps they'll just kindly shut up.

Last edited by Dial Twister (April 23, 2023 11:57 pm)

April 24, 2023 12:04 am  #46

Glen Warren wrote:

Not directly related to the Fox News / Dominion Voting lawsuit... but this week also brought down a ruling for prominent Trump supporter and 2020 election results "denier" Mike Lindell, in which Mr. Lindell has been ordered to pay $5 million to an expert who disproved Lindell's election results data claim as being wrong.

Lindell had offered a $5 million prize to anyone who "could prove Mike wrong". Well, someone did, and then Mike didn't want to accept that he was "wrong"... 

This story was on a few US sites last Thursday, and I laughed when one of the sites referred to Lindell as "The Pillow Man". 

(In January,  Mr. Lindell was in the news after making claims that his company "lost $100 million" as a result of defending the false election claims.  Later in March, Lindell claimed that the company had to borrow approx. $10 million just to keep the lights on, and also that a bank was closing his accounts in order to avoid "reputational damage")

The story has now been picked up by the BBC (linked below).

My Pillow boss Mike Lindell to pay $5m to man over bogus election claim

The founder of US bedding company My Pillow has been ordered to pay $5m to an expert who proved his 2020 presidential election data was wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65350125 

I'm guessing he might lose sleep over this!