sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2023 9:35 am  #1

Freedom Mobile Is Here To Stay/ Plans To Undercut Bell and Rogers

Quebecor chief Pierre Peladeau says that the Freedom Mobile name is staying, and he plans to undercut Bell and Rogers by at least 20%.  More from The Waterloo Region Record..https://www.therecord.com/ts/business/2023/04/13/you-watch-meet-the-man-who-plans-to-lower-your-cellphone-bills.html

April 13, 2023 8:09 pm  #2

Re: Freedom Mobile Is Here To Stay/ Plans To Undercut Bell and Rogers

Freedom is already a good deal.   I purchased a rock solid Motorola Moto G8 for $220in 2020 interest free for 12 mo. and carry a 10gb / month for $45.00, so the price is lower than Bell / Rogers.   It's been very useful on the subway since they were the only ones covered and I was not affected by the Rogers outage.   The coverage is quirky, it's not so good at Mosport (north of Bowmanville), where the data covers about 1/2 the track on my plan and the rest is either roaming or no data at all.    Hopefully they'll fix that with the new owner.

July 24, 2023 4:21 pm  #3

I suspected something was up when the CRTC delayed issuing its daily press release from 11 AM to 4 PM on Monday. The Commission delivered its final ruling on the odd relationship between Rogers and Quebecor's Freedom Mobile, and I suppose they were waiting for the markets to close. 

It concerns the rates set for Freedom Mobile to access the Rogers network, after both compaines submitted their own proposals. 

"The Commission selects QMI’s offer and directs the parties to enter into an MVNO (wholesale mobile virtual network operator) access agreement consistent with QMI’s offer so that QMI can expand competitive mobile wireless services to Canadians as quickly as possible. Offers were assessed on whether they were just and reasonable and evaluated on a number of public policy factors. Based on those factors, the Commission has selected the offer proposed by QMI as it best meets the evaluation criteria.

"The Commission’s decision helps to ensure that Canadians have access to affordable telecommunications services. In reaching its decision, the Commission considered whether the approved rates will promote competition, affordability, and investment in networks, in accordance with the Telecommunications Act and the 2023 Policy Direction."

This should be the final decision before the long-awaited rates are rolled out. Should be interesting to see what this ends up being and how many might defect from Big Red if the rates truly are significantly cheaper. But I'll believe it when I see it.

CRTC Decision

July 25, 2023 12:25 am  #4

Telus appears to be getting ready for the upcoming battle. Recently updated my Public Mobile plan when they offered 30 GB for $39/month. $2 off per month for automatic payment. You do have to pay 3 months in advance and bring your own phone but I find that no problem. Service is okay in the Ontario exurbs where I live. Also give you a $1 off each month for every year that you have been with them.

July 25, 2023 12:44 am  #5

I only pay $35 for 5GB, Canada wide calling Canada wide texting and voicemail all included with Rogers.
Rogers is the best!!! 
(my phone contract ended-I could go anywhere, but I'm sticking with Rogers for now-long live my phone, lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 25, 2023 8:12 am  #6

I'm still on the $39/mo unlimited talk, text, data Canada & US plan... and from what I'm told Quebecor will continue to honour the original WIND deal for at least 3 more years (and hopefully longer).

It switches to ATT&T in the States and since I'm there approx. 3 months each winter it's a really great deal.

Last edited by zed (July 25, 2023 8:12 am)

July 25, 2023 10:58 am  #7

zed wrote:

I'm still on the $39/mo unlimited talk, text, data Canada & US plan... and from what I'm told Quebecor will continue to honour the original WIND deal for at least 3 more years (and hopefully longer).

It switches to ATT&T in the States and since I'm there approx. 3 months each winter it's a really great deal.

$4 more to make your data unlimited so it can be slow as hell after 5GB?
Well, at least you won't be dinged for $20 extra for going over 5GB.
However, I personally never go over that because I use my WiFi at home instead of data, and that costs me nothing. 
Rogers is great! I LOVE Rogers! (until I need a new phone...lol, then maybe I will have to review things carefully...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 25, 2023 11:02 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 27, 2023 4:37 pm  #8

Freedom Mobile to offer 5G service through 2 new plans

"On Thursday, it unveiled two more Canada-wide plans eligible for 5G service including 30 gigabytes of monthly data for $45, plus unlimited talk and text, along with 50 gigabytes of data usable in Canada, the U.S. and Mexico for $65 per month."