sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2023 12:57 pm  #1

The Big Deal Approved Friday And Finalized Today

The mega deal between Rogers and Shaw got government approval on Friday and today it is official.  More from CBC.ca
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-shaw-merger-official-1.6799566

April 3, 2023 3:14 pm  #2

Re: The Big Deal Approved Friday And Finalized Today

From the Financial Post:

Can the industry minister really force big telcos to lower phone bills?

Most of those quoted in the article seem to feel the answer is "no" or he would not have allowed this deal to go through - and he would have done something long before now. 

"Experts suggested Champagne’s threat looks like little more than bluster. 

“This is just a bunch of handwaving after the minister has allowed the horses to bolt the barn,” said Dwayne Winseck, a communications professor who leads the Global Media and Internet Concentration Project at Carleton University in Ottawa.

"Winseck said the industry minister could direct the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to regulate rates for wireless services. But the most effective move available to the minister, Winseck said, was to kill the deal altogether. “It would have been easy to shoot it down,” he said.

April 3, 2023 4:50 pm  #3

From The Canadian Press:

The head of Rogers Communications Inc. pledged to lower costs for customers and brushed aside competition concerns after the company closed its $26-billion purchase of Shaw Communications Inc. on Monday.

"What we want to make sure we get right is all the things for our customers, and in particular, affordability," Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri said in an interview.

"One of the key pluses of this is that competition is going up, especially in the west, and prices are going to come down."

Rogers CEO pledges reduced prices as company finalizes $26-billion merger with Shaw

April 3, 2023 5:04 pm  #4

Greed will just scare the customer away and drive more people to (illegal) IPTV services for their entertainment choices. 
Prices have to come down. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 3, 2023 10:04 pm  #5

Quebecor will move ‘quickly’ to bring down wireless prices for Freedom Mobile customers, CEO says
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-quebecor-will-move-quickly-to-bring-down-wireless-prices-for-freedom/

The questions are: what does "quickly" mean and how much will prices really go "down?" And if they do, would you make the switch?

April 17, 2023 4:29 pm  #6

We get our TV through Shaw Direct. When I called for customer service today, the auto answer told me they are now part of Rogers but there would be no immediate changes. Then I got put on hold for 45 minutes.

Right. No change.

Last edited by turkeytop (April 17, 2023 4:30 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.