sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2023 6:25 pm  #31

Re: What Some Of The City's Top DJs Really Thought Of CanCon Rules

Well, who is changing the goalposts now??  The ratings at 6am with or without the cancon would still be the least listened to part of the morning.   Nobody said anything about four cancon cuts lowering the ratings early morning.  What is absurd is to argue that playing one Canadian song less per hour on a Saturday afternoon makes any difference or creates less damage.  Since you earlier agreed that the listener wouldn't notice, then how could it be less damaging, or how could BOOM listeners enjoy the station any less?  This cancon shuffle is totally a radio management thing that makes them feel better and more in charge, but to the people that matter...it appears not to...  matter. 

March 31, 2023 8:27 pm  #32

I said the listeners don't notice Cancon placement, but they do notice that a station is playing more of their favourite songs when they do listen.

Proof that this works? The most consistently rated station in market #1 does it and they have way more access to data about their listeners than either of us do.

To suggest that the professionals at boom would program is such a manner to "feel better and more in charge" is quite insulting, especially coming from someone who has clearly never done the job.

March 31, 2023 11:33 pm  #33

I wasn't referring to any of the professionals at Boom.  I like the station and think it is well programmed.

We used Boom as the example of stacking of cancon and my point has been that I have doubts it actually makes any difference since we are talking about only a few songs.  So far you haven't given any reason for me to change my mind other some vague references about stacking being a proven method that is used throughout the industry.

Great that the most consistently #1 station  has data on their listeners and does extensive music research.  But they also know that music is just one part of the reason they are #1.  Just as important is everything else that they are doing that makes them a great radio station.  Every #1 station has a competitor that plays the same music and wants the same audience.  It is also everything else that they are doing that helps to keep them consistently #1.