sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2023 11:13 am  #1

What Some Of The City's Top DJs Really Thought Of CanCon Rules

It may not surprise you that, before the Canadian Content rules were instituted as government policy, many of Toronto radio's then-biggest personalities didn't much like the idea. Check out this brief blurb from RPM Magazine back in 1968. Some of the comments are overtly negative, while others were more willing to give it a try..

(Although I very much doubt John Donabie would say this today if asked.)

March 24, 2023 11:30 am  #2

Re: What Some Of The City's Top DJs Really Thought Of CanCon Rules

It appears almost two decades later, the attitude at the two big rock stations in the city hadn't changed much. Both of these articles are from Dec. 1985.

March 24, 2023 11:52 am  #3

I remember attending a panel at CMW (when radio mattered to Neil Dixon) and Jim Waters was asked what he thought about CanCon.. this was in the 90's.  He said.. and I paraphrase.. it's great.  It should be 30% in the winter and 20% in the summer.  I looked at the person from the CRTC who was also on the panel just to see if they would have a stroke...

March 24, 2023 9:58 pm  #4

I remember CanCon Sunday mornings on 1050 CHUM in the early 1980's. CHUM would try and squeeze in as many K-tel versions of Canadian tunes (usually whittled down to about 2 minutes each) between the 6 - 9am hours. I'm guessing the CRTC wasn't terribly amused by that.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 24, 2023 10:01 pm  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

I remember CanCon Sunday mornings on 1050 CHUM in the early 1980's. CHUM would try and squeeze in as many K-tel versions of Canadian tunes (usually whittled down to about 2 minutes each) between the 6 - 9am hours. I'm guessing the CRTC wasn't terribly amused by that.

PJ

The Sunday morning stack is still alive and well. Locally it's done on Indie 88, Kiss 92.5, Boom 973, CHFI and CHUM 104.5.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 24, 2023 10:12 pm)

March 24, 2023 10:12 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

The Sunday morning stack is still alive and well. Boom 97.3 and Indie 88 do it, and likely others.

I've also noticed that Boom (and a few other stations) spin almost exclusively CanCon during the 6 - 7am hours on Saturdays and Sundays, but they're playing complete songs (for the most part). I think 1050 CHUM may have been trying to fulfill most of their weekly CanCon obligations in one big fell swoop with their exercise.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (March 24, 2023 10:13 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 24, 2023 10:13 pm  #7

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

The Sunday morning stack is still alive and well. Boom 97.3 and Indie 88 do it, and likely others.

I've also noticed that Boom (and a few other stations) spin almost exclusively CanCon during the 6 - 7am hours on Saturdays and Sundays, but they're playing complete songs (for the most part). I think 1050 CHUM may have been trying to fulfill most of their weekly CanCon obligations in one big fell swoop with their exercise.

PJ

Yes, the CRTC ended the short edits loophole. 

March 24, 2023 11:18 pm  #8

And I didn't say it then RadioActive.  I've been misquoted a couple of times in my career.  Not bad for over 50 years.  Yikes.

Last edited by John D (March 24, 2023 11:30 pm)

March 25, 2023 12:48 pm  #9

John D wrote:

And I didn't say it then RadioActive.  I've been misquoted a couple of times in my career.  Not bad for over 50 years.  Yikes.

I am assuming the quote is out of RPM magazine, it looks like their style.  Anyway, as much as I enjoyed RPM in the day, I have noticed quite a few of the articles that RA has posted contain errors.  It is nice to look at the archives but a lot of "factual" pieces seem to have some of the writers opinion mixed in, resulting in a story that isn't always as accurate as it could have been.  But I guess 50+ years later, it is easy to criticize. At the time cancon or the soon to be introduced regulation for AM left a lot of people guessing.  

And as it turns out, the ruling didn't hurt radio and still doesn't in my opinion.  Many broadcasters don't like it and never have, some tried to undermine it which is childish and cheapens the business.  But the audience and listeners, the people who actually matter, didn't care, and still don't. 

Interesting that stations like CHFI, CHUM FM, and a few others stack a little on weekends, early morning, or after 10:30pm but don't through the week or not nearly as much.  Weekends don't matter much for ratings but weekdays do.  Goes to show that stacking or not, doesn't appear to make any difference in the ratings.

So I guess stacking is really done by some broadcasters to make them feel more in charge and important, sort of sticking it to the CRTC.  Wonder if this minority will ever actually put the toys away and grow up a little.  Funny how it appears the listener, the people who again actually matter could care less.  And through the years the ratings have confirmed this. 

March 25, 2023 6:34 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

Weekends don't matter much for ratings but weekdays do.  Goes to show that stacking or not, doesn't appear to make any difference in the ratings.

So I guess stacking is really done by some broadcasters to make them feel more in charge and important, sort of sticking it to the CRTC.  Wonder if this minority will ever actually put the toys away and grow up a little.  Funny how it appears the listener, the people who again actually matter could care less.  And through the years the ratings have confirmed this. 

Weekends do matter, just not the early mornings. And of course stacking makes a difference for ratings.

March 25, 2023 8:11 pm  #11

Weekends matter, just not very much.  Hard to prove that stacking makes any difference at all.  It doesn't  matter through the week when there is hardly any.  The increases and decreases in numbers through the day would happen anyway.  I have nothing against stations playing more cancon during certain hours especially stations like Boom that play all gold.  Does it really make a difference?  Not likely, and especially to listeners who don't really seem to care. 

March 25, 2023 8:27 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Weekends matter, just not very much.  Hard to prove that stacking makes any difference at all.  It doesn't  matter through the week when there is hardly any.  The increases and decreases in numbers through the day would happen anyway.  I have nothing against stations playing more cancon during certain hours especially stations like Boom that play all gold.  Does it really make a difference?  Not likely, and especially to listeners who don't really seem to care. 

Weekends matter a lot. The tuning from around 10am-5p is huge. Playing more popular songs in that window will absolutely help ratings....why wouldn't it?

Of course listeners don't "care"...none of them know about any of this. They just want to hear songs they like, which stacking makes more likely.

Boom stacks. Perhaps send Wayne Webster a note to help him understand optimizing playlists to improve ratings.

March 25, 2023 8:44 pm  #13

John D wrote:

You know, it honestly didn't sound like something you'd say. But of course, it was published in RPM back then and I always thought it was a fairly credible source. I guess not. Now I'm curious if some of those other comments weren't entirely accurate as well. 

March 25, 2023 10:20 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Weekends matter a lot. The tuning from around 10am-5p is huge. Playing more popular songs in that window will absolutely help ratings....why wouldn't it?

Of course listeners don't "care"...none of them know about any of this. They just want to hear songs they like, which stacking makes more likely.

Boom stacks. Perhaps send Wayne Webster a note to help him understand optimizing playlists to improve ratings.

Hahaha, no I don't think I would be telling Wayne how to do things.  He and Boom are doing just fine.  However, they really aren't stacking that much. 

March 22 Wednesday morning 6-9am, 24 songs and 8 cancon  (33%)
Mid Day 11am-2pm  33 songs and 13 cancon (39%)
Wednesday afternoon/evening 3-7pm  45 songs, 15 cancon (33%)
Wednesday evening 9-midnight, 33 songs 13 cancon  (39%) 

Today Saturday morning  6-9am  34 songs and 12 cancon  (35%)  
Mid morning/afternoon today 10 to 5pm a total of 77 songs with 21 cancon- (27%) which is 1 song per hour under

Last edited by paterson1 (March 25, 2023 10:33 pm)

March 29, 2023 2:05 pm  #15

pinto wrote:

I remember attending a panel at CMW (when radio mattered to Neil Dixon) and Jim Waters was asked what he thought about CanCon.. this was in the 90's.  He said.. and I paraphrase.. it's great.  It should be 30% in the winter and 20% in the summer.  I looked at the person from the CRTC who was also on the panel just to see if they would have a stroke...

Pinto as the producer of Canadian Music Week, Neill Dixon has always had a radio stream at the convention in fact it has grown this year to include North America.. Radio Days North America is the partner of Radio Days Europe.
https://cmw.net/radiodays/

Seems like facts always will be facts. You should attend.

Last edited by Stinand (March 29, 2023 2:06 pm)

March 29, 2023 2:42 pm  #16

Stinand wrote:

pinto wrote:

Pinto as the producer of Canadian Music Week, Neill Dixon has always had a radio stream at the convention in fact it has grown this year to include North America.. Radio Days North America is the partner of Radio Days Europe.
https://cmw.net/radiodays/

Seems like facts always will be facts. You should attend.

I've hardly missed any since 1990

Last edited by pinto (March 29, 2023 2:42 pm)

March 29, 2023 2:46 pm  #17

=12pxI've hardly missed any since 1990

So I'm confused why you would say that radio does not matter to CMW you have attended every year. Last year's lineup was stellar and this year's lineup is dynamic. 

March 29, 2023 3:09 pm  #18

Stinand wrote:

=12pxI've hardly missed any since 1990

So I'm confused why you would say that radio does not matter to CMW you have attended every year. Last year's lineup was stellar and this year's lineup is dynamic. 

Because it seemed there was a period of time where the conference seemed to have drifted away and radio appeared to have a smaller role and focus.  I admit it has turned around some and covid sure didn't help.

March 29, 2023 7:49 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Hahaha, no I don't think I would be telling Wayne how to do things.  He and Boom are doing just fine.  However, they really aren't stacking that much. 

March 22 Wednesday morning 6-9am, 24 songs and 8 cancon  (33%)
Mid Day 11am-2pm  33 songs and 13 cancon (39%)
Wednesday afternoon/evening 3-7pm  45 songs, 15 cancon (33%)
Wednesday evening 9-midnight, 33 songs 13 cancon  (39%) 

Today Saturday morning  6-9am  34 songs and 12 cancon  (35%)  
Mid morning/afternoon today 10 to 5pm a total of 77 songs with 21 cancon- (27%) which is 1 song per hour under

6am-7:30 am every Saturday and Sunday are 100% Cancon. 

March 29, 2023 7:52 pm  #20

"Not stacking that much"

March 30, 2023 12:14 am  #21

90 minutes on Saturday and Sunday morning to play all Canadian music is fine for a station like BOOM which is all gold. Does it hurt or help the ratings?  I have my doubts.  Early morning ratings on weekends would be more or less the same with or without all the cancon. 

Saturday mid morning/afternoon 10am to 5pm are the peak weekend ratings that were mentioned earlier. BOOM played 27% cancon which was slightly less than 1 song per hour under.   I find it hard to believe that averaging one less cancon cut per hour would make any difference in ratings. The listener wouldn't notice this at all.  I believe they wouldn't enjoy BOOM any more or less during this time. 

Through the week, when the numbers matter most,  BOOM doesn't appear to be stacking much at all early morning or late evening.  However the station does well and sounds great but whether the weekend 90 minute mash up of cancon early mornings actually makes any difference to me is debatable.

March 30, 2023 10:55 am  #22

paterson1 wrote:

90 minutes on Saturday and Sunday morning to play all Canadian music is fine for a station like BOOM which is all gold. Does it hurt or help the ratings?  I have my doubts.  Early morning ratings on weekends would be more or less the same with or without all the cancon. 

Exactly. That's why it's done.

You can have all the doubts in the world about its effectiveness, but the best programmers on the continent are doing it and don't need to "grow up and put their toys away"

March 30, 2023 11:06 am  #23

paterson1 wrote:

Through the week, when the numbers matter most,  BOOM doesn't appear to be stacking much at all early morning or late evening.

50% Cancon weekdays 6-7am.

March 30, 2023 11:47 am  #24

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Through the week, when the numbers matter most,  BOOM doesn't appear to be stacking much at all early morning or late evening.

50% Cancon weekdays 6-7am.

Yes four out of eight songs 6-7am, not a big deal that would have any impact.  For the morning show from 6-9am this morning BOOM ran 9 cancon out of 25 songs or slightly more than 35%.  So for the weekday morning show, the most important daypart, the stacking is minimal.  And weekends averaging one cancon selection per hour under, for six of the seven hours from 10-5pm wouldn't make any difference.

So we will agree to disagree but I fail to see how this massaging of cancon really would make any difference at all. It's a thing for those in the business that dislike cancon and the regs, but the audience doesn't appear to care and even notice. 

March 30, 2023 2:57 pm  #25

You keep moving the goalposts.

The reality that boom makes significant use of stacking. 22 Cancons in a row on weekend mornings is significant. Going 50/50 in the first hour of the morning show is significant.

And no, listeners aren't going to notice Cancon placement; they're going to notice the station plays mostly songs they like. That's not an opinion, that's statistically provable.

March 30, 2023 4:57 pm  #26

BOOM played 17 in a row on Saturday and 18 on Sunday 6am-7:30am or a few minutes later.  You must have counted some songs prior to 6am for your 22 total. This "significant stacking" for 90 minutes early Saturday and Sunday is only important to radio people, and more or less reshuffling the deck chairs.

Looking at the 18 hour day, and the different dayparts, the stacking is not significant. Playing 4 cancon cuts in the first hour weekday mornings only looks impressive as a percent, but not the actual number of songs.  For the morning show 6-9am BOOM played 35% cancon, 9 out of 25 that is what is significant.  

You may disagree but BOOM is also a popular station because of the cancon they play, not only the non cancon hits.  This is why at noon hour it is interesting to hear the number of cancon songs that are requested on air by listeners.

And we can't forget the top 100 Canadian songs that the station plays twice every Canada Day Weekend.  The feature must be popular judging by the number of commercials during the usually 7 hour show.  That would be significant stacking I believe, and even runs in prime time 10am to 5:30 pm over the weekend.

For the last two years I have requested Africa by Thundermug.  I don't believe it has ever been played but should be on Canada Day Weekend.  Mr. Ashby has played this classic song however.    

March 30, 2023 8:26 pm  #27

paterson1 wrote:

B. Playing 4 cancon cuts in the first hour weekday mornings only looks impressive as a percent, but not the actual number of songs.  For the morning show 6-9am BOOM played 35% cancon, 9 out of 25 that is what is significant.  

Yes, they play 35% in the morning. 50% in 6am, which is the least listened to hour of the day, followed by 18% in the 7am and 25% in the 8am. That's how stacking works!

March 30, 2023 8:28 pm  #28

paterson1 wrote:

You may disagree but BOOM is also a popular station because of the cancon they play, not only the non cancon hits.  This is why at noon hour it is interesting to hear the number of cancon songs that are requested on air by listeners.

Boom is popular because it is well programmed, and that includes a significant and strategic minimizing of Cancon where possible. 

March 30, 2023 9:04 pm  #29

And 6am weekdays would still be the least listened to hour with or without playing 4 cancon songs.  Sorry the stacking is not significant when you are only playing 8 songs per hour in the morning.  The music is not as important weekday mornings as other parts of the day.  Other information like traffic, weather, contests and news updates along with the personalities and phone interplay with listeners are what makes the morning show popular.  Music becomes secondary, simply because they aren't playing that much as compared to the rest of the day. The strategic and significant minimizing of cancon and it's importance you talk about is exaggerated.  

Last edited by paterson1 (March 30, 2023 9:10 pm)

March 31, 2023 6:02 pm  #30

paterson1 wrote:

And 6am weekdays would still be the least listened to hour with or without playing 4 cancon

You're getting this completely backwards! I'm not claiming the Cancon is making 6am the least listened to -- it's put there because that's where it does the least damage.

In no circumstance where people choose their own music does Cancon come close to 35%. If it did, the rule wouldn't exist in the first place!

And of course radio will see higher tuning when they're able to better reflect their listeners' tastes; it's absurd to argue otherwise.