sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2023 11:22 am  #1

The Online Station Where Tom Hanks Is A Rock 'N Roll Disc Jockey

It's an online outlet called "Boss Radio 66," a station that plays very obscure oldies that most of us don't even remember or have never heard before. But apparently Hanks does. And the movie star is such a fan, he volunteered to work on some of their shows for free.

"There are no ads, save, like, the Four Seasons promoting bowling as a perfect date, or the Rolling Stones selling, I kid you not, Rice Krispies … " the Big actor continues. 

"If he were to curate a playlist for PEOPLE, Tom says it would include "lesser-known tracks from Booker T. & the M.G.'s. Johnny Otis. Candi Staton. Dolly Parton before she was Dolly Parton."

The story of how it all happened can be found here:

Tom Hanks, DJ! How the Actor Became a Regular Guest Host on His 'Dream' N.Y.C. Radio Station

You can listen to the station here.

And when I say they play obscure stuff, I'm not kidding. In addition to odd jingles and old actual long dead spots (like Sam The Sham for "HIS Jeans") here's a list of what they aired during a half hour period on Thursday. Have to say some of the songs I've never heard before were actually pretty good. 

11:08am Kinks - So Long
111:06am Florian Monday - Mondo
11:04am The Treasures - Minor Chaos
11:02am Lightnin’ Hopkins - I'm Wild About You
11am Little Richard - Short Fat Fanny
10:57am The Debelaires - Wa-Wabble
10:57am KHJ - Like 93 Khj
10:54am Five Bucks - No Use In Trying
10:52am Turtles - She'd Rather Be With Me
10:50am Max Frost - Free Lovin'
10:48am The Pyramids - Pyramid Stomp

March 23, 2023 3:28 pm  #2

Re: The Online Station Where Tom Hanks Is A Rock 'N Roll Disc Jockey

The weekly Roger Ashby Oldies Show also plays many vintage commercials, such as Hanks mentioned as well as a great many interview clips, plus more familiar oldies.  Roger does occasionally play obscure or long forgotten songs that have relevance to the music of the 1960s and '70s..