sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2023 9:58 am  #1

JAZZ FM Toronto Seeking "Time Capsule" Suggestions

CJRT, aka Jazz FM, has launched a promotion, asking listeners what they think belongs inside an all-time Canadian Jazz Time Capsule. The station is taking listener suggestions for what should be in there and then will hold a special event late next month at a local club to complete it.

"We have asked our community to define Canadian Jazz up until this moment and to make suggestions for our Time Capsule.

Is it a copy of Oscar Peterson’s Canadiana Suite? A memento from CJRT Radio's early broadcast days? A digital mixtape?"

The contact for the project is station host and valued SOWNY member Dani Elwell. 

The JazzFM 91 Canadian Time Capsule Project

August 15, 2023 4:30 pm  #2

Re: JAZZ FM Toronto Seeking "Time Capsule" Suggestions

August 15, 2023 4:43 pm  #3

Pretty impressive collection so far. Thanks for the update. 

Although I have to say, I've passed by The Rex for years and only saw a bear outside once!

And by the way, it's nice to know even Oscar Peterson takes a lousy passport photo. Has there ever been one of them that's ever come out good? If so, that should go in the time capsule too!

August 15, 2023 6:27 pm  #4

First thought that came to mind was the late Tommy Banks of Edmonton. Wonder if the family would have something to add? Major talent.

August 15, 2023 7:21 pm  #5

Ted O'Reilly's final live sign-off on JAZZ-FM from March 27, 2002...

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cjrt-oreilly-mar27-02.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 16, 2023 10:20 am  #6

Thanks for that Dale.  Beckoning back to a great times in the history of the radio station.

August 16, 2023 1:05 pm  #7

Not something for the time machine necessarily but one thing I would love to find is a tape of a free-form type rock program that CJRT used to have I think on Saturdays between 4 to 6 PM in the early 70's. I believe it was at one time hosted by Marty Melluish ( or maybe Wilder Penfield but I don't think so) and later by Terry Glecoff who also hosted the Open Lid on CKFH at one point.

The show used to follow Joe Lewis and Folk Music and Folkways. I do have a tape of a later edition of Folk Music and Folkways and  a short clip of that below.

Would be nice if the station had an archival tape of the rock show for us to hear. I know that I heard some Yardbirds on it and went out and bought an album by the group as a result. Also remember I believe Terry Glecoff playing the band Horeslips.

I know I have a tape or two of Ted O'Reillys program as well but that one may be harder for me to find right now.

Folk Music and Folkways 1990's CJRT

Last edited by Fitz (August 16, 2023 2:24 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 16, 2023 4:55 pm  #8

The late Larry Green on JAZZ FM 91 from August 10, 2002 (scoped):

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cjrt-green-aug10-02.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 16, 2023 4:56 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram