sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2023 1:21 pm  #1

Radio Stunt Included In The Star's Weirdest Events In T.O.'s 189 Yrs.

Toronto is celebrating 189 years this month, and the Toronto Star put together a highly debatable list of some of the city's strangest moments. And remarkably, it includes a stunt by a radio station that in the grand scheme of things, only happened in recent history. It's the second item on the list and comes from Indie 88.1. 

Toronto just turned 189. Here’s how weird we’ve been for all those years
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2023/03/13/toronto-just-turned-189-heres-how-weird-weve-been-for-all-those-years.html

I think the infamous Mike Cooper April Fool's stunt on CHUM in the 70s that led to the police showing up easily beats this one, but everyone has a different opinion. I can't imagine anyone trying something like this today, even as a joke. (By the way, who was the guy playing the supposed killer?)

March 19, 2023 8:49 pm  #2

Re: Radio Stunt Included In The Star's Weirdest Events In T.O.'s 189 Yrs.

More on the April Fool's stunt from Pat Bergin's very entertaining blog...

http://patbergin.blogspot.com/2011/12/coop.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 19, 2023 10:07 pm  #3

I don't think that April fools joke should have been played back then even.  Nowadays of course such a hoax would not be funny at all because people really do turn up at workplaces and murder employees.
Take the horrific Charlie Hebdo incident for instance.
That being said I do like some harmless April Fools pranks by the media.
Like the one where a radio station told listeners before they went to work that day they needed to wrap a plastic bag around their telephone receivers (in the days when everyone still had land lines) because the telephone company was going to blow the dust out of the phone lines that day.
Funny and harmless.
I also liked the prank where the news announced the country was going to switch to "metric time" and had a prankster pose as an expert to tell people how to convert regular time to metric.
Then there's silly phone pranks,
Every April 1st the Toronto zoo gets a flood of phone calls from wags asking to speak to zoo employees with names like Elly Fant  Don Key and Iggy Wahna.

March 19, 2023 10:36 pm  #4

Dale Patterson's site has the infamous CFTR Metric Time gag. You can hear it here. It was great. 

Then there's this classic from the great Jim Scott at WYSL, Buffalo, who was playing jingles from other radio stations and phony commercials during his April Fool's air shift sometime in the mid-70s. A remarkable aircheck that can be heard here.

March 19, 2023 11:39 pm  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

I don't think that April fools joke should have been played back then even.  Nowadays of course such a hoax would not be funny at all because people really do turn up at workplaces and murder employees.
Take the horrific Charlie Hebdo incident for instance.
That being said I do like some harmless April Fools pranks by the media.

Obviously the Toronto Police agreed with that sentiment back then, too!

I think in this instance, the fallout from the prank was more amusing than the actual prank itself. It certainly does point to a different time and atmosphere, long before workplace shootings had become sadly all too common. Although one thing to note, Coop appears to be painting the culprit as a random wackjob that's after him specifically, as opposed to some raging lunatic with an axe to grind going on a rampage. I think Coop can be forgiven, though, given that he was an (obviously) stupid 20-something year old (at least at that moment), who may have not fully understood the consequences of his actions, and also because of the fact that he's given us lots of great radio and genuine laughs during his extensive career.

It also points to a very different time when station management would go to the mat for their employees. Nowadays, saying something even slightly off-colour that could be considered offensive to even a miniscule segment of the public could get you shown the door, as well as making you persona non grata to anywhere else you might go to try to seek future employment. Radio and TV stations aren't interested in cultivating "stars" in the way they used to. They're more of a liability than an asset, especially to the bean counters. Most stations are looking for someone that's just popular enough to pull in the ratings, but not so popular that the station would end up with a black eye in the event that they have to get rid of them.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 22, 2023 12:34 pm  #6

The killer? One of Mike's ops, Steve Mitchell.

March 22, 2023 12:36 pm  #7

Gotta say he was very convincing. That's one smooth "operator!"

March 22, 2023 7:11 pm  #8

Loved the ‘none of your beeswax!’  Lol