sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2023 1:06 pm  #1

Two New Must Carry Channels Could Slightly Increase Your Cable Bill

The CRTC will be holding a hearing at the end of June to decide if two stations should be given mandatory carriage on all Canadian cable and satellite services. The channels are both based in the far north and neither are in English. 

Uguvat TV broadcasts in the Inuktitut language and offers "Inuit-made children’s shows, movies, documentaries, and informational, cultural, public access and current affairs programming."

The Inuit TV Network - or ITN - is in Inuktut and is "the regional educational television programming service for the Territory of Nunavut."

Both want to attain Must Carry status on cable systems bringing the Far North to subscribers across the country. That means they'll be on every service, whether you want to watch them or not. 

The former is asking for 9 cents a month from subscribers, while the latter is asking for a sliding scale that gets close to 8 cents per month at its peak. It won't amount to much on your bill - less than $5 a year all told - but you won't have an option to not get them.

The hearing will determine if the CRTC will grant the request, but given the current sensitive situation around the Indigenous and other Native peoples, I can't see any scenario where the Commission will deny the request. It's not clear if assent is given exactly when the stations would appear on your systems. 

Public comment on the proposal is open until April 14th.

CRTC Hearing Notice

March 15, 2023 2:46 pm  #2

Re: Two New Must Carry Channels Could Slightly Increase Your Cable Bill

These should NOT be on "Skinny Basic" in all of Canada but available for those who choose or perhaps on an upper tier package.    That's my 2 cents.   

Last edited by radiokid (March 15, 2023 2:47 pm)

March 15, 2023 2:53 pm  #3

I think the CRTC is well aware of that stance but knows that wouldn't be enough to fund the stations. So they'll approve it, even though they know only a handful of viewers will ever watch the channels. That's my guess and we'll see if it comes true after the hearings on June 28th.  

March 16, 2023 12:03 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The CRTC will be holding a hearing at the end of June to decide if two stations should be given mandatory carriage on all Canadian cable and satellite services. The channels are both based in the far north and neither are in English. 

Uguvat TV broadcasts in the Inuktitut language and offers "Inuit-made children’s shows, movies, documentaries, and informational, cultural, public access and current affairs programming."

The Inuit TV Network - or ITN - is in Inuktut and is "the regional educational television programming service for the Territory of Nunavut."

Both want to attain Must Carry status on cable systems bringing the Far North to subscribers across the country. That means they'll be on every service, whether you want to watch them or not. 

The former is asking for 9 cents a month from subscribers, while the latter is asking for a sliding scale that gets close to 8 cents per month at its peak. It won't amount to much on your bill - less than $5 a year all told - but you won't have an option to not get them.

The hearing will determine if the CRTC will grant the request, but given the current sensitive situation around the Indigenous and other Native peoples, I can't see any scenario where the Commission will deny the request. It's not clear if assent is given exactly when the stations would appear on your systems. 

Public comment on the proposal is open until April 14th.

CRTC Hearing Notice

The current sensitive situation?
You mean several hundred years of Europeans trying to eradicate them and indigenous peoples today simply wanting to find and count the dead bodies?
We owe more than 17 cents a month and the inconvenience of scrolling past channel 742.
You'll be fine, I promise.