sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2023 6:41 am  #1

Their newsroom was demolished, now their website.

The original CFRB website always posted background information of several current news stories.  These items were the major events happening in the city and the province the station was reporting.  The current CFRB website is just a list of voice clips from the previous show which is considered just a repeat, no longer a creditable news source.  Another "smart" Bell decision.  No wonder the current PPM numbers have CFRB at 1.1.  Looks good on them.    

March 15, 2023 6:57 am  #2

Re: Their newsroom was demolished, now their website.

Despite the terrible numbers, they sure don't seem to have a problem attracting advertisers. Last night, I was out walking the dog just after 8 PM and was listening to 1010, since there was little else on. They went to a break at the usual hard out time of :15 past the hour. They did not come back until :20. Doesn't sound like a lot, but that was five minutes of back-to-back-to-back-to-back etc. ads. 

It was unbelievable. I only decided to listen to see how many they would dare to air all at once. Assuming each one was 30 secs. long, that's 10 commercials in a row. Other than me, I can't see how anyone would stay tuned through that many spots. It becomes a test of endurance and frankly, their programming at that time of night isn't worth waiting for.

It continually amazes me how they refuse to admit or don't care that in this day of digital and push button radios, virtually no one is going to stay tuned through all of that. Perhaps that has something to do with their 1.1. If you chase away listeners that way, many won't come back. 

March 16, 2023 12:16 am  #3

I posted about the commercial load recently.  Vassay's 2 hour show is 1 hour and 18 minutes long because there are two 6 minute (top hour) breaks and six 5 minute breaks.

March 16, 2023 9:12 am  #4

With their current numbers, the advertisers will be getting a deal on the price, but some on there really have been for a long time.    The reps will have to work harder to sell, and make their budgets.  They also could be offering huge numbers of bonus spots to make up for the shortfall.    More spots does not mean they are making huge profits in this case..  Could be just what has to happen to pay the bills. 

March 16, 2023 9:50 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I posted about the commercial load recently.  Vassay's 2 hour show is 1 hour and 18 minutes long because there are two 6 minute (top hour) breaks and six 5 minute breaks.

Are these six minute breaks at the top of the hour including news, weather and traffic?  They also have traffic throughout her show on some other breaks.  I don't really find Vassy's radio program bad for commercial clutter.  I would rather they had the longer break and give her a longer segment for talk.  Maybe I just haven't been listening to her enough to really notice. 

I find Roy Green on the weekends whenever I have listened to him sounding rushed.  He often seems to need to break for a short commercial cluster.  Roy sometimes wastes too much time getting to the actual topic and guest and then after two minutes needs to break for commercials or news. He also never seems to have much time for callers when he finally gets around to take a few.