sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2023 10:50 pm  #1

Veteran DJ: CDs Were Great But Nothing Beats Vinyl On Air

"Before the CD, the studio was full of analog. Nothing was digital, not even the clock on the wall.

"I’d sit in front of the console, with a turntable on my left and a turntable on the right. Yes, we played records. It was magic when you cued up a record to play on the air. There were times when a record skipped and you would have to place a dime ever so gently on the arm of the turntable so the record would continue."

Veteran D.J.: I’ll celebrate 40 years of the Sony CD player but I still miss records and turntables, too

March 5, 2023 10:07 am  #2

Re: Veteran DJ: CDs Were Great But Nothing Beats Vinyl On Air

The MaxFM 89.1 morning show guys, OZ and Dangerous Dave, play an album cut that they bring from their personal collection around 7.40am Monday to Friday. It is cool to hear the scratches on the vinyl when the track begins. 

March 5, 2023 12:24 pm  #3

Every Tuesday is Turntable Tuesday on boom 97.3, Toronto.

March 6, 2023 10:54 pm  #4

Boom Boy your post makes me smile.  In the early days for me, it was the McCurdy turntables.  They were very large and round like a large pizza.  I do remember at CHUM-FM mixing songs live on air and being able to drop the needle exactly where I wanted it to be. I loved the visual aspect.   I must admit that in my 50 plus years on the air, I still prefer the turntable over CDs.